GWW and Balfour Beatty

megilleland

I see the litter is creeping back on GWW. The problem now are the leaves. The council used to sweep the GWW with a road sweeper to clear the path and pick up broken glass pieces, but I have yet to see one this year. The leaves have turned the GWW into a slushy surface and today I helped one woman cyclist who fell off her bike when she ran off the edge of the GWW because she couldn't see the edge. Another dangerous section is the S bend under Barton Road Bridge which if you remember caused flooding because the drains were blocked.

If nothing is done I can see more people coming off their bikes. 

The GWW is again covered in wet leaves as reported last year providing a dangerous surface for cyclists. Again no road sweepers seen this year. Also noticed the cycle path is now beginning to be lifted by tree roots in various places and the link to Brampton Road is breaking up. Regarding litter the tractor used last week to cut back the bank at the academy end has exposed the usual quantity of litter and debris.

The ride along Blackfriars Street between the lights at the shopping centre and Widemarsh Street has to be the worst section in the city - the only smooth section to cycle is along the white line!

At risk of sounding like Adrian, the fairly new mini island at the junction of Yazor and Grandstand is subsidising, throwing cyclists into the middle of the road. But don't expect anything to be done anywhere in the city, I heard last week that BBLP are looking at, and warning employees, of redundancies as there is no money left.

I agree with megilleland about Blackfriars street, I'm always peeing off drivers whilst cycling asking there. You literally have to be in the middle of the road!!!

The leaves on GWW are at their worst on the access ramp down from Barton Road to the main section under the bridge. You can slide along as if you are a school kid in an icy playground. Great if you have bendy kids bones when you inevitably fall over, not so great for folks like me. My eagerly pulling puppy cannot be stopped going down here, I can often be seen slip sliding away!!!

• 1 year later...

I have noticed an increased amount of vehicular traffic using GWW southside. This will inevitably be BB on the bin rounds, however during their haste they are failing to notice that they are churning up the grass and leaving a muddy hole trailing it all into the path itself as they dodge the fallen trees - instead of removing them too.

Do they not have a smaller vehicle they can use? Can they keep off the grass? Can the road sweeper not make a journey down there once a week to keep the surface cleared of debris? Also it is still awaiting a survey to repair the surface in places. This is a vital artery for the non-motoring community and it should be maintained efficiently, which it is not - unless it is a community led action. Now they are raising council tax.....

I a word Dilligaf; Not bloomin' likely!

They (BBLP) cannot maintain their dog waste and rubbish bin emptying schedule, so I find it highly unlikely that they will bother to clear any fallen vegetation anytime soon.  As for using a smaller vehicle...  I think the Transit Pickup is their favoured device for all vehicular activities, is it not?

I sent them some pictures to their Facebook page of a couple of dog poo bins that have been overflowing since before Christmas.  So far, as of yesterday (07/01/2018) half of those bins were still overflowing...

Doing their job of maintaining the "Living Places" does not seem to be one of their new years resolutions.

I have noticed an increased amount of vehicular traffic using GWW southside. This will inevitably be BB on the bin rounds, however during their haste they are failing to notice that they are churning up the grass and leaving a muddy hole trailing it all into the path itself as they dodge the fallen trees - instead of removing them too.

Do they not have a smaller vehicle they can use? Can they keep off the grass? Can the road sweeper not make a journey down there once a week to keep the surface cleared of debris? Also it is still awaiting a survey to repair the surface in places. This is a vital artery for the non-motoring community and it should be maintained efficiently, which it is not - unless it is a community led action. Now they are raising council tax.....

We should be happy that they are emptying these bins, lets not rock thereat by complaining.

It appears that BB and company read these pages, and act accordingly.

Tonight I didn’t spot one fallen tree or even any overhanging branches! It appears that BB (credit where credit is due) have been along the GWW southside and pruned it back severely with the heavy artillery, judging by the tracks! Now they just need to send the sweeper down there to remove the mud clumps and left over debris!! Much better and brighter now thanks BB. ðŸ‘ðŸ»