Using a Mobile Phone Whilst Driving.

Clarkester

I notice in the news and press that the fine and penalty points for using a mobile phone whilst driving, is due to increase next year.

I'm sure most people will agree that this is a good thing, even though there seems to be little enforcement of the law by our boys and girls in blue.

The point to this post?  Ah yes, that...

I was waiting to cross Yazor Road in Hereford today (Thursday 29th September 2016) at approximately 12:50, one of the cars passing me was a rather distinctively decorated driving instructors car, complete with personalised registration (nice touch.)  

As she, oops sorry, as the car passed me by, I noticed the driver, with one hand on the wheel, the other down by their side was doing a marvellous "nodding dog" impression, something down on her, or his (her) lap was taking up quite a good percentage of attention away from the road, that's for sure.

What chance do we have to expect people to resist the urge to use their mobiles whilst driving when a driving instructor is quite prepared to openly do just that?!

Still, it was probably important, wasn't it?

See it nearly every day.Also seen Yeomans driver reading from what looked like a clip board a few months back.I've also wondered why so many people indicate right whilst going straight ahead on a mini roundabout
​until I noticed two driving instructors in one week teaching pupils to do just that.

Also recently, whilst out on a bike ride, I was coming back into Hereford up Aylestone Hill, just past Aylestone Park on the way into town a cycle lane has been created.

Parked half on the cycle lane and half on the pavement was...  A driving instructor...

I didn't catch the name, but it was a gunmetal grey car, I think a Nissan Micra... 

So...  Standards are being kept nice and high for our learner drivers!

• 2 weeks later...

North Wales Police are now starting Operation Snap, whereby you email evidence of bad driving, mobile phone use etc from your dashcam to the Police to use as evidence in prosecutions. Hopefully drivers may now think twice before answering their phone, reading that text, updating their status or liking that video you shared with them of a dancing kitten...

• 1 month later...

On the flip side of this, using a mobile phone when an accident happens is relatively easy to prove but what about the non traceable events such as people driving with dogs on their laps and people turning around dealing with their naughty kids or the driver who is messing around with his satnav which quite often is on the screen directly in the field of vision duh! Or the driver who leans across to the glove box to find a new cd... Mobile phones is the easier option to prosecute...

Perhaps I am being a bit reactionary (then I am getting old)

To me one way of solving the problems with speeding, using the phone, drink driving etc. is the penalties

How about if you are found guilty of an offence then your car is crushed

I think People caught using a mobile phone should have a min 12 month ban.

See it nearly every day.Also seen Yeomans driver reading from what looked like a clip board a few months back.I've also wondered why so many people indicate right whilst going straight ahead on a mini roundabout

​until I noticed two driving instructors in one week teaching pupils to do just that.

Its impossible to "go straight on" at a roundabout - mini or otherwise.

Its impossible to "go straight on" at a roundabout - mini or otherwise.

Never said straight on.......

Also 99% of motorists in Hereford do go straight on over a mini roundabout,except the one on Grandstand Rd/Holmer Rd which has disappeared.The amount of lines etc that have worn away is shocking and dangerous at the same time.

Never said straight on.......

Also 99% of motorists in Hereford do go straight on over a mini roundabout,except the one on Grandstand Rd/Holmer Rd which has disappeared.The amount of lines etc that have worn away is shocking and dangerous at the same time.

My bad.

Its impossible to "go straight ahead" at a roundabout - mini or otherwise. :Winky:

I must be getting old - I never fail to be astounded at the shocking level (or lack of) driving skill exhibited today.

The two mini roundabouts on Aylstone hill must resemble the radar scene from the "Whacky Races".

Driving far enough behind the preceding vehicle so that your lights cut off below the rear window is a practice unknown to anyone who follows me home at night.

Indicating your intention to maneuver seems to be an option to most people.

Don't get me started....... Oh - you already have!

I feel I must disagree Mr TVicar...

Two mini-roundabouts in question, Grandstand / Yazor Road and Top of Aylestone Hill...

If you are travelling along Grandstand Road in either direction and you carry on along Grandstand Road at the roundabout with Yazor Road, surely, you are going straight ahead?And

, if you are travelling along Aylestone hill (A465), when you get to the roundabout withVenns Lane and you continue along on the A465, you are going straight ahead...