Jim Kenyon stands for South Herefordshire seat in General Election

Denise Lloyd

This I received from Jesse - strange the things which he omitted - No 1 Ledbury Road - NHS  - Council Farms - Care Services - State of the roads - traffic.  Many of which are local to us but to me they matter an awful lot.

Last week Parliament voted in favour of a General Election, which will be held on Thursday 8th June.  I am delighted to confirm that I was officially re-adopted as the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Hereford and South Herefordshire on Saturday morning.

Theresa May is rightly seeking a mandate of her own for strong leadership at this election. Amongst the party leaders, she in particular is getting huge support from across the political spectrum. An increased majority would give her a much stronger hand when it comes to negotiating with our friends in continental Europe, and in resisting calls for a second referendum in Scotland.

But my first goal has always been to revitalise our local economy - to build a Herefordshire which combines high economic growth with a celebration of our natural heritage and farming economy, from the Golden Valley down to Ross-on-Wye.  I hope you will agree that the past seven years have been ones of real progress towards that goal.

Back in 2010 Herefordshire did not have the Old Market shopping centre on Edgar Street, the new cattle market off the Roman Road, or its booming Enterprise Zone at Rotherwas. There was no fast broadband anywhere in the county.  The idea of a new university was just a pipe-dream, not a project of national importance backed by significant Government support.

Now we have all those things, in place or in prospect. We have been an effective force fighting for the county's interests, by working together at every level, from the Council to Parliament. 

It has been my huge honour to be your MP - I feel the privilege of it every day, and I always will - and my team and I are ready to get campaigning.  But I need your help, to win and to continue what we have begun.

As in 2010 and 2015, I will be running a highly local, highly positive campaign. As you will know, negative campaigning is not my style.  

Two years ago we achieved a great result in Hereford & South Herefordshire. But now we need to do it once again. Now, as then, we will take to the streets, stuff envelopes, hold fundraisers and do much more to ensure that our progress does not falter. There is still a vast amount to be achieved for our county, and for our country.

But whatever you can do, from door-knocking and leafleting to putting up a poster or making the case with your friends over a cup of coffee, can make a real difference.  Please join me in this election campaign - email me via support@jesse4hereford.com, and together we can make it happen.

As ever,

Jesse

This is a interesting development I think he has got every chance of pushing the norm to the wire…my only reservation is as a independent he may be up against it in parliament if he does get in?

So he could turnout to be a cuckoo in the nest & join the conservatives at a later date?

This might be a stupidly obvious question but I will ask it anyway. Does this mean Jim K now stands down as a Councillor?

If that is the case there will be 2 very significant local elections - his replacement and Graham Powell's replacement

Good point Denise & if so will those elections be held at the same time as thE GE?

I have been advised that Jim Kenyon can stay as a district and city councillor through the election process, if he is successful he would then have to resign from both councils as a councillor. I have been told he has had a few meetings with the Independents in Hereford, and will attend their next meeting.

This is a interesting development I think he has got every chance of pushing the norm to the wire…my only reservation is as a independent he may be up against it in parliament if he does get in?

So he could turnout to be a cuckoo in the nest & join the conservatives at a later date?

If he got in as an Independent the parties would be all over him for his support and as we all know everything comes at a price...so Jim might get better delivery on promises ...Well at least more so than the current crowd.

I would dearly love to post something on the HT site but it is so bloody rubbish with all the clutter trying to load up.

I've sat within Jim's patch for a few years now and he's done nothing but good here. He does not have to play the party game he doesn't need to have a personal opinion or position on any policy pitched by the current outfit and we are talking one outfit because all the others are finished.

Jim needs to have his doors open and be prepared to listen to his constituents and not some party office somewhere in lala land.

Anyone voting Labour,Lib Dem, Greens or IOC in this county will be wasting there time....so give your vote to someone who gives a damn otherwise it's just another run of Conservative blue in Herefordshire. Give the bloke a chance what have you really got to lose.

If he got in as an Independent the parties would be all over him for his support and as we all know everything comes at a price...so Jim might get better delivery on promises ...Well at least more so than the current crowd.

Parties would be all over him? GK do mean local or national?

Another thing you need to factor in is that this election is all about Brexit…do we know which side of the fence Jim sits on on this issue? Because that could be key?

Although we might want to see change at a local level we can't change that particular political landscape during this election as the Tories will still have control of the council no matter what & that's where we need change most in my opinion.

So if Jim does get elected to parliament will he be able to weld much sway over our cabinet cabal? Because to be honest I don't think MP's can?!

I will add that this is a good thing that he is standing even if he doesn't win & to be honest I'm not so sure he will?…but having said that it will be close really close your probably only be able to fit a rizla paper between them?

But at lest that might be the kick in the arse the Norm needs? As he's become complacent since his promotion!

Parties would be all over him? GK do mean local or national?

Another thing you need to factor in is that this election is all about Brexit…do we know which side of the fence Jim sits on on this issue? Because that could be key?

Although we might want to see change at a local level we can't change that particular political landscape during this election as the Tories will still have control of the council no matter what & that's where we need change most in my opinion.

So if Jim does get elected to parliament will he be able to weld much sway over our cabinet cabal? Because to be honest I don't think MP's can?!

I'm making reference to Jim's potential as an MP at national level. Sitting Independent MPs can carry much weight when Government is trying to secure the transition of a Bill through Parliament. Sure he won't get much of a say at local level however we can't forget that local conservatives generally tow the party line and I'm sure pressure can be applied from above when necessary. As for Brexit well what's to be done...well nothing it doesn't really matter what his position is on this because it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

Jim may well be able to secure more from central government for his constituents than our current MPs who may occasionally squeak at mum but generally fall into line with house rules.

I'm making reference to Jim's potential as an MP at national level. Sitting Independent MPs can carry much weight when Government is trying to secure the transition of a Bill through Parliament. Sure he won't get much of a say at local level however we can't forget that local conservatives generally tow the party line and I'm sure pressure can be applied from above when necessary. As for Brexit well what's to be done...well nothing it doesn't really matter what his position is on this because it's going to happen whether we like it or not.

Jim may well be able to secure more from central government for his constituents than our current MPs who may occasionally squeak at mum but generally fall into line with house rules.

I have to disagree GK I'm sorry I don't think independent do carry much weight that's why so few are elected…don't forget he'll be competing against 600 plus other MP's.

Brexit is still hugely important if the pm gets a landslide as predicted then a independent MP will be shoved right to the back of the que.

However if he does get elected I would not be at all surprised to see him join the conservatives at a later date.

Also he needs to appeal to a wider audience while he has done good things for tupsley I don't think he has done enough on other issues in & around the county.

While the Norm has his critics I don't think he's been that bad to warrant getting ride of to be replaced by a independent MP who's real agenda is what exactly…what is his main issue he will be campaign on?

As I see it whoever stands against Jesse Norman isn't going to displace him unfortunately. The 2015 election gave the following result:

Conservative - Jesse Norman - 24,844 total votes

UKIP - Nigel Ely - 7,954 total votes

Labour - Anna Coda - 6,042 total votes

Liberal Democrat - Lucy Hurds -5,002 total votes

Green Party - Diana Toynbee - 3,415 total votes

Adding up the opposition votes the total was 22,413 and that is assuming all the votes went to one person. How is that going to be organised? The only possibility is a great reduction in JN's majority of 16,890. The dilema is for those who voted for Brexit and are told they must vote Conservative to see it through. I don't see us leaving the EU. Our country has been run down by all the political parties and the BBC and I think we have gone past the point of no return. We will be shackled to the EU one way or another.

As I see it whoever stands against Jesse Norman isn't going to displace him unfortunately. The 2015 election gave the following result:

Conservative - Jesse Norman - 24,844 total votes

UKIP - Nigel Ely - 7,954 total votes

Labour - Anna Coda - 6,042 total votes

Liberal Democrat - Lucy Hurds -5,002 total votes

Green Party - Diana Toynbee - 3,415 total votes

Adding up the opposition votes the total was 22,413 and that is assuming all the votes went to one person. How is that going to be organised? The only possibility is a great reduction in JN's majority of 16,890. The dilema is for those who voted for Brexit and are told they must vote Conservative to see it through. I don't see us leaving the EU. Our country has been run down by all the political parties and the BBC and I think we have gone past the point of no return. We will be shackled to the EU one way or another.

Unless Jim believe he can take a big chuck of the conservative votes from Jessie? Obviously it would have to be a JAWS sized bite of a chuck!…but he must have done his sums & mapped out what he has to do to win?

Unless Jim believe he can take a big chuck of the conservative votes from Jessie? Obviously it would have to be a JAWS sized bite of a chuck!…but he must have done his sums & mapped out what he has to do to win?

Or perhaps he just wants to extend his weekly photo call in the HT as his Mayoral year comes to an end very shortly.