Asda GP Walk-In Centre To Close - Petition

Colin James

Colin, I'm on the same page as you. I agree! The Asda centre provides great value for money, a great public service and it produces a great deal of slack in an overstretched system which provides all the feeder surgeries much needed support.

Sadly, it ain't enough. They'll keep pushng on with Taurus Healthcare, and despite most within the local healthcare profession recognising that it's all been a waste of time and money, they'd sooner destroy Asda that clearly works for the people than ever face up to their avoidable mistake that was the creation of an arms length company that's in it to make money through privatisation.

One way or the other Asda will change and there's absolutely nothing the people can do to stop it. Too many former or retired NHS management suits have invested their futures on the creation of PLC's that are designed to meet the needs of transformation and Common Purpose within the NHS and are set up and designed to fully exploit outsourcing that eats away at the low hanging fruit of our public money.

As for Taurus, the biggest beneficiaries in this tragic tale of woe, eventually the NHS will cut the cord of public funding, set it adrift and sell it to an old close friend at a remarkably low price allowing a few to become very wealthy and providing no financial return to the paying public.

This is all quite worrying for the long term, time will tell.

• 3 weeks later...

A walk-in centre is efficient. it takes pressure off A&E, leaving that for real emergencies. It provides a fail-safe option for minor injuries and illnesses that suddenly appear or take a turn for the worse.

I have a chest infection, as I often do at this time of year. I hope I won't need antibiotics, but if my condition deteriorates I will need to see a doctor and get a prescription as soon as possible. Without access to this service when my GP surgery is closed, over a weekend for example, I could even find myself with pneumonia and needing hospital care. I doubt if the wide-reaching benefits of walk-in centres have been monitored or reported accurately.

I will be attending the meeting at the Kindle Centre and will present my petition to the chairman of the CCG at the same time.

Glenda, if I am unable to attend I will send you all 3100 signatures from our petition but you may need to remind me beforehand.

Four meetings have been organised to discuss the proposals.

There are two on Wednesday, March 15 at the Kindle Centre at Asda from 3 to 5pm and then again at 6 to 8pm.

There are two further meetings on Wednesday, March 29 from 3 to 5pm and 6 to 8pm at Hereford Town Hall, St Owen Street.

There will also be drop-in events at the walk-in centre on Wednesday, March 22 and Wednesday April 5 between 11am and 4pm.

The full consultation and questionnaire will be published on the CCG website from Friday, March 3 and will be available here: www.herefordshireccg.nhs.uk/get-involved/seven-day-services

If you have any questions about the proposals, contact 0121 612 3806.

colin, thank you can you put the petition through my letterbox, you know where I live. Not sure whether to go to the meeting at Kindle in the afternoon or evening slot. I want to take the HT with me, and for them to print it in the paper, so that the CCG can't say they never received the petitions. Glenda.

• 2 weeks later...

colin, thank you can you put the petition through my letterbox, you know where I live. Not sure whether to go to the meeting at Kindle in the afternoon or evening slot. I want to take the HT with me, and for them to print it in the paper, so that the CCG can't say they never received the petitions. Glenda.

I have ended our petition today and have we have collected a huge 3186 signatures that will be handed in this week by Glenda Vaughan-Powell on our behalf, lets hope they take a good long look at this and make the right decision.

I attended the consultation about the GP walk-in centre this afternoon and presented both the on-line petition and my paper petition total signatures of 6,556 to the chairman of the CCG, I was disappointed with the attendance only 8 people including myself attended the consultation between 3pm-5pm. There was a very good discussion and 7 out of the 8 people wanted the GP centre to stay. One man picked the CCG up about the consultation papers because their verbal address did not correspond with what was in the printed paperwork given out. I said if they want to sell their idea to the people of Hereford they should have up to date information available that corresponds with their presentation, CCG answer was they are updating their information next week, but I insisted that information should of been available today.

Apparently CCG idea is to put the surgery that is in Ross Road, and Taurus into the walk-in centre building, where you can see a Dr providing you make an appointment with the surgery, but you have to be a registered patient. I asked some very awkward questions that they could not give a satisfactory answer to. People said it will not work because people are waiting up to 5 weeks for a doctors appointment at their surgeries and if the GP walk-in centre goes people will just go back to attending A&E with anything between 6 to 12 hour wait before you see a doctor. I was told that councillors were going to attend the consultation tonight, let us see their response if any to the CCG proposals. I wait with interest at any comments.

Paul Hereford Voice had its own piece on this printed on page 3 of HT. My petitions signatures were collected at Tesco Belmont, Belmont Centre, Belmont chemist and natural health centre, also at Putson post office  and Kindle centre. Further signatures were collected yesterday at the Kindle centre, walk-in centre and in Newton farm.

Paul Hereford Voice had its own piece on this printed on page 3 of HT. My petitions signatures were collected at Tesco Belmont, Belmont Centre, Belmont chemist and natural health centre, also at Putson post office  and Kindle centre. Further signatures were collected yesterday at the Kindle centre, walk-in centre and in Newton farm.

Glenda there is a small piece on the right hand side of the HT mentioning both HV and yourself, online they have added all of the combined signatures in their headlining but only mentioned you not HV, a little unfair perhaps but this is just my observation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reliably informed that at a closed meeting of the CCG on Tuesday one of their staff advised the meeting that AS THEY HAVENT RECIEVED ANY OBJECTION  they are considering closing the GP walk-in centre. As both Hereford Voice and my petition combined got 6,556 signatures where their member could say that I don't know. I have contacted the person concerned to ask her to explain what she said, she said she didn't say it. I have got in touch with the HT and Free Radio again, as far as I'm concerned the fight is not over to keep the GP walk-in centre OPEN!!!

• 2 months later...

I attended the meeting of the CCG this afternoon, and although  they said they had not made a decision  at the meeting afterwards they told me the GP walk-in centre will close at end of June

No real surprises here then Glen, they have wanted to close it since it was first opened.

If that's true it very sad and disappointing after all the hard work / efforts made by people organising the Petition etc. People do not waste their time going round with a Petition nor do people sign it if they disagree .

Will "they " have to publicise their reasons why it is closing ?

They should, but they are  in favour of 7-day surgery opening, when I said I and the other people who sign the petition are disappointed, stating again that you cannot get an appointment at most surgeries  for 3-5 weeks  with the doctors working 5 day week what makes them think it will be better over 7 days, they claim that there will be other services and people working together over 7 days including a pharmacy in the Belmont Medical Centre, and if a doctor is not available people can see the nurse practioner .or ring 111 service. I told them the people will just go back to A&E.

The Ross road surgery will go into the Asda site after it is refurbished between 8am-6pm and Taurus between 6pm-8pm. The local councillor was there and agreed with what they are doing! which says a lot for the people he supposed to be representing in his ward. I have asked Jessie Norman to step in, he worked with me before in 2008 when we took a 10,000 signature petition to Downing Street to stop the post offices from closing, and we were successful.

Health bosses have decided to close Hereford's walk-in-medical centre at Asda despite fears that it could affect the most vulnerable people in the area. The county's Clinical Commissioning Group - CCG - will replace it with the current Moorfield House surgery and the out of hours service where people can get treatment in the evening and at weekends.
They say they'll give additional funding to local GP surgeries to make sure people can get appointments. The changes will happen at the end of July.

19274897_1581801755225560_54728049716844

I received a phone call this morning from the HT asking me for my comments about losing the walk-in centre. A photo shoot and interviews with disabled residents and their carers, walk -n centre staff and myself outside the centre tomorrow. I also receive a 30 minute call from the House of Commons from Jesse Norman and he has sent me a statement  to go with the story in the HT.

I understand that part of the thinking of the CCG is to expand the role of the community hospitals at Ross, Kington and Bromyard  (close to what their role used to be?). And one of the selling points for this was that the community hospitals offered free parking.

Clearly the Primary Care Trust, which, at least in principle is accountable for funding to the CCG, now sees an opportunity: http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15361326.Parking_charges_to_be_introduced_at_hospitals/

It will reopen  but not as a walk-in centre. The Ross Road  surgery will be in there also Taurus  but you will have to register with them to see a doctor, you will also have to make an appointment as you do with any doctor surgery now, with the possibility of having to wait  up to 2-5 weeks for an appointment.