Hereford Heatwave Advice

Colin James

I love this, first day this year of any real heat and we are being given government advice on how to protect ourselves from this unusual summer weather.

Herefordshire may experience “heatwave” conditions over the next few days, according to Met Office forecasts. The Met Office declared a Level 2 heat-health alert this morning – so there is a high chance that temperatures will be high for the next two days and overnight.

Top advice for being sun safe:

try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
wear UV sunglasses, preferably wraparound, to reduce UV exposure to the eyes, walk in the shade, apply sunscreen of at least SPF15 with UVA protection, wear a hat and light scarf. Wear light, loose-fitting cotton clothes. This should minimise the risk of sunburn.
drink lots of cool drinks and when travelling ensure you take water with you
look out for others especially vulnerable groups such as older people, young children and babies and those with serious illnesses
never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially older people, infants, young children or animals
Remember that it can get uncomfortably hot indoors too. Try to keep your bedroom and living space cool, by closing the curtains on windows that face the sun and opening your windows at cooler times of the day and overnight when you can. Turn off non-essential lights and electrical items as these generate heat.

While many people enjoy hot weather, high temperatures can be dangerous, especially for people who may be particularly vulnerable such as older people, young children and those with serious illnesses.

Everyone can enjoy the sun safely by keeping out of the heat at the hottest time of the day, avoiding sunburn and staying hydrated with plenty of cool drinks. The older people and those with long-term illnesses are particularly vulnerable to the effects of very hot weather, so it’s important to look out for them and keep indoor areas as cool as possible.

Please visit www.herefordshire.gov.uk/heatwave for further advice on keeping cool

heatwave-poster-image_499x710.jpg

It makes me mad the people they are addressing probably  have more sense than a lot of the people producing this crap.  The biggest warnings that should go out are dogs and babies in cars and people deciding to take a swim in dodgy places.

You get the same crap being dished out in the winter with photos of the elderly dressed in T shirts.

I have been reasonably quiet about it but 3 weeks ago I broke my wrist so I have a plaster up to my elbow and must admit in this heat it feels like I have a hot water bottle permanently attached.  

It makes me mad the people they are addressing probably  have more sense than a lot of the people producing this crap.  The biggest warnings that should go out are dogs and babies in cars and people deciding to take a swim in dodgy places.

You get the same crap being dished out in the winter with photos of the elderly dressed in T shirts.

I have been reasonably quiet about it but 3 weeks ago I broke my wrist so I have a plaster up to my elbow and must admit in this heat it feels like I have a hot water bottle permanently attached.  

Take it easy, hope you are feeling better soon.