Housing Plans - Keepmoat Appointed As Preferred Bidder

Colin James

Herefordshire Councils ambitious plans for growth are a step closer to delivery with the appointment of Keepmoat Homes Ltd (Keepmoat) as a preferred bidder to become the councils partner developer at cabinet today, Thursday 27 July 2017.

Keepmoat Homes.jpg

Keepmoat, once officially appointed, will contribute to the delivery of 800 homes for Hereford city centre and to the housing targets set for the county, of which a significant number will be enabled by the Hereford Bypass.

As a partner developer, Keepmoat will use local labour and the local supply chain, creating jobs, apprenticeships, training and education opportunities in the construction industry.

Councillor Harry Bramer, cabinet member contracts and assets said:

The appointment of Keepmoat as our preferred bidder and subsequently our partner developer means that the council retains its ability to raise capital from the councils land holdings, whilst controlling the nature, speed and character of the countys development.

Keepmoat will provide support for local businesses, third sector groups and the community as well as improving skills and educational attainment through training and apprenticeships. This in turn will enable the development of new economic activity to address the problem of low wages in the county.

The council has appointed its preferred bidder and reserve bidder after a competitive tender process.

Really? After all the issues with the development at the Oval, builders not getting paid, low standards of finish etc, they are retaining them? Can't help but worry what these places will be like once the initial house builder guarantee has run out......I certainly wouldn't buy one, too many issues and hidden clauses (plus the recent developments in leasehold properties that have surfaced in the media)

Really? After all the issues with the development at the Oval, builders not getting paid, low standards of finish etc, they are retaining them? Can't help but worry what these places will be like once the initial house builder guarantee has run out......I certainly wouldn't buy one, too many issues and hidden clauses (plus the recent developments in leasehold properties that have surfaced in the media)

I understand that they have been many many problems at the Oval, the new flats on Beattie Ave have many issues already, they cannot seem to work out how to achieve level gardens either, they are all over the place, is it that difficult? 

As people have said already, the problems at the Oval redevelopment has been continual. I heard a lot of raised voices and bad language one day at the houses that had just been built across the road from me. the workmen had come to fit the kitchens, the houses was dark inside so the workman switched on the lights only to find they would not come on, on closer inspection it was found the houses had been built and no services had been installed, no gas, electrics or water mains, they had to build a 6ft deep trench to put the services in, this was 3 weeks before the people were given their keys. In others floors were not flat, problems in the bathrooms, kitchens and the gardens. While I was the councillor I was getting calls every day from the residents with one complaint or another. Keepmoat has got a very bad reputation  in other parts of the country, and now they have got the contract for another 800 houses. I hope they have learnt from their mistakes, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I hear that the are quite a few problems at the Oval site

As people have said already, the problems at the Oval redevelopment has been continual. I heard a lot of raised voices and bad language one day at the houses that had just been built across the road from me. the workmen had come to fit the kitchens, the houses was dark inside so the workman switched on the lights only to find they would not come on, on closer inspection it was found the houses had been built and no services had been installed, no gas, electrics or water mains, they had to build a 6ft deep trench to put the services in, this was 3 weeks before the people were given their keys. In others floors were not flat, problems in the bathrooms, kitchens and the gardens. While I was the councillor I was getting calls every day from the residents with one complaint or another. Keepmoat has got a very bad reputation  in other parts of the country, and now they have got the contract for another 800 houses. I hope they have learnt from their mistakes, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Raised voices and bad language, really Glenda? It is a building site, what do you expect? 

• 5 months later...

Thousands of new homes and hundreds of jobs to be delivered in the county over the next ten years

Herefordshire Council has formally appointed Keepmoat Ltd as their partner developer to deliver ambitious housing and growth plans for Hereford City and the wider county.
The agreement, which will span over a ten year period, will see Keepmoat developing sites along the City Link Road, and sites in the market towns over the next two years, with further development planned over further years.

The Keepmoat Ltd bid was submitted in conjunction with a number of partner organisations including Keepmoat Regeneration Engie, WMs Housing, Herefordshire Housing Ltd and City Heart.

Councillor Harry Bramer, cabinet member contracts and assets said:

“The partnership will go much further than the delivery of new homes. It will also promote economic growth across the county through a number of initiatives including developing a strong local supply chain with at least 50 percent of suppliers and contractors coming from within Herefordshire.

The council will also retain its ability to raise capital from the council’s land holdings, whilst controlling the nature, speed and character of the county’s development.

Keepmoat will provide support for local businesses, third sector groups and the community as well as improving skills and educational attainment through training and apprenticeships. This, in turn will enable the development of new economic activity to address the problem of low wages in the county.”

Peter Hindley, CEO of Keepmoat Homes, added:

“We’re excited at the prospect of working with Herefordshire Council over the next 10 years, or more, to deliver much needed high quality new homes across the county.

We are also committed to a significant Community Investment programme, including sourcing local talent and creating opportunities for employment and training for local people. 

This is a perfect example of how our business model of working in close partnership with local authorities, housing associations and other delivery partners can accelerate home building and improve local communities.”

The partnership is to launch a programme of wider regeneration initiatives in March 2018 with the first new homes expected to be delivered early in summer 2019.

Developers do drag their feet on resurfacing the roads  - it is as if once the houses are built the builders think they have done their work.  We are having the same problem in Kingstone with the builders making all kinds of excuses.

Nothing like HC putting all our eggs in one basket hope Keepmoat can come up with the goods!

Keepmoat in Liverpool are having a right pasting by the media, most buyer have had their leasehold cut or sold off without knowledge!

First-time buyers' anger at Keepmoat as they accuse housebuilder of 'appalling treatment'

An action group has been set up to lobby MPs by disgruntled homeowners

Angry residents in a west Hull estate are up in arms about the "appalling" treatment they have received from a well-known housebuilding firm.

Residents on the Scholars Gate development in Riley Way, off Spring Bank West, Hull own their properties on a lease. This usually means they pay the owner of the freehold, who owns the land and immovable structures on it, an annual sum - ground rent - until the lease expires.

When they bought their new homes, some residents asked Keepmoat Homes, which developed the estate, whether they could buy the freehold from them.

The homeowners say they were told they would have to wait two years and pay their lease in that period before they could buy the freehold.

But the residents have now discovered the freehold on their homes has been sold to other companies, and buying it back could be even more expensive.

Karen Platten, 41, was shocked to discover the freehold on her home, which Keepmoat Homes said she could only buy in two years' time, had been bought by another company.

"They completely changed their policy in March but totally refused to sell us the freehold - they said it was not an option," she said.

"We then weren't even offered it before they sold it to a third party and that is disgusting."

Neighbour Tom Hammett said he was also told he could only buy his home's freehold in two years, but has now been informed it has been sold to another different company.

Mr Hammett said: "(The new company has) sent us a letter now requesting we pay them a non-refundable fee of approximately £140 for them to give us a price for the freehold.

"It is more infuriating because it was something I specifically enquired about at the time of purchase and we were told something which turned out to be simply not true."

Mr Hammett and Ms Platten are members of a group of residents who have contacted Hull West MP Emma Hardy and Sajid Javid, communities and local government minister, to complain about Keepmoat Homes.

The ‘Residents of Scholars Gate’ Facebook group is fronted by fellow resident and professional lobbyist Richard Royal. He said: "The way new home buyers are being treated by Keepmoat is appalling and completely inconsistent.

"I’m a first-time buyer and wanted to purchase freehold but was told this was impossible – yet when I moved in I found that the couple only two doors away were offered it, albeit at a cost, whilst others were offered it for free.

"Keepmoat only sold my leasehold a few weeks ago despite my complaints over many months beforehand, so they could have let me buy it."

Keepmoat Homes said the firm only began selling 'freehold only' properties in July this year. Previously, only customers who bought the lease and wanted to buy the freehold were offered the option to do so.

The firm is currently liaising with six customers at Scholars Gate regarding the sale of their freeholds.

A spokesperson said: "In May 2017, Keepmoat Homes' Leasehold Policy was updated to reflect changes in the market, with lenders and in line with the industry.

"At this time, customers who had reserved plots were offered the option to purchase the freehold prior to exchange and additionally customers who had already exchanged were contacted personally and offered a further opportunity to purchase the freehold interest.

"There was a further update to Keepmoat Homes' Leasehold Policy in July this year we took the decision to revert to selling freehold only properties (where we have the ability to do so), following concerns expressed by some of our customers and negative perceptions in the media."

‘UNJUST’ LEASEHOLDS TO BE BANNED BY GOVERNMENT BUT IS IT TOO LATE FOR SALFORD?

Leasehold Reform -  House of Commons Hansard - 7th November 2017

Bill read the First time; to be read a Second time on Friday 2 February 2018, and to be printed (Bill 121).

Keepmoat managing director Ian Hoad said: “New Bolton Woods is an exciting, and high priority regeneration project, and is set to genuinely bring a new lease of life to an area that has previously been overlooked. Our work will also forge the way for further regeneration in the area.

Reading the above I can see what he means - very profitable!

The Preferred Bidder! Carillon were often the preferred bidder and companies like Keepmoat will continue to be the preferred bidder until they inevitably overstretch themselves, run up massive debts to the little self employed guys, have a couple of hundred thousand pounds worth of assets left on their balance sheet and then go belly up leaving everyone scratching their heads wandering why they were appointed the preferred bidder over and over again.

It's ridiculous and it'll continue this way because those at the helm are thick!

The Preferred Bidder! Carillon were often the preferred bidder and companies like Keepmoat will continue to be the preferred bidder until they inevitably overstretch themselves, run up massive debts to the little self employed guys, have a couple of hundred thousand pounds worth of assets left on their balance sheet and then go belly up leaving everyone scratching their heads wandering why they were appointed the preferred bidder over and over again.

It's ridiculous and it'll continue this way because those at the helm are thick!

To be fair Keepmoat ain't that big are they and are small fry compared to other house builders with most of their house building

being for first time buyers.

Extract from article in Money Week 19th January 2018

After two years of news stories about the plight of new-build homeowners, the government has finally announced a ban on new-build houses being sold as leasehold, and other measures designed to cut out unfair and abusive practices within the leasehold system.

This problem has been around for a while, but has only recently made it to the forefront of the national consciousness. Although traditionally leasehold ground rents were “peppercorn†ones (essentially negligible), in recent years housebuilders have quietly created a new revenue stream by including escalating ground-rent terms in the leases of new-build houses.

Onerous ground-rent arrangements include those that see initially affordable sums double, or rise in line with inflation, every ten years. Some leaseholders will be paying annual ground rent of more than £9,000 in 50 years’ time. On top of this, freeholders also have the power to charge homeowners’ unregulated “consent fees†to extend or alter their house.

Following a government consultation last year, communities secretary Sajid Javid said it was “unacceptable for homebuyers to be exploited through unnecessary leaseholds, unjustifiable charges and onerous ground rent termsâ€. The new rules mean ground rents on new leases – for both houses and flats – will be set to zero.

The government will also write to developers to ask them to provide “necessary redress†to leaseholders with the most onerous terms, and work with the Law Commission to try and make it easier for leaseholders to buy their freehold.

also

Useful sites for new home buyers

New Home Blog - Keeping UK new home buyers informed

Brand New Homes