Hereford Floods

Colin James

The highways agency were out in large numbers tonight, just seen at least 6-8 guys in hi viz jackets walk onto the Old Bridge armed with their torches checking the river levels, never seen these guys out at 12.30am before. They wondered off down past the Saracens Head towards the Victoria Bridge.

I took these photographs.

Wye.jpg

The power of nature really is amazing! Think of the amount of water flowing through there per second, and the mind boggles (I did A level geography, and we had to work out the flow rates for river cross sections, and even with a small river the numbers are staggering)

Could potentially get worse yet, as we are forecast for heavy rain in the welsh mountains today (Wednesday) and more Thurs/Friday, plus over the weekend - be prepared everyone and stay safe.

Also, if you have to drive through flood water, keep the speed low - 2nd gear with higher than normal revs is sufficient, max of probably 10 mph. You don't want a big big bow wave to swamp your air intake - or indeed smaller vehicles coming the other way.

If you are unsure, find another route.

The power of nature really is amazing! Think of the amount of water flowing through there per second, and the mind boggles (I did A level geography, and we had to work out the flow rates for river cross sections, and even with a small river the numbers are staggering)

Could potentially get worse yet, as we are forecast for heavy rain in the welsh mountains today (Wednesday) and more Thurs/Friday, plus over the weekend - be prepared everyone and stay safe.

Also, if you have to drive through flood water, keep the speed low - 2nd gear with higher than normal revs is sufficient, max of probably 10 mph. You don't want a big big bow wave to swamp your air intake - or indeed smaller vehicles coming the other way.

If you are unsure, find another route.

That happened to me once in a diesel car! My boss at the time insisted that I could drive through the water under the bridge at Rotherwas, clearly that was a mistake because water got into the air intact and because it was a diesel it knackered the engine.

That happened to me once in a diesel car! My boss at the time insisted that I could drive through the water under the bridge at Rotherwas, clearly that was a mistake because water got into the air intact and because it was a diesel it knackered the engine.

It's happened to a lot of people - modern cars have the air intake quite low down due to packaging constraints within the engine bay, leading to a large number of water damaged blocks