Cyclists on Footpaths!

Frank Smith

Not withstanding the Law that prohibits cycling upon our pavements and the general views on these pages that believe it to be wrong, and cyclists should take their chances and their proper place on our congested, narrow, not fit for purpose pot holed roads, I say no matter your age or your cycling level of competence, if you feel that there's the slightest chance that by riding on the road you'll end up getting flattened and dead, where it's safe and possible to do so, get yourself and your bike on the pavement and ride yourself safely home giving precedence and generous regard for pedestrians who occupy that same space.

That said, once our roads have been invested in and raised to a higher standard, probably in the year 2067, get yourself and your bike off the pavements and ride upon the nicely tarmac'ed road surface confident that there's little or no chance of you and your bike getting crushed by a passing commercial vehicle because it and it's bloody load have ample room to safely pass you by allowing you every opportunity to survive your journey to and from wherever it is you are travelling to.

How's that! You can't be fairer than that.

I do not agree at all. The law is there for a reason, you cannot decide which laws you are going to abide by and which ones that you are not. A member on here has already said, how long before the person on a scooter/moped decides I don't feel safe on the road and decides to join the other illegal footpath riders? You talk as if the footpaths don't have pot holes, a lot of the time they are much worse than the roads themselves. I tell you what, if I am walking along the footpath and someone cycles too close towards me and my kids, I will be pushing them off! Lets see what they think about that.

Clearly some idiots in these photographs and videos which frustrates me because I only have to just touch my mobile and I will get nicked, fined and issued a loads of points yet an uninsured unregistered cyclists can flout the law and nothing is done about it.

Adrian, Don't do that! Don't resort to violence. Violence only perpetuates further violence and angst in our already fragile society.Just think, if I push them off their bike, and I believe you would, and they sustain a serious life changing head injury, I might get prosecuted. Then you end up in prison and perhaps if your very unlucky some highly aroused masculine she bi.tch rapes you in your cell and you end up psychologically damaged by the terrible event.

And all because you pushed a cyclist off his bike! My advice to you lad is to step to one side, allow the cyclist to pass and when he's far enough away, and there's no chance he can come back at you and beat you senseless, shout something that'll make him realise how angry it makes you feel.

Course, you could do the sensible thing and not expose your hostile violent thoughts to the attention of people who, like me, think you mad for wanting to push someone off their bike. Just because I've written something that you don't agree with I'd hate to think that you'd carry out your threat and cause another person injury. My warmest regards to you.

Adrian, Don't do that! Don't resort to violence. Violence only perpetuates further violence and angst in our already fragile society.Just think, if I push them off their bike, and I believe you would, and they sustain a serious life changing head injury, I might get prosecuted. Then you end up in prison and perhaps if your very unlucky some highly aroused masculine she bi.tch rapes you in your cell and you end up psychologically damaged by the terrible event.

And all because you pushed a cyclist off his bike! My advice to you lad is to step to one side, allow the cyclist to pass and when he's far enough away, and there's no chance he can come back at you and beat you senseless, shout something that'll make him realise how angry it makes you feel.

Course, you could do the sensible thing and not expose your hostile violent thoughts to the attention of people who, like me, think you mad for wanting to push someone off their bike. Just because I've written something that you don't agree with I'd hate to think that you'd carry out your threat and cause another person injury. My warmest regards to you.

Well I am just venting my frustrations bobby, it is not right, and if a cyclist riding illegally on a footpath rides into me or my kids that is violent is it not? I understand that there is not enough infrastructure for cyclists but in fairness I have noticed when I travel about that a lot of towns and cities are slowly addressing this and it is not something that can happened overnight, nevertheless, many cyclist are just downright rude, selfish and cocky, I see this all the time and yes I know the same applies to motorists but the motorists does not windge and play the victim card. I didn't realise just how many people ride bikes on footpaths and flout the law to suit themselves until I started to read through this thread and now I cannot help but notice these people myself.

We have a pair of cyclists jumping the red lights this time.

http://www.youtu.be/ZfXtMYvYq2g

http://www.youtu.be/kjkk8kXJmTw

And have a guess what cyclists do when the lights are on green?

All of this in a space of just 20-30 minutes is unbelievable, interesting to see as there is no real argument here, the camera does not lie.

All of this in a space of just 20-30 minutes is unbelievable, interesting to see as there is no real argument here, the camera does not lie.

The offending is obvious. But this is ultra low level stuff. Enforcement of that is not practical. Throwing money at solving it will not attract a financial return. 

On 07/11/2017 at 23:24, Roger said:

The offending is obvious. But this is ultra low level stuff. Enforcement of that is not practical. Throwing money at solving it will not attract a financial return. 

It would if they starting handing out decent fines of £100+ each time. Police are quite happy to pull over a motorist to hand out a £100 speeding fine for someone driving at 33mph in a 30mph I know this because it happened to my mate not that long ago. 

Ultra low level stuff, have a look at the videos Roger that I filmed only this afternoon, some of these idiots are pulling out in front of other vehicles after jumping a red light, all low level until one of these vehicles knocks over and kills or serious injures the cyclist and then guess who they will try to blame. This is potentially life changing stuff in reality.

On 07/11/2017 at 23:30, Colin James said:

It would if they starting handing out decent fines of £100+ each time. Police are quite happy to pull over a motorist to hand out a £100 speeding fine for someone driving at 33mph in a 30mph I know this because it happened to my mate not that long ago. 

Ultra low level stuff, have a look at the videos Roger that I filmed only this afternoon, some of these idiots are pulling out in front of other vehicles after jumping a red light, all low level until one of these vehicles knocks over and kills or serious injures the cyclist and then guess who they will try to blame. This is potentially life changing stuff in reality.

Hardly ultra low level stuff imo either, watching these films has come as a bit of a shock, i cannot understand how they are getting away with this, if this were someone in a car or van it would be a different story altogether 

I agree Colin 100% enforce the law and issue bigger fines, that is the only way it will ever be controlled. This never happened on this scale when was a kid growing up.  

The reality is that the enforcement of a particular problem is now just reactive at a local level. Other than random speed stuff with cars. 

Sorry, I'm not offering to 'fill in the blanks' vis-a-vis this poor old lady's demise. But I would guess that if you could a) get through on the telephone and speak to someone at West Mercia Police Authority and b) enquire precisely how many successful prosecutions have thus far been brought against cyclists riding on the city's pavements, the answer would probably be: "This is an on-going situation which we recognise and accordingly a cross-community group has been set up (with Home Office funding) to explore the problem".

The reality is that the enforcement of a particular problem is now just reactive at a local level. Other than random speed stuff with cars. 

What utter nonsense, the police just need to issue fixed penalty notices (that is what they are for) no paperwork it is very simple.

This article in this weeks Hereford Times just goes to show how bad the problem has become.

So someone else that not only thinks it is acceptable to ride of a footpath they have the stupidity to make a video about themselves doing it to.

Ha ha yes I was just reading this, quality.

On 09/11/2017 at 21:34, Clarkester said:

Apart from the fact that she clearly isn't cycling on the pavement...

The others, they are tools, but this lady is quite clearly walking with her bike.

Well when I first saw the video on my mobile this morning at 3.26 she rides up onto the footpath on the Old Bridge and which point it froze. It was not until I got home this evening that I managed to see it all and realised that to be fair to Helen a few seconds later she actually got off her bike and walked. So I apologise for my mistake, I have also apologised on the HT website. 

That said, there are far far too many people riding on footpaths, which is more than evident in the debate.

This morning on Barton Road I was walking with my son, who was on his way to school.

We were two abreast, as would be normal.

I became aware of a cyclist right behind us on the pavement. The bell rang once. I ignored it. The bell rang again. Still I ignored it. The bell rang incessantly for a third time, at which point I looked over my shoulder and told the cyclist (a mature lady) that I was not deaf.

She told me not to be rude.

I said I wasn't being rude and she accused me of raising my voice, which I had not done.

Eventually, she rejoined the road and went past.

This afternoon I encountered a cyclist coming towards me on the same bit of pavement as I walked home.

The lady dismounted and walked past me.

Think I'm happy to share the pavement with sensible and considerate cyclists who don't take the Mick (and don't tinkle their bell at me!).

This morning on Barton Road I was walking with my son, who was on his way to school.

We were two abreast, as would be normal.

I became aware of a cyclist right behind us on the pavement. The bell rang once. I ignored it. The bell rang again. Still I ignored it. The bell rang incessantly for a third time, at which point I looked over my shoulder and told the cyclist (a mature lady) that I was not deaf.

She told me not to be rude.

I said I wasn't being rude and she accused me of raising my voice, which I had not done.

Eventually, she rejoined the road and went past.

This afternoon I encountered a cyclist coming towards me on the same bit of pavement as I walked home.

The lady dismounted and walked past me.

Think I'm happy to share the pavement with sensible and considerate cyclists who don't take the Mick (and don't tinkle their bell at me!).

Glad that you stood your ground, the only thing I would of done differently was to tell them this is a footpath.

I spotted this idiot bombing along the footpath in Commercial Road, I first spotted him absolutely flying past the church and the Golden Galleon chippy, once the traffic moved my passenger took these photos a little further down. He was lucky that nobody just walked out of the chippy becuase he would of been hard pressed to have avoided anyone because of how fast he was going. You can hardly see him until he comes into the brighter area near the bus station car park entrance.

post-134-0-93081600-1510392188_thumb.jpg

post-134-0-69875200-1510392210_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can now see why they cycle on footpaths. They shouldn't though. With the recent white spell, Ive been forced to cycle on the main roads to the Hospital/ station from Belmont, as the main cycle route GWW was severed, and still not gritted! Glad I’m still here! The majority of drivers are courteous but there are a few with the you're not passing me - get off the road bloody Mentalities.

And please do feel free to explain why I cant use the lanes correctly as a motorist does, when I am considerably faster than the moving traffic? I also drive when necessary btw!

Go on snow and ice do one so I feel safe on two wheels once again!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Colin, The guy at the Asda Roundabout sitting on his bike at the Crossing... that's a Pedestrian & Cycle Crossing, and he's doing nothing wrong.

So it is illegal (in most cases) to ride a cycle on a footpath yet you can climb on it to ride across a pedestrian crossing? That will only encourage cyclist to keep ring on the footpaths once they have crossed surely? What is the point of this?? 

Cyclists should NOT be riding their bikes on footpaths at all!