Unnecessary Traffic Gridlock Again!

Colin James

I cannot believe what I have seen this morning.

A49.jpg

Photograph courtesy of Scott-Hayley Alderson, who left his house in Clehonger at 0720 and is now sat in traffic coming into the city on the A49 Ross Road.

(Left Clehonger at 7:20 still sat on Ross Road. Over an hour and a half on the Road. Pain in the backside!)

Traffic gridlock, traffic coming into Hereford is queuing out past the Clehonger turning yet again and why?

They are digging a hole near to the Debenhams roundabout in the left hand lane more or less in front of Steels by the doctors surgery, so why the hell have the reduced the traffic to 1 lane at the end of Victoria street and put about 100 traffic cones in every possible location leading up to this whole? I am sure it is essential work that needs to be carried out but why so many cones?

Hereford Traffic.jpg

Why didn't they start a few cones AFTER the Whitecross Road turning? This stupidity and lack of common sense has caused gridlock for ALL THE TRAFFIC coming into Hereford from the south, A49/A465 and ALL OF THE TRAFFIC coming onto town from Whitecross Road along the A438.

I don't think it's safe, or realistic, for three lanes of traffic to be rushing from those lights to meet a squeezed area past that box junction. I would hope that people have sat down today to think about any necessary 'tweaking' of the temporary plans in place ....

gas_hole.png

I take it that Herefordshire Council cant unblock and mark the left hand lane of Victoria street  for vehicles turning left towards Whitecross, This would give 2 lanes open for traffic on Victoria Street with just one heading towards the Edgar Street roundabout.

I must admit that I was very glad I had taken up cycling earlier this year - the conditions were perfect and cycling home the birds were singing their little hearts out a really lovely ride.  A couple of people I met yesterday (all young and working age) had taken over an hour to drive from Three Elms or Belmont within the city - this would take less than 15 minutes by bike. They told me they wouldnt be cycling to work today either. Such a shame as this is just adding to the congestion and shows how people hold onto the "benefits" of their car when there arent any! Conditions for walking or cycling couldnt be better either - no rain, no wind and slow moving traffic everywhere.

I take it that Herefordshire Council cant unblock and mark the left hand lane of Victoria street  for vehicles turning left towards Whitecross, This would give 2 lanes open for traffic on Victoria Street with just one heading towards the Edgar Street roundabout.

They should remove that section of cones because they are the cones causing the majority of traffic.