11 Cantilupe Street

megilleland

post-2-0-33836100-1476565533_thumb.png

Have these architects lost their marbles. This monstrosity is proposed to be wedged into Cantilupe Street, a fine street of Victorian houses. Reminds me of the World War II pill boxes and fortifications found along the front line. What next anti-tank traps in the park opposite! The architects must have scanned the Brutalist Period of Architecture to get their unimaginative idea for a pile of bricks. What do you think?

Comments to the Planning Department by Thursday 3 November 2016

Post to: Planning Services, PO Box 230, Hereford HR1 2ZB

That's a very distorted picture, shot with a wide angle lens - in reality the gap is very narrow - currently a double garage - and the three storey height totally dominates the neighbours to the right. Does it conserve and enhance the Conservation Area - the criteria for approval? I think not. But let's not forget that the Council think that cladding Blueschool House in red formica will conserve and enhance the Conservation Area, so we can't rely on the Planning Committee to do the right thing (although there was a huge financial incentive involved in that application and our Council have form on never letting due process get in the way of cash money).

I'm with GK. Pair of Shipping containers! But also with RW outside the box not a box! Surely these architects are highly paid to be ARTistic and creative. I could've done that, and I can't even draw a stickman! Even George Clarkes amazing spaces- shipping containers didn't look like them when finished!!

Something a little more pleasing on the eye please.

I agree, it does look like a combination of 70's multi storey car park and shipping containers, however, we do need to move with the times as well. A lot of the design influence for this will be because of new planning regulations regarding insulation and materials, as well as a desire for the new occupiers to make sure that the new house is eco friendly from a light/heat/power point of view.

So, on one hand it's a carbuncle and a blot on the landscape not in keeping with it's surroundings - but on the other hand, it's a modern, 21st century residence which ticks all the boxes for modern sustainable living.

I agree, it does look like a combination of 70's multi storey car park and shipping containers, however, we do need to move with the times as well. A lot of the design influence for this will be because of new planning regulations regarding insulation and materials, as well as a desire for the new occupiers to make sure that the new house is eco friendly from a light/heat/power point of view.

So, on one hand it's a carbuncle and a blot on the landscape not in keeping with it's surroundings - but on the other hand, it's a modern, 21st century residence which ticks all the boxes for modern sustainable living.

I tend to agree, we do have to have some modern buildings and I do not always buy into new builds have to blend in with the surrounding area there is nothing wrong with missing it up a little. I drive all over the UK with my job and a mixture of buildings can look really good.

I think that once finished, it will look pretty good, a modern design amidst its older neighbours.

Old houses are all very well, but it is 2016 now, and better to have a nice, new house rather than just a big empty, overgrown space.

Artists impressions rarely look like the finished building.

Look at the flats where Greyfriars Restaurant was.  The drawings looked awful, but now it's built, it looks pretty spectacular, and its neighbours?  Old houses...

Yes it is about time we started seeing some nice modern homes instead of the dark B&W & drab victorian ones, why do people want to keep some of the older more run down buildings? This is half the reason why there are so many empty shops in Hereford! Most are either old & damp & in need of a lot of money spending on them or they are listed, new is much more attractive for businesses & I know if I was opening a business which I would go for!

Another reason that fire damaged mess in high town is still there, how many years have passed now?  They should of demolished the lot in the first place & built new shops with apartments above which I believe is now on the cards.

Did they got their inspiration from ancient Babylon?

post-991-0-57792800-1476725426_thumb.jpg

So maybe a not so modern design?

It does however look odd in the middle of the 2 Victorian houses…if it was of the same roofline as the other properties I think it wold blend in better.

Personal I don't think victorian builds are drap they have charm,character with a lot of them having ornate exteriors & decorative brickwork.

it's not an empty plot! It's presently a double garage serving the house to the left. I've no issue with contemporary design, but this is just too dominant and overpowers the house and garden to the right. The bricks should be red rather than drab grey and the top floor needs to be much lighter in appearance.

it's not an empty plot! It's presently a double garage serving the house to the left. I've no issue with contemporary design, but this is just too dominant and overpowers the house and garden to the right. The bricks should be red rather than drab grey and the top floor needs to be much lighter in appearance.

Okay there is a garage there but no house is what I meant. Red bricks! Behave, can people not come up with something more modern and more appealing than vile boring red bricks? A rendered home looks much more attractive than red bricks, do you not have any imagination?

Okay there is a garage there but no house is what I meant. Red bricks! Behave, can people not come up with something more modern and more appealing than vile boring red bricks? A rendered home looks much more attractive than red bricks, do you not have any imagination?

I don't think anyone is saying build a exacted replica of a Victorian styled house but something which is more in keeping,that uses similar materials like red bricks for example. So two wheels is correct just like the other properties in the area are built with given that it is in a conservation area too there are more stringent guidelines for new buildings.

Just because you don't like red bricks Paul doesn't mean that no one else does it's a matter of opinion.

I think that once finished, it will look pretty good, a modern design amidst its older neighbours.

Old houses are all very well, but it is 2016 now, and better to have a nice, new house rather than just a big empty, overgrown space.

Artists impressions rarely look like the finished building.

Look at the flats where Greyfriars Restaurant was.  The drawings looked awful, but now it's built, it looks pretty spectacular, and its neighbours?  Old houses...

I approve of the new modern look it will brighten up the area

The bricks being used are called old elsworth cream

post-991-0-17734700-1476862304.jpg

Personally i do not think these are suitable for the area & agree with two wheels that they should of gone for red bricks which would make the property blend into it's surroundings.

The bricks being used are called old elsworth cream

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Personally i do not think these are suitable for the area & agree with two wheels that they should of gone for red bricks which would make the property blend into it's surroundings.

I think we need to get away from the old drab looking red bricks, personally, I believe adding some nice colour will brighten the area up, why do you want to keep things looking the same? Nothing wrong with modernising and adding a 21st touch.

Think it's great.

Why people think we should always build houses using bricks & exactly the same as every other is beyond me.

Ditto.

This design is not bad, fresh looking with a large glass front on the top floor with large balcony I don't think the image does it justice, it will look nice in my view

I think we need to get away from the old drab looking red bricks, personally, I believe adding some nice colour will brighten the area up, why do you want to keep things looking the same? Nothing wrong with modernising and adding a 21st touch.

I did not say there is anything wrong with the design however the bricks are not a modern brick as you may seem to think that's why they are called old Elworth & how can you say that red bricks are drab I've never heard the colour red described as drab before? Red is a vibrant colour…perhaps if you want a nice blue or yellow colour would brighten things up for you? It's not about keeping things the same but having new builds of modern design blending in & enhancing their surroundings to which I think the colour of the old elsworth bricks do not do in fact I think they are much more drab looking then red bricks.

• 8 months later...