6 Weeks Roadworks & Hardly Any Work Appears Being Done!

Colin James

The only respite we seem to enjoy other than when the traffic lights break down and fail on the Belmont Road in Hereford (A465) is when the kids are on holiday from school. Now we do not have just 2-3 weeks of road works we have the WHOLE 6 weeks that the kids are off replaced with an even bigger nightmare for drivers!  They did exactly the same in the same location last year.

I do not know if this is just me? Every time I have driven and sat in the endless slow queue of traffic on the Belmont Road, I get to the traffic lights expecting to see lots of busy workman trying to complete this work and to be honest, all we see is the exact opposite! The first time we noticed a guy on the digger asleep, yes asleep (maybe he was on his break) and there were 3 other guys chatting. Later the same evening we I returned to Hereford, there was 1 bloke sat with some earphones listening to something connect near the traffic lights but the other men were not to be seen. Yesterday we drove past and saw only 2 guys both were just leaning on a post and chatting, the same again last night. 

We did not see any work being done over the weekend.

Here are just a few random photographs I took this week but I will try and get a few more.

I appreciate that this is essential work but surely, they could reduce this work to a couple of weeks if they had a few more men and reducing the length of time required and in turn opening this busy road again.

Anyone else noticed this?

IMG_5193.JPG

Having just been to have my plaster removed yipee I witnessed today what you have been talking about.  Two lads walking back from Subway with the hot drink run - one carrying the tray and one minder - unbelievable.

Having not been to town since early July I do not feel I have missed a thing 

The news today stated that productivity in the UK is at an all time low confirming what we see on Colin's video. As there is no proper investment in our industries the workmen must be sharing one shovel. However plenty of money for our armed police forces to keep us in check should we step out of line.

Today I left Ledbury at 440pm I arrived at aylestone hill at 5pm. Not bad 20mins 11miles. Then it took me another 47minutes to cross the city 2miles! Shocking. None of the traffic lights are in sync and then add the misery of Belmont Roads One-Man Taskforce. Aimlessly staring INTO the bottom of the traffic light box. I can only assume there is some sort of counter and he is allowing equal amounts through from either side. No other fellas in sight.

Still we live in hope. REMEMBER once the gas board have finished in eight weeks or so; the water board will come to replace their mains farther up the road - this will be completed within 12 weeks. Then electricity board will follow suit. Once that's done BB will come along and fill in the potholes that are left. Just in time for the summer holidays................

Once that's done BB will come along and fill in the potholes that are left. Just in time for the summer holidays................

No they won't - they've hit on the magical formula of the less they do, the more they get paid - £13m for the first 5 months of this year - and yet, the City is dirtier and more run down than ever, roads are failing etc, etc, we've said it all before, but no one in power cares.

Well this has caused a stir especially on our HV Facebook Page however, since this was posted guess what, huge progress (well at least for the traffic) it seems. I drove straight down into town this morning with hardly any hold ups and a lot of the work appears to now be done. 

• 2 weeks later...

What makes me laugh about this is the fact that the sign they used last year saying "No right turn into Hungerton Road" is exactly the same sign that they used this year with exactly the same spelling mistake on it.  You'd have thought that someone working on the works would have noticed it and got it put right.  What hope have we !!  Maybe they'll get it right for next year as I'm sure they're already planning how they can inflict some more misery on us. 

At least it gave a laugh every time I drove past it.

I'm told that the traffic lights were gone on Friday.  As I haven't been down there since Thursday I don't know.  Saying that, judging by the traffic queue up to the roundabout this morning (Saturday) at 10.45 this morning maybe they haven't.

Yesterday, I thought hallelujah because the traffic lights were removed after watching a van sat there for two days doing very little but then I came past last night and now they have closed the opposite of the road, put the lights on and left cones out? Why didn't they just leave that until Monday? Giving the motorist a weekend free of traffic jams. 

I notice that there are about 3 hundred cones already out of the Ross Road now for the work to begin this week over that side, at least they have the sense this time to conduct this work between 20.00-0600.