Asda GP Walk-In Centre To Close - Petition

Colin James

I had an interview with BBC Hereford & Worcester today concerning this. Hereford Hospital was only very recently appealing to the public to use this facility because A&E weren't coping. What a lack in common sense this decision is. One with terrifying consequences- we do not have access to NHS Direct any more. As a young mother of a small child who has used this GP Access centre, as well as so many others I know- this just can't happen.

I had an interview with BBC Hereford & Worcester today concerning this. Hereford Hospital was only very recently appealing to the public to use this facility because A&E weren't coping. What a lack in common sense this decision is. One with terrifying consequences- we do not have access to NHS Direct any more. As a young mother of a small child who has used this GP Access centre, as well as so many others I know- this just can't happen.

I completely agree, so it is petition time Laura  :Winky:

Wonder what the reason is - I presume that it's the bean counters who are behind this apparent ridiculous decision - this Walk- In Centre must take a lot of pressure off the A and E and to close it will only add to the situation at the hospital .

Both I and Mrs U have used this centre on a number of occasions and had really excellent service .

the walk-in centre will not close if I have anything to do with it.this is the third time they have attempted to close it, and i successfully fought to stop it closing. I would like to start up another petition will you all support me in keeping this walk-in centre open, Glenda

Of course, Colin has already set one up here

I noticed this comment on the HV Facebook Page

I stopped using asda walk in a long time ago . I always use Taurus healthcare a fantastic service. Sadly not alot of people don't know about it. Still it would be sad to see it go. Especially for those that use it during the day instead of own docs.x

Frank has mentioned Taurus Healthcare. This Arms Length Private Company was originally introduced into our community to replace the ASDA Surgery. That intention still stands and, one way or the other, one day soon, the ASDA Surgery will close.

The only reason the ASDA Surgery still remains in place is because of its huge use by the people and the complete disorganisation and chaos that is Taurus Healthcare.

Tens of thousands of pounds have been thrown at Taurus and like most things that public services get involved in, 'it has to work now' because reputations must be protected. No matter the huge waste in public money together with every Surgery in the City having to invest thousands in it, and no matter that nobody knows about Taurus, they will plough on and the ASDA Surgery will close.

I'm afraid that petitions, public support and an argument based upon common sense will not save the ASDA Surgery. It's going to go. When does it go is the question.

Frank has mentioned Taurus Healthcare. This Arms Length Private Company was originally introduced into our community to replace the ASDA Surgery. That intention still stands and, one way or the other, one day soon, the ASDA Surgery will close.

The only reason the ASDA Surgery still remains in place is because of its huge use by the people and the complete disorganisation and chaos that is Taurus Healthcare.

Tens of thousands of pounds have been thrown at Taurus and like most things that public services get involved in, 'it has to work now' because reputations must be protected. No matter the huge waste in public money together with every Surgery in the City having to invest thousands in it, and no matter that nobody knows about Taurus, they will plough on and the ASDA Surgery will close.

I'm afraid that petitions, public support and an argument based upon common sense will not save the ASDA Surgery. It's going to go. When does it go is the question.

I agree with bobby47, I think unfortunately it is only a matter of time before the GP Centre closes, however, I have set up a petition to see what can be done locally to keep the walk in centre open PETITION HERE. (I have address it to the NHS but that is very general, I can edit that once I know the target of our petition)

All we can do is add our support to keeping the centre open and hopefully put pressure on the powers that be to reconsider.

Petition signed. My wife and I have used Asda Clinic a few times as our daughter only seems to get sick at weekends!  I was once told by a receptionist at my local surgery, to not use the facility as they get charged £5.00 each time. My answer was, that if you were open then I wouldn't need to use it. Her reply was that to open would cost more than £5.00. My brain hurts!

Folks, The ASDA Surgery was originally introduced to alleviate visits to our Hospital. Back then the Hospital had a walk in out of hours Surgery that was simply placed there to stop patients bothering the Admissions staff with minor ailments.

Then, because the whole place was getting cluttered and it was having an impact upon the smooth running of the Hospital, the idea of the ASDA Surgery was introduced.

The positive impact of ASDA is that City and County surgeries are less strained because people, particularly those South of the Wye and those who's jobs don't allow for a rigid appointment time choose ASDA rather than their own Surgery. Course, because something works and benefits everyone is no good reason for the suits to tinker and tinker they have and will continue to do. They can't help themselves.

As for Taurus, generally speaking, it simply doesn't work and once the ASDA Surgery has closed, in about five years time, these very same suits will think, 'let's get ourselves back into ASDA because the local Surgeries cannot cope.' It's all about going round and round in circles, it's all boll.ocks and they're doomed to repeat past mistakes and waste your time and your money on breaking things up that once worked.

Hello Dave. I'm happily surprised. Let me tell you all this and I've no idea whether or not it's true of all GP Surgeries. One Surgery that I'm familiar with, all the Partner Doctors work a four day week and around five hours a day. No more!

Now, if this figure is typical of many other Surgeries within the County, and I've no idea whether it is, then the time has come to burst their bubble and force them to rejoin the real world and expect them to do more.

So preoccupied with areas of business that create a tick the box culture that generates Governmental payments, they've become lazy and only interested in taking your blood pressure, treating Diabetes and other in vogue money making excercises such as Dementia. This is the way the NHS now works. Extra payments for the narrow areas of illness that earn them a payment every single time they tick a box and say, 'pay me'.

The Greenknight will I'm sure be able to add to this.

It is vital that we keep this centre and the wonderful service it offers open!!!! This will no doubt have a massive impact on an overstretched A&E department if this were to close, what planet are these discussion makes on? I have obviously added my signature to the petition. 

The govt is pushing for 7 day working, there aren't enough GPs to go round so will cost more to run. Taurus found there wasn't much demand for services later on a sat and over sunday. I imagine there will be a push for a Taurus Hub at the county hospital. 

Another vital service looks like we could loose. The cuts are now hitting hard the most needy in society it has to stop, but this service is not just used by local folks but people from Ross to the Golden Valley Area due to reasonable ease of access. I know the County Hospital also relies of this service to take the pressure off them when demand is high.

What are MP's doing about this?

HT:

A SERVICE providing urgent care services has extended its stay in Herefordshire.

Taurus Healthcare Ltd, part of a Prime Ministers Access Fund pilot, has bases in Hereford, Leominster and Ross-on-Wye.

It was set-up as part of a national pilot to extend GP services into weekends and evenings.

Bosses have told the Hereford Times this afternoon that it has secured funding from NHS England to "remain operational" for a short period past March 31 when the Prime Ministers Access Fund pilot is due to come to an end.

"Taurus Healthcare Ltd, the GP federation and the CCG are working actively with colleagues in NHS England, to secure ongoing funding for this very popular and successful service," said Taurus in a statement.

"To continue to deliver services whilst these discussions continue, additional funding has been secured for a further period which will enable the service to remain operational whilst these discussions are completed.

"The CCG has an ongoing programme of patient and public engagement on the Urgent Care Pathway. The continuation of this process will seek further the views of local people and the wider community."

As reported by the Hereford Times yesterday, CCG bosses say they are considering closing the GP walk-in centre in Hereford and minor injury units in Leominster, Ross-on-Wye, Ledbury and Kington.

In their place, the CCG says it is currently working with GPs and NHS England to take forward the "development and implementation of seven-day GP services".

Hello Dave. I'm happily surprised. Let me tell you all this and I've no idea whether or not it's true of all GP Surgeries. One Surgery that I'm familiar with, all the Partner Doctors work a four day week and around five hours a day. No more!

Now, if this figure is typical of many other Surgeries within the County, and I've no idea whether it is, then the time has come to burst their bubble and force them to rejoin the real world and expect them to do more.

So preoccupied with areas of business that create a tick the box culture that generates Governmental payments, they've become lazy and only interested in taking your blood pressure, treating Diabetes and other in vogue money making excercises such as Dementia. This is the way the NHS now works. Extra payments for the narrow areas of illness that earn them a payment every single time they tick a box and say, 'pay me'.

The Greenknight will I'm sure be able to add to this.

Well we have commented before BobbyB, but what can I add that has not already been said. For now Taurus will get an extension whilst the GP brethren work out how to deliver a 7 day a week service! Tough when they can barely deliver 5. Bobby,s experience of practice working hours can be seen throughout the land. Personally I would rather see clinics like that at Asda staffed and maintained by those that have a genuine interest rather than established surgeries being forced to partake in something that there is little enthusiasm for. After all if the intent was there then the implementation of extended hours would have been voiced by BMA rather than being forced upon by government.

The minor injuries centres should be maintained and in fact better utilized offering GP access facilities and staffed by those that have a real interest in providing a not for profit service.....but what do I know.