ASDA's Planning application for a petrol station

Chris Chappell

Coming out of St. Martins Street onto the Asda roundabout at peak times is a VERY long wait and then the road ahead is blocked as there is no yellow box ~ road is clogged by southbound A49 stuff. I nearly got taken out there a few weeks ago trying to exit to go to Asda.

I don't subscribe to the campaign for 'all lights out' at all times as I think this needs proper investigation. 

One word - Roundabout

Chris I was not being rude or antagonistic. I am merely stating the obvious. A roundabout will suffice. I have common sense. If you want me to be rude I can be? I can also be sarcastic!

Why do both councils ask for public opinion then, not listen to the people they've asked for input? They may consider views, but inevitably do what they Initially planned anyway!?

Take the road to nowhere2 - or should I just call it a bypass. Please explain its purpose?

C'mon even Ledbury has a proper bypass and Ledbury is a third of the size of Hereford!

• 1 month later...

Hello all, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here and reviving an old thread, but we're holding a staffed display of the PFS plans tomorrow and Saturday at the store (15th and 16th).  Myself and two members of Asda's team from head office will be there from 2:30pm - 7:00pm on Friday and 10:30am - 2:30pm on the Saturday and we'd be delighted to take you through the proposals in more detail.  There will also be comments cards available for any points you may wish to raise.

If you can't make it then please do drop me a  message at alester@hardhat.co.uk or call 0113 357066 and we can talk you through them in more detail.

All the best,

Andrew

Hello all, 

I hope you don't mind me posting here and reviving an old thread, but we're holding a staffed display of the PFS plans tomorrow and Saturday at the store (15th and 16th).  Myself and two members of Asda's team from head office will be there from 2:30pm - 7:00pm on Friday and 10:30am - 2:30pm on the Saturday and we'd be delighted to take you through the proposals in more detail.  There will also be comments cards available for any points you may wish to raise.

If you can't make it then please do drop me a  message at alester@hardhat.co.uk or call 0113 357066 and we can talk you through them in more detail.

All the best,

Andrew

Welcome to HV Andrew and I will look out for you tomorrow. Good luck with the garage

Mick,/Alex, spend a morning with me in Holme Lacy Road, coffee on me! We will spend some time watching elderly and infirm trying to cross one of the most busy roads, only 10 meters from the Pelican Crossing. Why use a crossing when you can cross the road anywhere? We can watch as mums pushing their offspring in front of them, dodge traffic at the mini round about at junction of Chestnut Drive/ Hoarwithy Road rather than use the crossing provided! You can share my tablets that keep my blood pressure low. We can savour the abuse, lovely ancient English words, as we explain that perhaps walking only a few yards to the pelican crossing can spare their lives, while enjoying the various hand signals drivers have learnt to express themselves!

I will then drive you round to St Martins Street, where you can express your view to all ages, young and old, fit and disabled, how, after a clean up of the under pass, new lights, a police officer patrolling,24/7, they can all use the Drybridge Underpass to cross the A49!!!. If we have time, I will introduce you to the St. Martins Street Residents and Traders Association. The residents and businesses in St.Martins Street, spent several hours talking, thinking and helping to design the present road lay out at the time of the ASDAapplication. Perhaps spend a little time at the Drybridge Day Centre. If, after a wonderful day out, you still think that doing away with crossings for pedestrians on the junction at A49/Ross Road/Belmont Road/St. Martin Street/Hinton Road then we can go for a drink at the Welsh Club, where I am sure local members can express themselves far better than I. I will go home then and leave you to it.

The price of petrol is not a planning consideration. I will continue to talk to local people, other local councillors, users of Hinton Road, Belmont Avenue and regular users of the main roads for their views on the ASDA application as it is today.

Chris, I did not say have no pedestrian crossings I just think there are too many to0 close together. Having a garage here will make no difference whatsoever? 

My concerns are based around its closeness to the pelican crossing! 

They were quite happy to give Asda planning to build a huge supermarket so I fail to see what difference a little garage will make, really! The traffic is ALREADY THERE!! I cannot see additional traffic arriving just because a new garage appears.

They were quite happy to give Asda planning to build a huge supermarket so I fail to see what difference a little garage will make, really! The traffic is ALREADY THERE!! I cannot see additional traffic arriving just because a new garage appears.

I agree with Paul in that it's a little late now.

I have not seen the plans or followed this thread in detail ...would this mean the loss of the allotments?

Asda are renowned for providing cheap fuel it's just a bloody shame that it will pitch up against the one local provider (harvest) that has always tried to deliver a good deal and not just when the supermarkets are having a pop at each other!

We are ripped off in this county in so many ways!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Paul in that it's a little late now.

I have not seen the plans or followed this thread in detail ...would this mean the loss of the allotments?

Asda are renowned for providing cheap fuel it's just a bloody shame that it will pitch up against the one local provider (harvest) that has always tried to deliver a good deal and not just when the supermarkets are having a pop at each other!

We are ripped off in this county in so many ways!

The PFS will be going on the grass between the A49 and the allotments, pretty much where the old station and Greyhound Dog used to be years ago. I was told ages ago (can't verify accuracy) that the tanks are already in place, and that is also why there is an extra exit leading towards the bridge from the little Asda painted on roundabout

Asda got their planning application passed because in a 106 planning agreement they were supposed to give some of the land over to building a block of flats like the ones across the road as you go into St Martin Street, they were never built, that is also why the slip road onto the bridge was built as access to the flats. This is where they now want to put their garage.