SAS Veteran Jailed - This is NOT Justice

Colin James

SAS Emblem.png

SAS Veteran Albert Patterson said he kept the 9mm self-loading pistol, which was taken from an Argentinian officer, to remind him of the 22 friends that died in the conflict.

Judge Christopher Plunkett yesterday said that he had been privileged to see Patterson’s service record but parliamentary legislation left him with little choice but to send the former soldier to prison. Albert Patterson was handed a 15-month prison term for having the 9mm self-loading pistol which he took from an Argentinian officer during the campaign.

“In the wrong hands these weapons could lead to the death of police officers or cause all sorts of mayhem,” Judge Plunkett told Hereford Crown Court.

“It is this risk that parliament is concerned about.”

Patterson had previously admitted possessing a 9mm self-loading pistol, five rounds of expanding ammunition, 177 rounds of 9mm ammunition, four Enfield pistols and a gas self-loading rifle component part.

Stephen Davies, prosecuting, said that Patterson now lived in Thailand when not working overseas and – following a divorce from his wife – his brother went around to his former home to collect his items.

However, his former wife became suspicious of what his brother was up to after items of jewellery had previously gone missing.

She contacted police and they carried out a full search, finding the illegal weapons.

Please sign The Sun's Petition for his immediate release.

Controversial, I know, but whereas you could probably understand taking a pistol as a trophy, why the 177 rounds of ammunition? I know it's great to show support for our armed services, especially our city's regiment, but let's be realistic about it. He had an unregistered 9mm pistol and 177 rounds of ammunition located in his house in a place that was obviously insecure! If that had been anyone else in this city, this topic would definitely have had a very different slant? I spent just short of 10 years in the army so I'm not just some tree hugger who's trying to stir things up. He broke the law, in a very serious way, and should not be treated any differently as a result in my opinion. Before jumping on a band wagon, please consider the potential consequences of his possessing this deadly weapon illegally. Just my thoughts on this.

He broke the law, in a very serious way, and should not be treated any differently as a result in my opinion. Before jumping on a band wagon, please consider the potential consequences of his possessing this deadly weapon illegally.

I tend to agree. It's not just the gun, it's the copious quantity of ammo including "expanding" bullets which I take to mean hollow points/dum dums that inflict hideous wounds on living targets. Rather more than you'd need for a simple souvenir I would suggest

I think I'm right in saying it's drummed into service people that you don't take bullets home, not even expended cartridge cases from the range.  It might be that this is perhaps more a case for the health services rather than the legal system but the fact remains an offence has been committed.

I hope nobody's suggesting that Mr Patterson should be allowed to keep his private arsenal.

I tend to agree. It's not just the gun, it's the copious quantity of ammo including "expanding" bullets which I take to mean hollow points/dum dums that inflict hideous wounds on living targets. Rather more than you'd need for a simple souvenir I would suggest

I think I'm right in saying it's drummed into service people that you don't take bullets home, not even expended cartridge cases from the range.  It might be that this is perhaps more a case for the health services rather than the legal system but the fact remains an offence has been committed.

I hope nobody's suggesting that Mr Patterson should be allowed to keep his private arsenal.

I see no reason why he cannot keep the gun as long as it is decommissioned, i'm sure he earned his souvenir.  

Sadly I cannot sign the petition. Once you leave the service you are but a normal civilian. He knew full well he was breaking the law albeit 20 years ago. I respect his service and I also respect the excuse he gave for having the weapon along with ammunition for it. But. It is still breaking the law and you are told about this when leaving the service after being on combat duties. Should he have been incarcerated? No I think that was a little harsh, I can only assume the judge wanted to set an example for others of us who has kept a trophy of war without it 1st being decommisioned. Can you imagine the outcry if this ex serviceman snapped and shot and killed a few people? Tough one I know.

I think what is more frustrating is reading week in and week out about drug/alcohol addicts thieving regularly with not a care in the world and they usually get away with just a slap on the wrist, these people cost the likes of the general hard working population £££'s in support centres, medicine and stolen items (because the only way the retailer can protect their margins is by putting the price up) yet this man is made an example of and sent to prison, I think its a disgrace and the Government and Courts should be embarrassed. Unlike the previous member, who agrees that a prison sentence is harsh still refuses to sign for his release? I have signed this petition in just a blink of an eye.

He broke the law, but i do not think he should have got to prison when we have people that have a record as long as your arm and yet the judges still let the stay on the streets.

So if you do not think he should of gone to prison, can I take it that you have signed for his release?

I think what is more frustrating is reading week in and week out about drug/alcohol addicts thieving regularly with not a care in the world and they usually get away with just a slap on the wrist, these people cost the likes of the general hard working population £££'s in support centres, medicine and stolen items (because the only way the retailer can protect their margins is by putting the price up) yet this man is made an example of and sent to prison, I think its a disgrace and the Government and Courts should be embarrassed. Unlike the previous member, who agrees that a prison sentence is harsh still refuses to sign for his release? I have signed this petition in just a blink of an eye.

I agree, like this one for example, no justice anymore unfortunately.