Post Grenfell Tower.

bobby47

With the country's public sector resources stretched to the limit, and technicians working around the clock to check suspect tower block cladding (that's without even knowing what the bill will be for replacing suspect panels; or the costs of rehousing displaced council tenants), can anyone explain how it is possible for 'that woman' to squander £1-billion to buy the short-term Parliamentary support of a bunch of homophobic, anti-abortion, climate-change-denying bigots? I find it absolutely obscene.

Oh bugger off with this utter crap! Labour would of done EXACTLY THE SAME had they of been in this position. They do not have the majority so had little in the way of options if we are all honest here.  

Oh bugger off with this utter crap! Labour would of done EXACTLY THE SAME had they of been in this position. They do not have the majority so had little in the way of options if we are all honest here.  

You took the words right out of my mouth. They were never going to back in with the lib dems, green party were a waste of time with only 1 seat and who did that leave the stupid SNP, so they had no real choice

With the country's public sector resources stretched to the limit, and technicians working around the clock to check suspect tower block cladding (that's without even knowing what the bill will be for replacing suspect panels; or the costs of rehousing displaced council tenants), can anyone explain how it is possible for 'that woman' to squander £1-billion to buy the short-term Parliamentary support of a bunch of homophobic, anti-abortion, climate-change-denying bigots? I find it absolutely obscene.

Labour are complaining today that Northern Ireland should not get more funding than other parts of the UK and that May has given them a deal “to help her cling to powerâ€.

“Where is the money for the Tory-DUP deal coming from? And, will all parts of the UK receive the much needed additional funding that Northern Ireland will get as part of the deal? This Tory-DUP deal is clearly not in the national interest but in May’s party’s interest to help her cling to power.â€
Almost gotta admire the hypocrisy…

In 2010 Gordon Brown wrote to the DUP seeking a deal to help him cling to power. He guaranteed money for Northern Ireland and implied Northern Ireland would need more cash than the rest of the UK:

“I am writing to confirm my continued commitment to the block grant for Northern Ireland for the current financial year and to confirm the financial settlement for the budget of the newly established Department of Justice… As you know, I believe it is an imperative to stabilise the economic recovery in Northern Ireland…. I recognise that the legacy of the past will make this more difficult to achieve in the coming months than we may expect in other parts of the United Kingdom. This is a challenge we must all meet. The achievements made by you and the political leaders of Northern Ireland have been an example to us all. I remain firmly committed to doing all I can to support this momentous progress and you can count on my continued support.â€

In 2015 Labour under Miliband did the same.

It's called political expediency - all parties do it. Don't pretend you're surprised.

And the hate just keeps on coming from some quarters doesn't it?

Tell me, just what is this "elephant in the room" which has been alluded to?

On second thoughts - don't bother. I don't think I could stomach the response.

You are more than happy to highlight my comment on the elephant but you make no reference to the other comments with reference to the thousands of flood victims I notice? I bet you would of jumped on that one if they had been refugees hmm?

post-134-0-85589800-1498590849.jpg

The Communities and Local Government Department says 14 high-rise buildings in nine local authorities have failed cladding tests. All Labour run authorities, all cladding fitted in 2005/06 under a Labour Government. Pre economic crash, pre Cameron, pre austerity. Oh, and one authority is Islington. Their MP for 34 years has been Jeremy Corbyn. 

Awkward.

I am not sure which comments you refer but in regard to the Conservatives going into power with the DUP, any other party would of done the same in their circumstances, end of!

The only reason the conservatives are going into power sharing with the DUP is because none of the other parties will go into power with them… you could say they are desperate to hang onto power after running a very poor election campaign? but I don't agree with you saying any other party would have done the same they may well have gone into power sharing with another party but it would not be with the DUP because they would not be so desperate as to do so.

The only reason the conservatives are going into power sharing with the DUP is because none of the other parties will go into power with them… you could say they are desperate to hang onto power after running a very poor election campaign? but I don't agree with you saying any other party would have done the same they may well have gone into power sharing with another party but it would not be with the DUP because they would not be so desperate as to do so.

Well we will have to agree to disagree but you would say that I guess. So what would you have done then if your were in the same position? Please don't suggest resigning either....

Well we will have to agree to disagree but you would say that I guess. So what would you have done then if your were in the same position? Please don't suggest resigning either....

Go to the polls again but with a new & revised manifesto austerity free especially while Brexit negotiations are on going…be very careful who is hired as my advisors & go after Corbyn by debating him one on one.

You need to show you can lead the country while not duck a fight but with a caring heart & sensible head fill the electorate with confidence in your ability to lead through all the tough negotiations of leaving the EU while not neglecting the needs of the people…also don't take it for grated you are going to win because the polls say so.

Go to the polls again but with a new & revised manifesto austerity free especially while Brexit negotiations are on going…be very careful who is hired as my advisors & go after Corbyn by debating him one on one.

You need to show you can lead the country while not duck a fight but with a caring heart & sensible head fill the electorate with confidence in your ability to lead through all the tough negotiations of leaving the EU while not neglecting the needs of the people…also don't take it for grated you are going to win because the polls say so.

You are starting to sound more and more like that stupid dwarf in Scotland now, lets have another GE, we have only just had one and guess what? Labour were over 50 seats behind the Conservatives, over 50 seats mind you! Okay the Conservatives I must admit had a terrible campaign and lost their majority but the public certainly do not need yet another election right now. Everybody and I mean everybody needs to support this government now in negotiating the best Brexit deal they can get. What the 40% of youngsters that Labour gained during their targeted campaign have actually done is to massively weaken our country's strength against the EU Elite for these negotiations.

You are starting to sound more and more like that stupid dwarf in Scotland now, lets have another GE, we have only just had one and guess what? Labour were over 50 seats behind the Conservatives, over 50 seats mind you! Okay the Conservatives I must admit had a terrible campaign and lost their majority but the public certainly do not need yet another election right now. Everybody and I mean everybody needs to support this government now in negotiating the best Brexit deal they can get. What the 40% of youngsters that Labour gained during their targeted campaign have actually done is to massively weaken our country's strength against the EU Elite for these negotiations.

Exactly that

You are starting to sound more and more like that stupid dwarf in Scotland now, lets have another GE, we have only just had one and guess what? Labour were over 50 seats behind the Conservatives, over 50 seats mind you! Okay the Conservatives I must admit had a terrible campaign and lost their majority but the public certainly do not need yet another election right now. Everybody and I mean everybody needs to support this government now in negotiating the best Brexit deal they can get. What the 40% of youngsters that Labour gained during their targeted campaign have actually done is to massively weaken our country's strength against the EU Elite for these negotiations.

You asked me what I do & don't say resign so I told you…your responds is laughable it also tells me you have no real confidence in Mrs May to get a majority without going into partnership with the likes of the DUP if she did go to the polls again? Perhaps your really afraid that she'd lose to Corbyn if that was to happen?

Your also forgetting it was her who called for a GE in the first place because she believed she would win by a landslide it did not happen therefore she did not get a mandate!!!

A 50 seat majority it might be but it's still not enough for her to do as she wishes!

Just to correct you the stupid dwarf from across the border as you put her wanted a indyref again & not a GE

You asked me what I do & don't say resign so I told you…your responds is laughable it also tells me you have no real confidence in Mrs May to get a majority without going into partnership with the likes of the DUP if she did go to the polls again? Perhaps your really afraid that she'd lose to Corbyn if that was to happen?

Your also forgetting it was her who called for a GE in the first place because she believed she would win by a landslide it did not happen therefore she did not get a mandate!!!

A 50 seat majority it might be but it's still not enough for her to do as she wishes!

Just to correct you the stupid dwarf from across the border as you put her wanted a indyref again & not a GE

I am fully aware of about the little dwarf, I was making reference to her asking for another referendum simply because they didn't get the vote they wanted, so if you like I was being sarcastic by suggesting people asking for another GE amounts to the same, maybe you didn't get that? I am also fully aware that the PM did not need to call a GE but was trying to strengthen our hand with a mandate, of course if backfired, I think we all acknowledge that, nevertheless, imo the DUP was the only choice to make up the numbers and to be fair, the won the first vote last night... :Winky:

Ah. Sarcasm.

T'is the very lowest form of wit, Paul.

If I may respond to a point you made in post number 45, I will never - and I mean never - support this, or indeed any Tory government.

I'm pretty sure there are a fair few who share this view.

I don't know. These bloomin' looney lefties are everywhere now Paul. They'll soon be playing the tune that you'll find yourself dancing to.

I don't know. These bloomin' looney lefties are everywhere now Paul. They'll soon be playing the tune that you'll find yourself dancing to.

I'd have thought that if this election had any lessons to teach us it was of the dangers of hubris and counting one's chickens before they're hatched. That goes both ways. Donnell didn't get much of turn out for his "Day of Rage" did he?

I am fully aware of about the little dwarf, I was making reference to her asking for another referendum simply because they didn't get the vote they wanted, so if you like I was being sarcastic by suggesting people asking for another GE amounts to the same, maybe you didn't get that? I am also fully aware that the PM did not need to call a GE but was trying to strengthen our hand with a mandate, of course if backfired, I think we all acknowledge that, nevertheless, imo the DUP was the only choice to make up the numbers and to be fair, the won the first vote last night... :Winky:

You were being sarcastic really? well it was a pretty poor attempt at sarcasm as the two are totally different having a vote on a single issue such as indyref or Brexit is not the same as voting in a GE so as ludicrous as it might sound to you don't be surprised if we end up going to the polls again in 6 months time.

Essentially, having read the threads of comments, not withstanding that everyone feels that all these deaths by fire and smoke are a tragedy, there appear to be two distinct sides to an emerging disagreement.

One side of the argument seems to be happy that society is providing money and accomadation to ease the burden of the survivors who pretty much lost everything and in many cases their loved ones, and the other side argue that it's not right that they're being helped as much as they are.

To be fair to the latter side of the argument, the weather is reasonable at the moment, it's not particularly cold, and it would have been more fiscally responsible to the taxpayers if the local authority had popped up a couple of hundred tents and got the survivors to live within them and then queue daily to collect a food parcel to sustain them through this period of misery in their now changed lives.

Course, the other side, the one I'm drawn to, could possibly be misguided tree hugging humanistic idealists who never address the real problem in our modern society that is people like those who once lived in the Tower haven't worked hard enough to become wealthy, poverty is their own fault and Jeremy Corbyn is the real enemy of a people who should be more appreciative of the rich and wealthy who's hard work allows the poor to carry on being poor.

Ah. Sarcasm.

T'is the very lowest form of wit, Paul.

If I may respond to a point you made in post number 45, I will never - and I mean never - support this, or indeed any Tory government.

I'm pretty sure there are a fair few who share this view.

Morris dancing of course :) 

Interesting revelation on BBC news bulletins this morning. At a 'closed' session in Kennsington last night, police confirmed that, as yet, no warrants for manslaughter have yet been issued, nor have any documents been seized. Horses and stable doors comes to mind.

And they never will.

The panels are British standard & pass Building regulations and also have a fire spread class 0 rating.

It probably has a spread rating of 1 but meets class 0 because it meets British standard part 7 for spread of flame & 

part 6 fire propergation.

A class 1 fire spread is 165mm in 10 mins but take into account the shear mass of these panels on a high rise tower block and the immense heat & flame spread produced would drastically reduce this time......Which it did.