Cyclists on Footpaths!

Frank Smith

Classic journey this morning, my passenger did the filming, we were behind this cyclists and witnessed him ride straight through at least two sets of traffic lights when they were on red and he was on a video call most of the time. 

http://www.youtu.be/pabn2YEwUAE

http://www.youtu.be/ruDmZ6AXIXk

Video call while riding on the main road, unbelievable!! But had he of been knocked over the motorists would have got the blame no doubt 

I've just returned home from 4 nights in cornwall. I cannot recall seeing anyone cycling on a pavement in Penzance, st Ives, looe or liskeard. Within 10 minutes of getting back to Hereford I'd seen two people cycling on the pavement. I've been up st Owen street this morning and saw two more at it. What is it about Hereford?

I've just returned home from 4 nights in cornwall. I cannot recall seeing anyone cycling on a pavement in Penzance, st Ives, looe or liskeard. Within 10 minutes of getting back to Hereford I'd seen two people cycling on the pavement. I've been up st Owen street this morning and saw two more at it. What is it about Hereford?

It happens daily in Hereford but in fairness cyclists in London are even less considerate.

Last Wednesday I was walking in Commercial Road near to,the old Chads premises at about 11.30am heading towards the Station direction . Initially I was " admiring " the tarmac strip , a metre wide running up both sides of the road where previously there were block paving .

When without warning a speeding cyclist riding in the same direction as me brushed my left arm as he road past . He then continued at speed swerving around other pedestrians . He continued across Blueschool St / Commercial Rd cross roads at similar speed with complete disregard for traffic and pedestrians , continued his journey on the left hand pavement towards the Railway Station .

Without doubt a serious accident / collision will take place in the Pedestrian Area involving a Cyclist and a Pedestrian in the near future .

Last Wednesday I was walking in Commercial Road near to,the old Chads premises at about 11.30am heading towards the Station direction . Initially I was " admiring " the tarmac strip , a metre wide running up both sides of the road where previously there were block paving .

When without warning a speeding cyclist riding in the same direction as me brushed my left arm as he road past . He then continued at speed swerving around other pedestrians . He continued across Blueschool St / Commercial Rd cross roads at similar speed with complete disregard for traffic and pedestrians , continued his journey on the left hand pavement towards the Railway Station .

Without doubt a serious accident / collision will take place in the Pedestrian Area involving a Cyclist and a Pedestrian in the near future .

I see this EVERYDAY! Why are the police not doing anything about this?

I saw a guy riding no handed again this morning while texting. I have just dropped the Mrs off to work and already seen at least 3 cyclists and it is only 0825.

Belmont Road Mobile Phone.jpg

This guy was on his mobile as you can see

Bridge Cyclist.jpg

New bridge criminal

Holmer Road Cyclist.jpg

Holmer Road footpath cyclist

Im glad im not on them pics! however I don't ride on the pavements. I do ride over the Vicky bridge if no one is about tho. But I will dismount when there are folk on it and challenge other cyclists riding over! Lights/helmets are a must. Red lights are for a reason and the Highway Code doesn't change for cyclists! Most of my riding is done on trails or around the city via GWW. (Where I have been told several times that I shouldn't be riding down there!! - idiots)

The biggest challenge I face is gangs of pram mums 3 abreast and totally ignorant, and wayward dogs on long leads trying to second guess where they might run too.

Considering others costs nothing. Show some respect.

Fine cyclists not adhering to the Highway Code.

In the Sunday Express today:

Cyclists kill or maim two pedestrians every week, according to statistics

ALARMING accident statistics have shown a record number of pedestrians are being killed or seriously injured in crashes with cyclists.

Over the past seven years there have been 25 pedestrians killed in accidents with bikes and another 700 seriously injured – meaning roughly two people every week are being killed or badly hurt in crashes with bikes.

The Department of Transport data, which does not state who is at fault in the accidents, shows three pedestrians were killed in crashes with bikes last year and another 112 were seriously injured.

Readers comment: "Why did the existing laws for drivers, which Matthew Briggs wants extending to cyclists, not stop 226 pedestrians being killed by drivers in 2016?"

and

Jesse Norman - Transport Minister

"We already have strict laws to ensure drivers who put people’s lives at risk are punished but, given recent cases, it is only right for us to look at whether dangerous cyclists should face the same consequences"

Vote winner for Jesse here in Hereford?

Hi all,

New to Hereford Voice and joined to see if any threads/comments on this topic and have read with interest the comments on this subject. I moved my business into Hereford city center some 7/8 months ago and we have offices near the cathedral. Everyday I walk my dog in my lunch hour and every day we are confronted by people on bikes on the pavements.

I have had 3 serious near misses in that time and one where I actually fell ( I am not elderly or infirm BTW) as a young "head-phoned man" was going so fast he didn't see the dog lead ( not one of the extendable ones but a regular length thick black cord one ) between my dog and I. I was spun so hard from my shoulder as he cut between us I fell over and no he didn't stop. Luckily I fell onto some grass and not the path but I felt pretty stupid and shaken up.

The old bridge is a huge issue with cyclists coming off the tow path and straight onto the pavement - I actually had to step into the road last week as the cyclist coming towards me showed no sign of going around me and it seemed the safest option - but the worst has to be the Victoria Bridge...you know the one that has "NO CYCLING" in white on the ground.

Today I have seen an elderly lady and her dog almost taken out and a gentleman in a wheelchair and his wife forced into the side right in the middle of the bridge as a woman furiously peddled over. She wasn't even going to stop for him !Its so so dangerous.

I heard Hereford city center described as being "Lawless" the other day and I think I agree. I'm not sure what the answer is but after one poor lady lost her life to a cyclist on a pavement I am stunned that no one else has been seriously injured.

Glad to see Im not the only one who sees this as a huge problem. Stay safe pavement walkers!!!

Hi all,

New to Hereford Voice and joined to see if any threads/comments on this topic and have read with interest the comments on this subject. I moved my business into Hereford city center some 7/8 months ago and we have offices near the cathedral. Everyday I walk my dog in my lunch hour and every day we are confronted by people on bikes on the pavements.

I have had 3 serious near misses in that time and one where I actually fell ( I am not elderly or infirm BTW) as a young "head-phoned man" was going so fast he didn't see the dog lead ( not one of the extendable ones but a regular length thick black cord one ) between my dog and I. I was spun so hard from my shoulder as he cut between us I fell over and no he didn't stop. Luckily I fell onto some grass and not the path but I felt pretty stupid and shaken up.

The old bridge is a huge issue with cyclists coming off the tow path and straight onto the pavement - I actually had to step into the road last week as the cyclist coming towards me showed no sign of going around me and it seemed the safest option - but the worst has to be the Victoria Bridge...you know the one that has "NO CYCLING" in white on the ground.

Today I have seen an elderly lady and her dog almost taken out and a gentleman in a wheelchair and his wife forced into the side right in the middle of the bridge as a woman furiously peddled over. She wasn't even going to stop for him !Its so so dangerous.

I heard Hereford city center described as being "Lawless" the other day and I think I agree. I'm not sure what the answer is but after one poor lady lost her life to a cyclist on a pavement I am stunned that no one else has been seriously injured.

Glad to see Im not the only one who sees this as a huge problem. Stay safe pavement walkers!!!

Hi and welcome to Hereford Voice, yes this is a major problem that I have been highlighting in this topic. The police need to do more to prevent this happening instead of ignoring it.

Look at this caught yesterday morning, one chap riding into town on the footpath and another chaos riding on the WRONG side of the road coming towards us! We have to keep an eye out for idiots like this all the time.

BR.jpg

Holmer Rd.jpg

And as for this guy, I am surprised he could even ride his bike trying to balance all this stuff!

On 13/10/2017 at 17:30, Colin James said:

Look at this caught yesterday morning, one chap riding into town on the footpath and another chaos riding on the WRONG side of the road coming towards us! We have to keep an eye out for idiots like this all the time.

And as for this guy, I am surprised he could even ride his bike trying to balance all this stuff!

The cyclist in the bottom photo is actually on a cycle path but this crosses over at the traffic lights and around widemarsh common. You often see people carrying on down Newtown road on the pavement after the cycle path has crossed the road. Walking from bobblestock to the hospital one morning this week down grandstand road I counted 8 people cycling on the pavement. One weaved at speed around a mother pushing a pram out onto the pavement and then around two young children walking towards holmer school

The cyclist in the bottom photo is actually on a cycle path but this crosses over at the traffic lights and around widemarsh common. You often see people carrying on down Newtown road on the pavement after the cycle path has crossed the road. Walking from bobblestock to the hospital one morning this week down grandstand road I counted 8 people cycling on the pavement. One weaved at speed around a mother pushing a pram out onto the pavement and then around two young children walking towards holmer school

We managed to grab another shot of hime riding with all of this stuff on his handle bars around the corner and trust me he continued to ride up right into Newtown Road

HR.jpg

Hi Tara.

I mentioned a while ago, and I'm not sure how many people remember, if someone could confirm for me.

I'm sure a few years back an elderly lady, who was visiting the city for the day, was struck by a cyclist in Commercial Street, and she subsequently succumbed to her injuries. Can't remember what happened to the cyclist, certainly nothing like the furore surrounding the recent case in London. At the time the police said they were going to crack down on cyclists in the pedestrianised parts of High Town.

I see little evidence of this, with the exception of a few posters, aimed at cyclists, pointing out that CCTV is in operation! Big deal.

I have been monitoring this topic and I am really quite surprised at how frequent people actually ride their bikes on footpaths, this is pretty dangerous for pedestrians particularly on narrow footpaths. I also was not really aware of how bad this problem has become, the police should enforce the law, I remember as a kid growing up, police would always tell you to get off your bikes and were hot on no lights etc.

On 13/10/2017 at 17:30, Colin James said:

This is unbelievable really, so one cyclists is riding his bike on the footpath and then this other idiot is riding on the road but in the wrong direction all captured in this one photo, it is not wonder the statistics make for interesting reading. If you had of knocked this prat off his bike they would be looking to blame you as the motorists, how frustrating.