Cyclists on Footpaths!

Frank Smith

Cyclists on Footpaths!

5abdf962639b9_NoCycling.png.c790c8a20917165fe0ed5c54e5e201b2.png

Should cyclists be allowed on footpaths?

I ask the question because this morning I was walking along Belmont Avenue and a chap on a bike knocked into me from behind and almost knocked me to the floor as he came speeding past me on along the footpath on his bike. He turned around and shouted sorry pal but to be honest it not only startled me but I will probably have a bruise on my arm. I could have easily lost my balance and fallen into the road.

I thought riding a bicycle on a footpath was illegal? I appreciate that some people do not like riding on the roads and most of the councils in the country are implementing cycle lanes where they can but if the roads are narrow in the first place it makes it very difficult. I always remeber growing up that the police would tell you to get off your bike and walk on footpaths but that does not appear to happen anymore.

I have just seen this article on Sky news

Illegal or not, when was the last time anyone saw a cyclist using a pavement being approached by an officer of the law?

My front door opens directly onto the pavement. I've lost count of the number of times I've almost had a collision with a cyclist when leaving my house. Now I look both ways, as if I'm crossing the road!!!

One more for you. A year ago I was walking along Broad Street, away from High Town. A cyclist was coming towards me on the pavement, no lights (it was dark enough to need them) and effectively going the wrong way on a one way street. I watched in horror as I became aware of a car approaching the cross roads from West Street. I was helpless to stop either of them. The cyclist seemed not only oblivious to how daft they were being, but also to the fact that they were approaching a road crossing, where pedestrians would always come to a stop before crossing.

She went straight in to the wing of the car, her wheel hitting the car's wheel, she rolled over the bonnet, bike looked a mess and bloke swearing about the damage to his car, which was a lovely mini less than a year old.

Cyclist was having a go at the driver!

No insurance to pay for the car damage obviously. What if someone had been injured??

• Thumbs Up 1

It is sad that all cyclists seem to get the blame for the actions of a minority. But you are right if there was a bit of enforcement there would less problems

I agree AV however, I do see many cyclists riding on the pavements, riding across pedestrian crossings without getting off their bikes and ignoring traffic lights. I actually saw a lad today on his mobile phone while riding on the path, the law should be applied to all road users, I also think cyclists should have some sort of insurance.

• Like 1

Cyclists should not be allowed to ride on footpaths, they are FOOT paths. I understand all the reason behind this but it is starting to become the norm and I think the police and local authorities needs to do more in the way of enforcing the law and by providing more cycle lanes, which I appreciate is difficult on a lot of narrow roads.

• Like 1

Cyclists should not be allowed to ride on footpaths, they are FOOT paths. I understand all the reason behind this but it is starting to become the norm and I think the police and local authorities needs to do more in the way of enforcing the law and by providing more cycle lanes, which I appreciate is difficult on a lot of narrow roads.

I agree Bill, and I am a cyclist. As I cycle around Hereford I notice that a lot of the road is often taken up with cars parked all day and night on main roads. For example at the bottom of Belmont Road as you approach the Asda junction if you cycle on the main road you have to go outside of parked cars with not much space for cars wanting to overtake the slower cyclist (me). It means that vehicles take up effectively 3 to 4 lanes and yet there is no dedicated space for cyclists who are not very confident on roads and want something safer than fresh air to protect them from vehicles. The same applies on Whitecross road, where it seems that rather than clear a whole lane of parked cars (right by the old Bulmers staff car park) the Council have made the pavement "shared space" and put pedestrians and cyclists together.

I have now got rid of my car as I use it so little. Instead I just hire one if I need to go away anywhere this way. Some cars in Hereford seem to be parked for days without any noticeable use. I am surprised that more people don't do what I do and save quite a bit of money by not having a car.

I agree that cyclists have become a hazard on pavements and the law does little to prevent it.

If footpaths are above a certain width cycling is allowed but I have always thought the onus is on the cyclist to respect the welfare of pedestrians in the same way as the onus is on motorists to respect the welfare of cyclists on the road (not sure if this is law or just accepted courtesy). Whether law or courtesy I see little evidence of it shown by cyclists riding illegally on footpaths.

The shared space pavement on Whitecross road confuses me as the law clearly states that riding a cycle on a pavement is illegal.

• Like 1

I agree that cyclists have become a hazard on pavements and the law does little to prevent it.

If footpaths are above a certain width cycling is allowed but I have always thought the onus is on the cyclist to respect the welfare of pedestrians in the same way as the onus is on motorists to respect the welfare of cyclists on the road (not sure if this is law or just accepted courtesy). Whether law or courtesy I see little evidence of it shown by cyclists riding illegally on footpaths.

The shared space pavement on Whitecross road confuses me as the law clearly states that riding a cycle on a pavement is illegal.

Width is immaterial - it is the legal status of the path. As George says, if they are designated as 'shared space' then cycling is allowed and these paths are signed with small repeater signs showing a pedestrian and a bicycle. Many in the City are far from ideal but they are a lot better than nothing. I use the Whitecross Road one for instance, as a cyclist, to get to Plough Lane without having to try and turn right across Whitecross Road. You do have to be wary of wandering pedestrians who are inevitably oblivious to the fact that it is a shared space and they should act accordingly. 

Thanks for the clarification George.

I still think for a footpath or pavement to legally be used by cyclists they must be above a certain with. I am not sure of the width but it is somewhere about 2 meters. 

As I remember it that stretch of pavement along Whitecross road is particularly wide and so would lend itself to dual purpose and provide safe access to Plough lane.

As a pedestrian and cyclist I am in sympathy with Twowheelsgood. When walking I always make a point of keeping to the left of the path when sharing with cyclists (not sure as it should really be the right as walking along an unpaved road) but unless I concentrate find myself meandering to the center. I think people do not naturally walk in a straight line but do meander which clearly does cause a problem for cyclists. 

All bikes should have a bell on them.  I use mine when coming from behind to warn people there is a cyclist approaching, if I am on a shared use path. Most people are fine about this but some seem cross when I have rung it, as if I was trying to frighten them. It is just to warn them not to meander in front of a relatively slow moving bike they wont have seen and which is effectively silent. 

I did have a dilemma when the children were young as I didn't like my children under the age of 8 cycling on the road if it was a busy. I would try and choose quiet routes, but sometimes we would be on a short stretch of busy road and then I would encourage them to cycle on the pavement for safety but to get off there bikes if there were pedestrians. I think there needs to be more respect for all people travelling, and from car drivers in particular towards cyclists. Some car drivers seem to think cyclists have no right to be there.

One long stretch of wide pavement which you rarely see people walking on is the A49 from Asda aroundabout up to the Victoria Street subway. This would be ideal for shared space, but no one seems to have done this section of pavement. Any one know why not?

All bikes should have a bell on them.  I use mine when coming from behind to warn people there is a cyclist approaching, if I am on a shared use path. Most people are fine about this but some seem cross when I have rung it, as if I was trying to frighten them. It is just to warn them not to meander in front of a relatively slow moving bike they wont have seen and which is effectively silent. 

I did have a dilemma when the children were young as I didn't like my children under the age of 8 cycling on the road if it was a busy. I would try and choose quiet routes, but sometimes we would be on a short stretch of busy road and then I would encourage them to cycle on the pavement for safety but to get off there bikes if there were pedestrians. I think there needs to be more respect for all people travelling, and from car drivers in particular towards cyclists. Some car drivers seem to think cyclists have no right to be there.

One long stretch of wide pavement which you rarely see people walking on is the A49 from Asda aroundabout up to the Victoria Street subway. This would be ideal for shared space, but no one seems to have done this section of pavement. Any one know why not?

Maggie I have much respect for all other road users, however in my experience cyclists are even worse in some cases! Particularly in London, they all try to be clever now by wearing head cameras (I understand the reasons why) and a lot will go out of their way to provoke motorists, believe me, I have seen it all. Many also expect the motorist to abide by the highway code, yet when it suits they will go the wrong way around small junctions and bollards, often they will mount the pavement to avoid red lights and once the other side will come back down onto the road, they will often ride 2 or 3 side by side, so it is virtually impossible to pass them in a vehicle. I see guys riding no handed while texting and this is on the pavements. They will often shout abuse too, so they are not as squeaky clean as people may think. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maggie I have much respect for all other road users, however in my experience cyclists are even worse in some cases! Particularly in London, they all try to be clever now by wearing head cameras (I understand the reasons why) and a lot will go out of their way to provoke motorists, believe me, I have seen it all. Many also expect the motorist to abide by the highway code, yet when it suits they will go the wrong way around small junctions and bollards, often they will mount the pavement to avoid red lights and once the other side will come back down onto the road, they will often ride 2 or 3 side by side, so it is virtually impossible to pass them in a vehicle. I see guys riding no handed while texting and this is on the pavements. They will often shout abuse too, so they are not as squeaky clean as people may think. 

Colin there are often bad cyclists as there are bad motorists. I have seen the behaviour of bad cyclists in London but this is not the majority of cyclists and certainly doesn't apply to many biking around Hereford.

In the last few months cars and vans have been used as terrorist weapons to kill and maim people but I do not claim that all car drivers are terrorists! However, a bad motorist will do more damage than a bad cyclist. 

Cyclists are not permitted to ride on non designated pavements. Likewise, cars aren't permitted to drive on pavements and yet how many times have pedestrians tried to get passed cars blocking pavements around Hereford. It is not unusual, especially outside schools to see parents having to steer pushchairs into traffic because cars are blocking pavements.  As I said we should all respect each other, and to do this we should all respect Highway rules. I understand that The Highway code actually permits cyclists to cycle 2 a breast as car drivers should view all cyclists as if it were another vehicle and give them 1.5M clearance when passing. 

Colin there are often bad cyclists as there are bad motorists. I have seen the behaviour of bad cyclists in London but this is not the majority of cyclists and certainly doesn't apply to many biking around Hereford.

In the last few months cars and vans have been used as terrorist weapons to kill and maim people but I do not claim that all car drivers are terrorists! However, a bad motorist will do more damage than a bad cyclist. 

Cyclists are not permitted to ride on non designated pavements. Likewise, cars aren't permitted to drive on pavements and yet how many times have pedestrians tried to get passed cars blocking pavements around Hereford. It is not unusual, especially outside schools to see parents having to steer pushchairs into traffic because cars are blocking pavements.  As I said we should all respect each other, and to do this we should all respect Highway rules. I understand that The Highway code actually permits cyclists to cycle 2 a breast as car drivers should view all cyclists as if it were another vehicle and give them 1.5M clearance when passing. 

I agree it is not the majority of cyclists and I thought that I made that point clear but I do not agree that a bad motorist will do more damage than a bad cyclist because that has to come down to the individual circumstances of any incident, but I have witnessed a 3 car pile up in central London only 2 years ago, which was down to a bad cyclist, who was not insured either! I can remember at the time some the people complaining to the police (who attended) about damages and that the cyclist had said that he was not insured which is something else that should be a legal requirement in my view.

I agree that cars should NOT park on the pavements and I will be running an article covering that very subject in the next week or so. I have some rather interesting photographs. 

The Highway Code Does Not Apply to Some Cyclists Then?

While I am in total favour of promoting cycling where possible and encouraging motorists to use their bicycles for short trips, what I find very frustrating is when some cyclists think the law (highway code) does not apply to them, particularly when it comes to traffic lights, junctions, pedestrian crossings and footpaths.

I see cyclists virtually everyday jumping red lights and riding on and off footpaths to avoid red traffic lights and junctions. I saw a chap again this evening, no lights and texting while he was riding along the footpath.

Over the next few weeks, I will try and photograph/video each time I witness this happening using my dash cam or asking my passengers to gather the evidence when they are with me. I just want to record and highlight how often this is happening, I think you may be surprised. Yes, I know motorists are often no better but I do hear the cyclist claiming to be the victim just a little too frequent.

if they expect to be treated like any other road user, then they also need to abide by the same rules, they can't have it both ways!

I came back from Fownhope this evening with my Mrs and I could see this cyclist all over the place, coming through High Town, one minute on the road, the next on the footpath anyway, we were eventually sat at the Old Bridge waiting for the traffic lights to change when I noticed the same cyclist coming along the road from behind us, you guessed it, he mounted the footpath to avoid waiting for the traffic lights to change.

Ignore Traffic Lights.jpg

When we got down to the next junction (opposite Asda Garage) we had passed another cyclist in St Martins Street, so I asked my good lady to just film the traffic lights while we were sat there waiting because I just knew he wasn't going to stop either!

Guess what? 

The Highway Code says the cyclists should ride single file, especially on narrow roads, see screenshot:

post-114-0-33142900-1503524920_thumb.png

This is one thing that does annoy me. I have read Frank Smith's post to and the police need to do more. Police target the easy target motorists all the time and it is about time they clamped down on other road users. Only yesterday I saw someone riding a bike over the Vicky bridge almost knocked a couple over, they actually had to stop because cyclists didn't 

Spot on comments.

Cyclists have no regard for the Highway Code, the unwritten rules of the road and good manners.

After all it is as rare as hen's teeth to see a motorist jump a red light, enter a roundabout with no regard for any cyclist already on it, ignore the "yellow box", park on double yellow lines, park too close to a junction, drive too close to cyclists, force cyclists into the gutter, park across pavements or speeding. Not to mention pedestrians thinking it is quite reasonable to let their children and/or dogs wander across a shared cycleway with out any regard for those cyclists entitled to use it.

I say ban all cycling now and lets increase pollution and make a justification for a bypass 

Spot on comments.

Cyclists have no regard for the Highway Code, the unwritten rules of the road and good manners.

After all it is as rare as hen's teeth to see a motorist jump a red light, enter a roundabout with no regard for any cyclist already on it, ignore the "yellow box", park on double yellow lines, park too close to a junction, drive too close to cyclists, force cyclists into the gutter, park across pavements or speeding. Not to mention pedestrians thinking it is quite reasonable to let their children and/or dogs wander across a shared cycleway with out any regard for those cyclists entitled to use it.

I say ban all cycling now and lets increase pollution and make a justification for a bypass 

Spot on comment. Motorists kill 3000+ people every year, including cyclists, and its accepted that that’s just the way it is. Cyclists kill on average 3 people per year. The issue with bikes is that anyone aged from 6 to 100 can ride them - I doubt very much that any 15 year old pavement riding oik has even heard of the Highway Code, even assuming he can read. So, it's a question of education as much as anything. I don't condone law breaking, I don't do it when I'm on my bike but then I'm old school, but I will very occasionally ride on a pavement where the road is simply too dangerous to do otherwise (south of Belmont roundabout for instance), but I'll always stop/give way to any pedestrians. Just to correct some of the comments further up the thread - this IS allowed and the Police are well aware of it. I do regularly cycle over the Vicky Bridge, but only when there is no one on it, otherwise I'll walk - it's just a common courtesy (and in fact I did get a 'ruling' from the ward councillor that he would support this if it was ever challenged). I do have third party insurance for my own safety - I'm far more likely to be knocked off by a speeding Audi (very nearly, twice this year) than I am to cause an accident - but that's my choice and it would be impossible to make it compulsory, and nor should it be.

Very valid points made from all, trouble is EVERY cyclist tends to get tarred with the same brush these days. I do ride occasionally (not much this year due to a 16 mile round trip commute and crappy weather on weekdays) and I will admit to riding on the pavement at times, especially along sections of Holme Lacy Road and occasionally Belmont Road. However, as a motorist as well, I still follow the highway code when it comes to crossings and traffic lights, waiting my turn with the rest of the traffic.

I think some form of road safety training should be compulsory in schools (I think some are already) with cycling related stuff from late primary school, and car related in late secondary level, and with the advent of VR software, then it could be reinforced quite well.

Spot on comments.

I agree hence my original comment: 

Yes, I know motorists are often no better but I do hear the cyclist claiming to be the victim just a little too frequent   

Very valid points made from all, trouble is EVERY cyclist tends to get tarred with the same brush these days. I do ride occasionally (not much this year due to a 16 mile round trip commute and crappy weather on weekdays) and I will admit to riding on the pavement at times, especially along sections of Holme Lacy Road and occasionally Belmont Road. However, as a motorist as well, I still follow the highway code when it comes to crossings and traffic lights, waiting my turn with the rest of the traffic.

I think some form of road safety training should be compulsory in schools (I think some are already) with cycling related stuff from late primary school, and car related in late secondary level, and with the advent of VR software, then it could be reinforced quite well.

In fairness to this topic Colin has not said all cyclists, he has written "some cyclists" there is good and bad in all but I do hear of a lot of cyclists playing the victim card and because riding a bike appears to score additional brownie points by being eco friendly, many use this to justify their actions. The law should apply to all road users and just because one group of people tick all the nice boxes it should not make them exempt.

I see this guy has got off with the Manslaughter charges only yesterday, he has been found guilty of a smaller crime and will have a reduced punishment in comparison.

Motorists who break the law are issued fines and penalty points and in more severe cases are banned altogether, yet cyclists will only ever have fines if caught and small ones too! The law needs to be updated to include cyclists, particularly now that we are seeing an increase in bikes on the roads.

Think that this is a very relevant Topic.

The majority of motorists and pedal cyclists comply with the Law 100% .

It's the small minority that let their side down,

About 6 months ago I was in the Pedestrian area of Commercial Road leading from High Town when I saw a Postman riding , I presume an issued Royal Mail pedal cycle, at the same time he appeared to be texting - therefore not looking where he was going .... Pedestrians were moving out of his way but the fixed Waste Bin by Nationwide wasn't ! The cycle hit the immovable object and the Postie slide forward off his saddle with a screech of pain !

Going on from that , most days I see cyclists riding on the pavement down Whitecross Rd / Eign St towards the town from the Sainsburys traffic lights dodging around the pedestrians . This will continue , I know , until a pedestrian is injured . There have been a number of verbal confrontations between the cyclists and pedestrians along this stretch of pavement.

A few years ago, an old lady visiting Hereford, was knocked over by a cyclist near McDonald's I believe. Not sure of all the ins and outs, but if I remember correctly she sadly passed away as a result. There was a big hoohah, rightly so, and the police promised to take a very tough stance against cyclists in pedestrianised areas - this has not happened - many cyclists regularly in High Town etc. Can anyone fill in the blanks for me?