Planning Committee Approves Southern Link Road

Colin James

Herefordshire Councils planning committee has approved the Southern Link Road (SLR) planning application today, Monday 6 June 2016.

The SLR marks the first phase of a bypass for the city and will assist in delivering new homes and jobs.

The roads construction will also facilitate the implementation of active travel measures in South Wye. Plans include prohibition weight restriction on Belmont Road, shared use cycleways, new pedestrian crossings on Belmont Road and new speed restrictions in residential areas.

Councillor Philip Price, cabinet member infrastructure said:

Todays decision is a significant move forward as it is the first step towards a long-awaited bypass. Hereford can now move towards a more financially sustainable future, with the provision of more homes and jobs.

We still have far to go, but this decision is the vital first step forward and allows us to continue to develop in line with the countys emerging economic master plan. The Enterprise Zone at Rotherwas can now develop with the right infrastructure in place to support it. Although, to fully build out the Enterprise zone there is a requirement to have in place the bypass as planned; todays decision goes some way towards that aim. This is good news for business and for Hereford as a whole.

The SLR is scheduled to be completed by summer 2019. The rest of the bypass will be completed when further funding can be secured from the Government. Subject to funding the bypass in its entirety will be constructed between 2022 and 2027. The council has secured £27m of Central Government funding for the SLR.

I have just received a phone call from one of the people against the road, a request for a named vote was requested and agreed. 12 councillor voted for (including both South Wye Cllrs chappell and Edwards) 4 members of IOC voted against one abstained. I left the meeting at 5.20pm after sitting in the meeting since 2pm, it is my understanding the meeting went on until 7pm. When I get the named list of CLlrs and the way they voted I will post it here!

If there is to be a western bypass this quite frankly should have been the last segment to be built. It will have no benefit until such time as the road has gone across the river and to be honest with delays to construction and financial constraints a complete western bypass is but a dream until 2030. Even if this County hasn't changed by then our world is sure to have done so.

As the council will now race to infill this segment with boxes it will only benefit these new residents at least until they join the queuing traffic at the respective roundabouts on each end.Let's not forget there are currently thousands of new build properties presently chugging through the planning stage none of which are relevant when considering this part of the Western Bypass. Even within my Tupsley seat those one hundred new homes planned for Hampton Dene have not kicked off as yet and its two years since the basic planning template was agreed.

We need to remember the names of those that have signed off on what could be the biggest folly known to the county, until such time as a new bridge is created though we may all have given up on this mode of transport by then!

Reflecting on yesterday's happenings I think in my mind 2 people connected to the Council stood out - Anthony Powers for having the foresight to declare an interest and questioning it all and very surprisingly Jon Johnson Conservative Ward Councillor for Wormside who stuck his head above the  parapet and said there are alternatives he listened to his ward which incidentally covers an enormous area.  Good for him no doubt he is waiting to be called to the headmasters room for his punishment.   His journey into local politics will not be so easy now I suspect but he was the only Con to support Jesse Norman.  It does not reflect very well that the other Con Councillors have not!

The Indies were a very big disappointment and hopefully questions will be asked as to where their loyalities truly lie and some of the IOC Cllrs to my mind did not perform as I thought they would - had they all been gagged?

Two thoughts -

1. I will never drive on this road

2 . Again it will not effect me but when the 1500 houses are occupied on the Three Elms Kings Acre farm land another traffic situation will evolve - the traffic both going to the City and towards the Welsh border is very heavy now so I must presume that it can only get worse ( just returned from a lovely lunch at the Monument with my eye spy book of cars and HGVs nearly completed.!)

Dippy - love your comment that appears under your posts - so true of a very caring lady .

I have copied this across from the IOC page hope they won't mind

FLAWED DECISION ON SOUTHERN LINK ROAD 7 June 2016/0 Comments/in Anthony PowersNews /by PaulNeades

FLAWED DECISION ON SOUTHERN LINK ROAD WILL NOT SOLVE CITY TRAFFIC PROBLEMS

At Planning Committee on Monday 6 June Herefordshire Council gave itself permission to build the controversial Hereford Southern Link Road, with the votes of all Tory committee members, supported by the two Independents and the sole Liberal Democrat.

The decision – which cabinet member Philip Price conceded in his speech to the meeting would be “tough for you†– goes against the requirements of the Department for Transport, conflicts with 18 core principles and policies of the National Planning Policy Framework, at least 8 policies in Herefordshire’s Core Strategy and the new Local Transport Plan which was adopted at Full Council less than 3 weeks ago. It also flies in the face of over 1,750 objections and serious concerns from numerous national bodies, local organisations, local Tory MP Jesse Norman, five parish councils, Herefordshire Council’s Conservation Officer and members of the public. There were only 9 representations of support.

So It’s Our County was hardly alone in not supporting this scheme!

Councillor Anthony Powers, group leader and a member of Planning Committee said:

“IOC is in favour of new infrastructure for necessary development which is sustainable, able to achieve what it claims, and is good value for money. This scheme fails on all three counts. The SLR trashes the countryside and provides no congestion relief whatsoever to the city – all at a cost to the taxpayer of over £27 million.

“There are sustainable solutions to the traffic problems in South Wye which can be delivered now, are easily affordable and comply with national and local policies. The council’s own data shows this costly and unnecessary new road will not solve any of the traffic problems in the city: it will simply shift some traffic from the Belmont Road to the Ross Road.â€

“I can’t believe council officers would ever normally recommend approval for a planning application in conflict with so many national and local policies. This application is not only about a road, but about using public money to access council-owned land for housing development. Clearly this was a ‘political’ application, the council has clear interests in the outcome, and the matter should have been decided – as IOC and others have urged – at a properly independent Public Inquiry†he added.

ENDS

From Woodland Trust

Herefordshire Council: Judge, jury and executioner

By Jack Taylor , 8 June 2016 , Comments:  0

grafton-wood-yellow-flowers.jpg?preset=b
New

Grafton Wood is a real haven for wildlife (Photo: WTML)

When the applicant for a destructive relief road proposal is also the decision-maker then you’re never left with much hope for ancient woodland. Unfortunately for the ancient woods and veteran trees south of Hereford this case was no different.

On 6 June, Herefordshire Council played the part of judge, jury and executioner to a T when they approved their application for the Herefordshire Southern Link Road.

Disappointed and saddened

We are left disappointed and saddened by the outcome of the meeting, though based on the circumstances of the application we would be hard-pressed to say it was an unexpected result.

The locals gave their all in helping us with our campaign, providing us with local knowledge, giving evidence on rare and important species within the woodland and keeping us updated on all current matters. We extend no end of gratitude and sympathy to those locals who fought so diligently in trying to protect the ancient woods and veteran trees south of Hereford.

Perhaps the outcome would have been no different if the decision-maker wasn’t also the applicant, however it still brings to question how fair a decision can be in this situation; particularly when you consider how much is on the line for the area’s natural habitats and wildlife.

grafton-wood.jpg?cb=b978710f7eab49d2a0ac What now?

Unfortunately this is how democracy works when it comes to Local Highways Authority applications, which have the right to decide their own planning applications. These applications are known colloquially as‘Regulation 3’ applications. As they are permitted under Regulation 3 of the Town and Country Planning General Regulations 1992 SI 1492.

But is this a true representation of a democratic process? Does the current system really allow the voice of the people to be heard? Surely local councils can’t simply place a development wherever they like, ignore the overwhelming number of objections made against their proposal, then push ahead with it anyway?

Perhaps there needs to be a change in the way that matters such as this are decided on. Should applications such as this be elevated to higher authorities for a decision? These are all questions that need some thought and consideration, from both the Woodland Trust and Local Government.

Thanks for your support

We would like to thank all those who took part in the campaign and sent their objections to Herefordshire Council. While the outcome was disheartening, we were massively encouraged by the overwhelming support for our campaign – over 1200 of you registered your objection to the application.

The silver lining in this case is the number of you that have shown your allegiance to protecting the ancient woodland. These numbers are certainly something to build on.

We are forever looking to influence change and prevent ancient woods from being subjected to damage and loss from new development. With threats like this occurring nationwide we are asking for your support in identifying threats to ancient woodland around the UK. How about signing up with us as a threat reporter?

All we ask of you is that you keep a watch over happenings in your local area and flag up any potential threats to ancient woodland to us.

Once again, thanks for your support.

Herefordshire Council Capital out turn report 2015-16 has been published for the Cabinet meeting next Thursday you can find it HERE.

There seem to be similar accounting errors on the Southern Link Road, already flagged up on the City Link Road, and which may have contributed to the departure of Mr Robinson the chief finance officer...

In the council's Performance & Budget report it lists significant corporate risks. This one is still ticking in the background and no doubt will blow up in their face, leaving us with more money to find to bail them out.

Litigation
IF: litigation claims against Herefordshire Council are successful THEN: this may expose the Council to significant unbudgeted costs and reputational damage.

I don't think the Council's reputation can be damaged any further. It is already at an all time low and is losing respect daily with the release of more dodgy dealings like planning and finance. People are leaving or being pushed off a sinking ship.

Herefordshire Council Capital out turn report 2015-16 has been published for the Cabinet meeting next Thursday you can find it HERE.

There seem to be similar accounting errors on the Southern Link Road, already flagged up on the City Link Road, and which may have contributed to the departure of Mr Robinson the chief finance officer...

Hidden away in there is a proposal to look for development partners for ... housing for the Urban Village! (As well as the Rockfield Car Park - now going for housing?)

Dear Lord, we were here 10 years ago, they were supposed to have built over 500 of the 800 by now - yet nothing, nada, zilch. Looks like the deal with Sanctuary is dead, if it was ever alive. In 2008 Jonathan Bretherton (remember Hereford Futures?) said

“Blackfriars will be a ground breaking scheme, a community led development not one led by a private developer. Housing experts are watching its progress with interest. Importantly, it will not be a huge out of town estate, but an inner city community with all its associated shopping and leisure facilities and employment opportunities close to hand. It will create a new and more sustainable lifestyle, for those who choose to live there. Working closely with our partners, Sanctuary we will be pushing the boundaries of modern housing development, creating a great sense of community for the families who will move into the Blackfriars Urban Village.â€

Community led eh? Whatever happened to that concept?! 

And still no official statement on Robinson that will most certainly bite them on the bum

Anyway another organisation not impressed with the decision

Newly approved Hereford road ‘will do nothing to solve congestion’

6 June 2016

Responding to the decision by Herefordshire Council today to push through plans to build the controversial two and a half mile long Southern Link Road, linking up the A49 and A465, Bridget Fox from Campaign for Better Transport said:

“This is a bad decision which flies in the face of long-standing local opposition. The Hereford Southern Link Road will do nothing to solve congestion in the city centre. As other areas have found, new roads simply attract new traffic at great cost to both the public purse and the environment - in this case it will destroy ancient woodland and is already running over its £27 million budget.

“Nor will the road provide people with genuine alternatives to the car as investment in better bus and rail services and safe walking and cycle routes, which was promised as part of the scheme funding, is nowhere to be seen.

"We now look to the Department for Transport and the Planning Inspectorate to overturn this ill-conceived plan and for local planners to work with the community on a truly sustainable solution."

ENDS

For further information please contact Alice Ridley on 020 7566 6495 / 07984 773 468 oralice.ridley@bettertransport.org.uk

Notes to Editors

1. Campaign for Better Transport is the UK's leading authority on sustainable transport. We champion transport solutions that improve people's lives and reduce environmental damage. Our campaigns push innovative, practical policies at local and national levels. Campaign for Better Transport Charitable Trust is a registered charity (1101929).

Jesse Norman despite having written at least 2 letters of objection has remained exceedingly silent since Monday.

No doubt CPRE will be commenting in due course

This road built or not will make little difference to me if any as I do not drive and I do not live that side of the river. But I will have my say.

This SLR like the city link road is nothing to do about congestion, they will not do anything what so ever to lessen the traffic in fact they will make it worse. What this is about is building more houses so the council can get more money  into their pockets via council tax.  it will not create more jobs, that is a load of bull from the council as normal.

What we will have is a over populated city that do not have the infrastructure to cope, there are no jobs, the Hospital can not cope with the population as it is, there are no shops, if you 

think the Old market is great then take the blinkers off, it is the same stuff as any other city, there is nothing in Hereford that other cities do not have. Even our swimming pool don't have diving boards now, I am shocked we still have a swimming pool.

We have burnt out shops in the city centre which is being rebuilt by a company that have the same name in as the company that went bankrupt as far as I can see, if they are ever rebuilt and it have taken years to do that.

The council do not give two hoots about any of us, they really don't they say they care about jobs and yet do compulsory purchase on premises where jobs are lost, well done Herefordshire council, you really are a load of, i won't say it, it is too explicit for this forum.

you do not listen, you grab as much money as you can from us but you never listen to a word, we all knew what the outcome of the planning permission would be for the SLR, you did not need to sit down for a four hour meeting as you all made up your mind.

Well I hope you will be happy when Hereford dies a death, not that it is really living anyway,  Plenty of people I know, certainly the younger ones can not wait to get out of here and to be honest if I was younger in better health I would be gone, because there is nothing here.

Disagree all you like on here, I know that people who are on this forum seems to be unable to accept any criticism of Hereford, I really do not care. 

Hereford used to be a lovely city, but politicians have spoiled it, but that is normal for politicians, It is a wful city now, boring, filthy, smelly and to be honest I can see why people leave.

Call for Hereford Link Road Rethink

stop_1.jpg?itok=5VwwJVJq

We've written to Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, asking him to call in Herefordshire Council’s decision to approve the controversial Hereford Southern Link Road.

In his letter to the Secretary of State, Campaign for Better Transport's Stephen Joseph set out the many grounds on which we objected to the link road, not least that it is a waste of public money, creating a lot of harm for little or no benefit.

In addition it will result in considerable loss of best and most versatile agricultural land, lead to the loss of ancient woodland and destroy an Iron Age settlement, and increase pollution, yet do very little to relieve traffic in Hereford, given that only 15% is through traffic.  

There are positive alternatives to the new road:

"... other more sustainable and less damaging alternatives to a new road were not properly considered. Given that 85% of all traffic is heading into Hereford itself and not through it, there should be plenty of opportunities to reduce this through a series of measures to improve the infrastructure for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport. In doing so, this is likely to make the centre of Hereford a more attractive place which would strengthen the local economy."

Its clear that the Link Road conflicts with the National Planning Policy Framework principle to â€œactively manage patterns of growth to make the fullest possible use of public transport, walking and cycling, and focus significant development in locations which are or can be made sustainableâ€.

The full letter is attached below.

Campaign for Better Transport is just one of many groups objecting to the Hereford Southern Link Road, alongside Natural England, Historic England, the county Wildlife Trust and the Woodland Trustas well as local groups Here for Hereford, Hereford Transport Alliance and the local MP. 

Meanwhile at the same time as Herefordshire is under fire for approving this damaging road, the council is also cutting vital local buses.  All this from a Council that sets as its goal to "work together within an outstanding natural environment, bringing about sustainable prosperity and wellbeing for all."

Related

Call for Hereford Link Road Rethink

stop_1.jpg?itok=5VwwJVJq

We've written to Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, asking him to call in Herefordshire Council’s decision to approve the controversial Hereford Southern Link Road.

In his letter to the Secretary of State, Campaign for Better Transport's Stephen Joseph set out the many grounds on which we objected to the link road, not least that it is a waste of public money, creating a lot of harm for little or no benefit.

In addition it will result in considerable loss of best and most versatile agricultural land, lead to the loss of ancient woodland and destroy an Iron Age settlement, and increase pollution, yet do very little to relieve traffic in Hereford, given that only 15% is through traffic.  

There are positive alternatives to the new road:

"... other more sustainable and less damaging alternatives to a new road were not properly considered. Given that 85% of all traffic is heading into Hereford itself and not through it, there should be plenty of opportunities to reduce this through a series of measures to improve the infrastructure for pedestrians, cyclists and public transport. In doing so, this is likely to make the centre of Hereford a more attractive place which would strengthen the local economy."

Its clear that the Link Road conflicts with the National Planning Policy Framework principle to â€œactively manage patterns of growth to make the fullest possible use of public transport, walking and cycling, and focus significant development in locations which are or can be made sustainableâ€.

The full letter is attached below.

Campaign for Better Transport is just one of many groups objecting to the Hereford Southern Link Road, alongside Natural England, Historic England, the county Wildlife Trust and the Woodland Trustas well as local groups Here for Hereford, Hereford Transport Alliance and the local MP. 

Meanwhile at the same time as Herefordshire is under fire for approving this damaging road, the council is also cutting vital local buses.  All this from a Council that sets as its goal to "work together within an outstanding natural environment, bringing about sustainable prosperity and wellbeing for all."

Related

Sorry Denise but all I'm hearing is this.... “contribute to conserving and enhancing the natural environment and reducing pollution…†“actively manage patterns of growth to make the fullest possible use of public transport, walking and cycling.Where are the plans or ideas on reducing and improving traffic and its flow through the City?

Making the fullest possible use of public transport walking and here we go again cycling WILL NOT reduce any traffic in and around the City.

• 4 months later...

I have heard that there is going to be a demonstration outside the Shirehall 1pm tomorrow 20th October as Herefordshire Council, just a week after approving cuts to our library services is agreeing to spend £1million on purchasing the land that the Southern Link Road will go through. A friend of mine thinks she will be affected. What she is also concerned about is that the Council might be looking to buy more land under compulsory powers than the Southern Link Road goes through. How can the Council Compulsorily purchase land that the road doesn't directly affect? 

I thought the Southern link Road was a lot longer than the new Link road they are building in Hereford. I understand that buying land for the City Link road has already cost over £7million so how come the land the Council are buying in South Wye will cost just £1million? 

• 1 month later...