More & More Commercial Properties Now Residential

Colin James

I cannot help but notice that more and more commercial properties are having a change of use to become residential. Personally, I would prefer to see an empty property being used however, for me, it is about finding that balance between satisfying the need for homes or allowing the constant shrinking of Hereford's commercial properties.

One of my concerns is, if the council allow the change of use from commercial to residential to often, how long will it be before residents start to complain about the 'business's next door', being to noisy or about smells, lights, people, traffic etc...

I think that this conversion in Eign Road looks terrible. 

Eign Road.jpg

I cannot help but notice that more and more commercial properties are having a change of use to become residential. Personally, I would prefer to see an empty property being used however, for me, it is about finding that balance between satisfying the need for homes or allowing the constant shrinking of Hereford's commercial properties.

One of my concerns is, if the council allow the change of use from commercial to residential to often, how long will it be before residents start to complain about the 'business's next door', being to noisy or about smells, lights, people, traffic etc...

I think that this conversion in Eign Road looks terrible. 

attachicon.gifEign Road.jpg

It's not as approved - I have already complained to Planning about it. Unfortunately that small area of Eign Street is rapidly becoming a shanty town, despite being in the Central Conservation Area.

The shop to the RH side is also due to be converted under the same permission. Two 'bedsits' barley big enough for a bed each.

Pretty sure Kamals and English audio were residential before they were retail.And its about time all

those retail units by Steels were converted into flats.Them shops has always looked a mess and usually empty.

The Kamal has been an Indian restaurant for the past 33 years and originally opened in May 1982. I am pretty sure it was a restaurant prior to this but not 100%.

English Audio, was a commercial property before it came English Audio, I know Adrian English pretty well, so I will have to ask him.

As for the commercial properties in Eign Gate, yes many do not look the best however, a revamp is what is required here not flats! 

The butterfly hair salon had a revamp last year and looks excellent in fairness. It is 2 doors along now from the old Butterfly that you see in the photograph. 

Sadly Colin these commercial properties like many just aren't viable anymore, I appreciate you know the lass that runs the hair salon but it's a grubby area, you can't park, limited commercial access for deliveries and noisy. The heavy traffic and its close vicinity means you would struggle to keep it clean not to mention the common use of front doorways. I would rather see them being used for something particularly when people are struggling to find reasonable rents....by the way things are a happening at the bomb site.