WVT Hereford County Hospital

DILLIGAF

With the national NHS crisis ongoing, please share your experiences whilst at/in the County Hospital; whether a patient yourself or friend/relative accompanying someone; awaiting operations or short/long term care. I am looking for honest answers and experiences NOT opinions or assumptions.

Leave out the extortion that is CP+ car park- nothing to do with NHS - even staff have to pay!!

I can't share too much information myself due to confidentiality reasons; but from the inside the situation is far worse than "you" see.

Please do watch 'Hospital' on bbc2 for a insight into real life- not drama like holby or casualty.

If you wish to remain anonymous please PM your post to me or Colin to repost on your behalf anonymously.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I had two trips to Hereford County hospital between Christmas and New Years Eve due to a fall on ice, I waited 5 hours to be seen by a doctor on the first visit where I sustained broken wrist and bruising, my second visit  I could not breathe but waited from 6.45pm until midnight before I was seen, I waited 90 minutes for an chest xray to be told I also had 3 cracked ribs. I was sat in a wheelchair from 6.45pm until 2.30am in a corridor next to A&E along with 10 other people, at that time I was told there were no beds so I had to come home via taxi. it was total chaos in A&E due to people waiting to be seen and people waiting for beds on wards. I could not fault the Ambulance service who arrive within 15 minutes of being called each time.

I almost fractured my foot a few years ago while out jogging, got taken to A & E, waiting room was full, was in a lot of pain so they took me through to see a doctor sooner, then I waited on a bed for about an hour, doctor came and could see my foot and ankle was badly swollen, he send me for an x-ray, that probably took another hour, I then came back to the doctor who said there was a minor break but just put a tight bandage sock on and said to take some pain killers and sent me home. Quite a good service but lots of waiting time, was off work for a few weeks because I could put any pressure on my foot.

Colin.jpg

This was taken at the hospital 

foot3a.jpg

This photo was taken at home 3 days later

I found a lump on one of my testicles last October. On phoning my local surgery, I got an appointment 1 hour later. After a brief examination I was given an appointment with a consultant for an examination and scan the next day. I was told that in his opinion it was a cyst and an operation was scheduled for 4 days time. Brilliant experience, if rather painful!   Further-: my wife and I went through the IVF route to have our wonderful daughter. Due to the drugs given to my wife, she suffered Hyper-Ovarian Syndrome. This affects 1 in 10,000 people. After feeling ill for two days, we went to see our GP, who diagnosed the illness immediately and my wife was admitted to hospital within 3 hours. The care given was exemplary.  Our daughter had an asthma attack one evening, and, on phoning the NHS Care Line, we were advised to go to A & E. On arrival, we were seen by a consultant paediatrician within 10 minutes. Our daughter was admitted to the children's ward immediately, and had the consultant check on her every half hour throughout the night. The nurses were so attentive, compassionate and professional.  I have been a volunteer for Herefordshire Health watch for a number of years now, and have seen quite a bit of the Healthcare in the County. Whilst, admittedly, I have no other experience of other Counties Health Care, I believe that Herefordshire, whilst maybe not the best, is certainly not the worst. These are 3 experiences of our families health care with Hereford Hospital and our GP. I have nothing but praise for the care we have been given. Dilligaf, I don't know if you are on a "Witch Hunt", or have an axe to grind with the hospital, but may I assure you that you will find nothing but praise from myself and my family for the care we have received from the hospital and our local GP's (King Street & Bobblestock).

Attitudes must of changed on two accounts which shows the mess the NHS and Hereford Hospital is in because:

When I worked at the hospital if a ward is closed with Norovirus or the like it does not put incoming patients on that ward, it is just spreading the infection because the incoming patients would catch it. If it was one isolated case the patient with Norovirus would be isolated in a single room. Like I was a few years ago.

who are the "we" you refer to? 

My OH managed to have a scrap with a vacuum cleaner as it fell down a flight of stairs (long story) which resulted in a painful wrist injury. We went to Asda clinic first, and to be fair to them, they did advise us to go straight to A&E (this was beginning of December), as they suspected a fracture. We then spent 3 hours sat waiting to be seen, after that it was a swift visit to x ray, and back out of the door. The waiting room was full (it was as a Sunday afternoon/early evening) and there was a steady flow of incoming patients (one guy came in with a dislocated ankle and was waiting in a wheelchair for almost as long as we were to be seen).