AVOID THE POTHOLES

DILLIGAF

Let's face it, HC have no money, BB can't be bothered and Highways Agency pass it back to local authorities; so we have Bob's cousin, No Hope!!!

I have started this thread to make us all aware in advance of the potentially dangerous situations of potholes on our roads. Keeping us safer, unnecessary repairs and avoiding them where possible. Most if not all would have been reported to HC directly anyway.

Please post locations and position i.e. nearside, centre, offside. Photos if possible (not if you're driving). Only edit post with FIXED when appropriate. Pease do not digress.

I went through a period of reporting potholes and also blocked gullies - perhaps 20 or so reports - not a single one was fixed and two gullies in particular are still blocked solid two years later. Gave up being treated with contempt. If anything, for cyclists, these blocked gullies are even more dangerous than potholes - at least you can see those. A flooded road hides who knows what? Cycle through it and risk hitting a hole, falling off and being run over or cycle around it and risk getting knocked off by the idiot in the Citroen Saxo doing 50mph in a 30 zone? Been for a ride this morning in the rain - saw literally dozens of dangerous holes and blocked gullies - why should we list them?

Like twowheelsgood I kept reporting potholes as I cycled around the City. In some areas they got sorted, but some, particularly those in the City Centre roads, just never got done. That exposed ironwork by Walnut Tree Avenue is a killer and very bad even if you drive over it in a car! The Council's website for reporting potholes shows some were reported over 2 years ago and yet still no action has been taken.

I saw this

Here for Hereford â€@HereforHereford  Jan 26

More

Herefordshire Council have secured £1.5million from Government to promote walking & cycling https://www.gov.uk/government/news/64-million-government-funding-to-encourage-more-cycling-and-walking-to-work â€¦

Perhaps some of this could be used to make the roads safer for cyclists and walkers?

This is one for the mathematicians.

I saw a report on BBC news a few weeks ago and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Apparently, nationwide, £14 billion is spent (presumably nationwide) on repairing two million potholes, i.e. £7,000 per pothole! Also, they said that one pothole is repaired every two seconds!

I saw a report on BBC news a few weeks ago and couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Apparently, nationwide, £14 billion is spent (presumably nationwide) on repairing two million potholes, i.e. £7,000 per pothole! Also, they said that one pothole is repaired every two seconds!

And most have to be refilled.Two on Barrs Ct Road bridge have been filled six times over the past three years

As Ragwert has pointed out, Barrs Court Road is in a terrible state, none of it is what you would call a pothole though, it is more a constant broken surface all the way along the road.

After rain it is potentially lethal for bicycle/moped/scooter/motorbike riders, and not exactly pleasant for anybody in a car.

Barrs Court Rd, pretty much all of Whitecross Rd, Three Elms Road, Chandos Street to name a few. Some pot holes but mostly just a rough uneven surface that is awful to drive on and even worse to cycle on.

I cycled up Whitecross the other day and almost decided to become part of the problem, not the solution by purchasing a big diesel guzzling 4x4.

I've heard choose how you move and promotion of cycling but I'd invite any person responsible for environment and place to actually get out on a bike (bone shaker) and see what all the fuss is about.

Ask any rural postman what the state of the counties roads are like for an accurate assessment. Driving the same delivery route 6 days a week, in all weathers I can honestly say that a lot of the rural roads I use are beyond patching and are breaking apart. 

From a cycling point of view I notice that tree roots are lifting the surface of the Great Western Way in several places. Following the rain a few days ago there was floodwater lying at the junction of Widemarsh Street and Coningsby Street; the junction of Belmont Road and Goodrich Grove opposite McDonalds; also the ASDA roundabout at the Belmont Road exit; and also the corner of St Nicholas Street with Belmont Road at the traffic lights. It must be blocked drains due to no maintenance - a false economy.

Since the LibDems highlighted the pothole problem way back in early 2011 is this what we can expect in the future!

post-2-0-72561700-1485813859_thumb.jpg

The B4352 from Clehonger to Madley is quite bad as you leave Clehonger (weirdly there was a section resurfaced properly last year, only on the Clehonger side though) through Cagedale. On the other side, Bowling Green pitch is quite bad, same for the road outside the Gooses Foot estate at Kingstone.

Plenty of broken surface on the approaches to the roundabout at the A49 end of the Rotherwas relief road too.

On 29/01/2017 at 16:28, Maggie May said:

Like twowheelsgood I kept reporting potholes as I cycled around the City. In some areas they got sorted, but some, particularly those in the City Centre roads, just never got done. That exposed ironwork by Walnut Tree Avenue is a killer and very bad even if you drive over it in a car! The Council's website for reporting potholes shows some were reported over 2 years ago and yet still no action has been taken.

I saw this

Here for Hereford @HereforHereford  Jan 26

More

Herefordshire Council have secured £1.5million from Government to promote walking & cycling https://www.gov.uk/government/news/64-million-government-funding-to-encourage-more-cycling-and-walking-to-work â€¦

Perhaps some of this could be used to make the roads safer for cyclists and walkers?

Ah they may have secured but they want to see the state of the foot path in Villa Street / Golden Post this has more pot holes than the roads.

Whitecross Roundabout has two increasingly large and deep potholes, 1 near to Wordsworth Road, 1 between Kings Acre Road and Three Elms Road.

Okay if you;re in a car, but if you happen to be on a motorbike they are really quite dangerous as they are both right on the edges of nice, smooth metal drain/manhole covers.

Reported to Fix My Street...  aaaaaannnnnnddddd.......  Wait...

After being back n forth Hereford to Worcester the past few weeks I'd say Worcesters roads are pretty good compared to ours.
They do have a bigger problem in that their traffic congestion is a bloody nightmare,seriously folks we in Hereford have nothing

to moan about in that dept.

It's the same whichever border you cross Ragwert. Head to Abergavenny and the road improves drastically after the river bridge at Pontrilas, head towards Brecon and the story is the same, lovely smooth pothole free roads. We had to go to Builth a few weeks back, and they were resurfacing about 3 miles of road between Erwood and Aberdw (roughly) the proper way, stripping it back to a decent under surface (could even see the old white lines) then over topping with fresh black top, not the usual poor job we have here, slap some tarmac in the holes, tamp it down, then spray some wet tar and sprinkle with chippings.

On 30/01/2017 at 10:11, adamski said:

The Department of Transport has added flesh to the headline figures for roads in the chancellorâ€s recent autumn statement.

West Midlands funding

West Midlands potholes breakdown

Local Highway Authority - Herefordshire, County of UA

Pothole Fund allocation - £899,000

Number of potholes filled (at £53 per pothole) - 17,000

Highways Maintenance Block allocation for 2017/18 - £10,244,000

The Civil Engineering Contractors Association welcomed the money, with head of external affairs Marie-Claude Hemming saying: This is fantastic news for civil engineering contractors, and more importantly, for the UK as a whole. We have long argued that investment in roads infrastructure is vital if we are to maintain our position as a great placed to do business and ensure economic growth is spread across the UK.

The challenge is now to get spades in the ground as quickly as possible. Where projects are yet to begin, CECA offers its support to our customers to help deliver the new road infrastructure making as much use as possible of the knowledge contractors have gained in driving forward efficiency and innovation.â€

I think in Herefordshire it's a lost cause.

I use fixmystreet.com to log faults as it is independent and outside Council control - I found that ones logged on the Council sometimes 'disappeared' even though they had not been resolved. fixmystreet.com forward them to the Council. I have an RSS stream that shows newly logged faults on their site (for Herefordshire - it covers the whole country). It usually shows a few logged each week, very often reporting failures of recent repairs. Interestingly in the last couple of months there has been a huge increase in reports, just reinforcing the fact that we are at the tipping point of the complete failure of so many of many of our roads.

Let's not repeat the propaganda coming out of Plough Lane that the Council have no money. They have a guaranteed income of over £300m a year with a guaranteed inflation proof increase each year. No business has that luxury. We pay some of that, some of it comes from Government and other sources. We pay it on the basis that it will provide the services they say it will, although in reality we have no choice but to pay it.