The Spread Eagle

Denise Lloyd

Much better colour - looks like he's painting the holly the same colour. Usual pitiful standard of workmanship - not his pavement so why bother.

Is this a first coat or second coat ? When the new paint job dries I'll comment properly. The splodges on the pavement are chewing gum. Which the Glutton machine won't suck up. Ever .... 

Story in HT today written by Paul Broome as I requested he quoted my concerns about the colour, although the council allowed the colour change they are saying it is to bright a blue and told the new owners that they got to change colour by next week.

HT have published an update on their story with the below photograph of the remedial work:

img_ID48663280.jpg

Instead of the 'agreed' one new colour ~ which ended up as being too bright we now have a frontage of 3 colours (main front a dark blue/black .... gates' that are blue and a legend over the door which is a lighter shade of blue). It just looks like a dogs dinner of a job. There is absolutely no sympathetic treatment towards the character of the building. Has this been signed off as being acceptable for a Grade II listed building next to The Cathedral ? Who knows! This all seems to have been cobbled together on the back of a *** packet.

HT

I wrote this on the HT website comments

What about the gates? Until they are toned down it looks no better...

On a Grade II listed building the rules' cover the inside as well. Is the paint job inside still like a Manchester City fan club? And that hanging pub sign is not too brilliant either. A botch from start to finish. 

• 2 months later...

I see the venue has reverted to the Spread Eagle again!

I see the 'saltfish' FB page has changed it's name to 'Spread Eagle' ..... I can't vouch for any change in frontage/decor/appearance but binning the new name in 5 minutes is a sign of a struggling venue I think .... 

Coincidentally, I followed this up with Planning Enforcement a couple of days ago as the side gates were still the horrible blue and no application in for new signs. Transpires the previous Enforcement Officer has left, another is on maternity leave and so it appeared to have slipped down the back of the sofa. They are now back on the case ...

Coincidentally, I followed this up with Planning Enforcement a couple of days ago as the side gates were still the horrible blue and no application in for new signs. Transpires the previous Enforcement Officer has left, another is on maternity leave and so it appeared to have slipped down the back of the sofa. They are now back on the case ...

Good for you TWG this should not be ignored.  :Thumbs-Up:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks a shambles and somebody should be putting the owners under a lot of pressure to reinstate the paint work.

With so many local charities looking to raise funds it is a shame it cannot be turned into a nice tea shop serving just tea/coffee and homemade cakes and say soup and roll or sandwiches for lunch.  When I say tea shop not drinks served in a cardboard/plastic container but something to attract the many tourists who flock to the Cathedral and surrounding area.  This would take the overflow of the Cathedral restaurant.  I have aloways said more money can be made out of teas and cakes than any other food enterprise. That street used to look so attractive and welcoming but the owners of the pub have tried to lower the tone and thankfully did not succeed. 

By night be the popular pub it was and showcase the local ales/ciders and spirits.

Somebody with vision and a bit of money and organisational skills could do this.