Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Weeds verging on the ridiculous

Balfour Beatty Hereford Hereford Voice

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 24 July 2017

Yep the same thoughts passed through my mind

#32 H.Wilson

H.Wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 July 2017

Hereford in Bloom 

lol good one 

#33 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 July 2017

I am fed up of hearing people blaming the government for everything. The council have the money, I know that my community charges have gone up and they managed to find the money to extend and upgrade the planning office in Blueschool Street  but can't find the money to kill weeds, yeah right. What do you mean it is no good moaning about it, go and remove them ourselves? You will be telling us next that we have to arrest the local burglars ourselves. 

You have a point Steve  :Thumbs-Up:

#34 Maggie May

Maggie May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 July 2017

I agree that people could tidy up the pavement outside their own homes but undertaking work on road junctions is not possible as volunteers are not insured (or permitted by Balfour Beatty) to work on the Highway. I went out with little ones this weekend and there is a junction on Tower road where there is a lovely Buddleia which is now taller than the junction bollards! This can only be the Highway Authority responsibility, but whilst the Council have previously removed safe trees on roads in Hereford, they seem unable to remove trees growing wild out of the middle of a small bollard junction. The Council seem to have just found an extra £1million for Blueschool St so why are they unable to maintain our roads and pavements in a fit state? I used to be a proud Herefordian but I am now very embarrassed by the state of our once lovely City.

#35 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 25 July 2017

It would be a good idea if everyone kept the area outside their own house clean.

It seems those paid to do the job cannot even be bothered.
I took these pictures yesterday of a young girl with a dustcart going through town not even bothering to pickup any rubbish.
One of the reasons why is because she was on her phone.

Attached Thumbnails

• pp.jpg
  • pp1.jpg
  • pp2.jpg
  • pp3.jpg
  • pp4.jpg

#36 Pete Boggs

Pete Boggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 28 July 2017

No point in moaning about it, please volunteer to get rid of the weeds in your patch.

Isn't that what we pay our Council Tax for? Why isn't the Council managing the contract effectively?

It's no use pleading poverty when we know there's money for £250k websites and massive overspends on Council building improvements.

#37 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 07 August 2017

It seems those paid to do the job cannot even be bothered.
I took these pictures yesterday of a young girl with a dustcart going through town not even bothering to pickup any rubbish.
One of the reasons why is because she was on her phone.

This topic is about weeds not high town litter. 

#38 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 07 August 2017

Isn't that what we pay our Council Tax for? Why isn't the Council managing the contract effectively?

It's no use pleading poverty when we know there's money for £250k websites and massive overspends on Council building improvements.

Good point Pete

#39 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 07 August 2017

This topic is about weeds not high town litter. 

Could say the same about posts 2,8,18,19 & 22 but I ain't moaning

#40 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 07 August 2017

Could say the same about posts 2,8,18,19 & 22 but I ain't moaning

I am not moaning ragwort, and you have a valid point but I think we could easily stray away from this topic which is about weeds, trees and general lack of dealing with all the overgrowth in Hereford. You have highlighted another problem in our city LITTER! This also needs addressing but I think it warrants a topic and debate of it's own or would be better added to this one

#41 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 07 August 2017

I am not moaning ragwort, and you have a valid point but I think we could easily stray away from this topic which is about weeds, trees and general lack of dealing with all the overgrowth in Hereford. You have highlighted another problem in our city LITTER! This also needs addressing but I think it warrants a topic and debate of it's own or would be better added to this one

You could say that about this topic.
There are dozens of topics here that broadly are on about the same sort of problem but for some reason warrant yet another topic.

#42 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 August 2017

Setting the standard - a fine welcome to the City for those arriving by bus. Rusty, dirty, leaning (and unnecessary) railings and a bumper crop of weeds. Classy.

IMG_20170811_152359770.jpg

IMG_20170811_152344780.jpg

#43 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 11 August 2017

Setting the standard - a fine welcome to the City for those arriving by bus. Rusty, dirty, leaning (and unnecessary) railings and a bumper crop of weeds. Classy.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170811_152359770.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170811_152344780.jpg

Yes mate, I took a photo ops these last week just forgot to upload it, also a beautiful photograph of the weeds growing out of the top of our medieval city walls, something we should be proud of not IGNORE!

Bus Station.jpg

Hereford City Wall.jpg

Hereford City Walls 1.jpg

#44 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 11 August 2017

Too awful.  Do the Council no longer care that Hereford city and the outskirts has become a dump! 

#45 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 12 August 2017

https://www.theguard...rize-wye-valley

#46 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 12 August 2017

In Kingstone we have an excellent lengthsman who does his best with limited resources owing to the continual cut backs from Central Government.

Looking around it certainly does not look as neglected as the city and the outskirts.  We are also blessed with one lady in particular who has arranged with Balfour Beatty  to have bags dropped off for her and then when she has done her picking puts the bag(s) on top of a public bin for collection.  Prior to that there was also a couple who would do a lot of litter picking each week.

What we do have a serious problem with is mindless destruction in the Playing Field which is run by a charity and volunteers are responsible for its' upkeep. Then just one or two twits are determined to vandalise certain areas.  The latest destruction is to take four wheels off a train thing in the nursery play area.  This would have involved removing 10 nuts and bolts on each wheel and a vehicle would have been required to transport the wheels. Because of limited resources these wheels will not be replaced and the best we can hope for is that some very clever person can craft some wooden discs to make the "vehicle" look more respectable.  It is exceedingly soul destroying when people give of their time to try and make an area nicer and pleasant to live in when you get mindless bastards spoiling the good work.  Slightly off topic but still relevant to the downward spiral of the county.

#47 megilleland

megilleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 13 August 2017

Call for action over ragwort

No use changing the e in your name ragwert to hide. The NFU are after you!!

Edited by megilleland, 13 August 2017 .

#48 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 13 August 2017

Yes indeed watch out Ragwert they are after you!

The field that they wish to build 150 houses in Kingstone on is yellow with Ragwert - there have been many complaints but as yet no action.  Ragwert gets everywhere

Edited by Denise Lloyd, 13 August 2017 .

#49 Frank Smith

Frank Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationHereford.

Posted 15 August 2017

The weeds on top of the city walls have really grown, why are they not being removed? It is bad enough seeing all the weeds and litter on our streets but the city walls are part of our heritage, we need to get onto Jesse Norman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Balfour Beatty, Hereford, Hereford Voice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users