The Spread Eagle

Denise Lloyd

Saw this on Facebook very surprised none of the city dwellers on here have picked up on this

The Spread Eagle is to open up as a Fish & Chip bar but we've heard reports that people who had bookings for Christmas meals at the Spread Eagle haven't been contacted despite menus being sent out.

UPDATE: The Spread Eagle is now a fish and chip bar. The current owners decided on a new venture. Customers who booked Christmas lunches however weren't notified of the likely change. We are led to believe this will happen over the coming days as the bar is expected to still serve a Christmas menu.

Even more surprised that they can get away with that colour of paint is it really in keeping with the rest of the street?

The Spread Eagle in #Hereford is to become a fish and chip bar. What do you think of the change?

CUe7J25WoAAIZ2i.jpg

Another pub lost, not so sure if chippy there will do any good, it is a bit out of the way.

I went to the spread at the start of the year for a meal, it was ok for the price, but I would not have gone over board about it. 

Do we really need another chippy? We do need a decent one as it seems the chip shops in Hereford is going downhill quality wise. i wonder if these people who serve their products taste them to see what they are like.

I agree about the colour.

I suppose there is no real change of use here. The Spread Eagle sold alcohol and food and this new 'plaice' will sell alcohol and food.

I echo the comments' of other posters' about the exterior colour scheme. To say it's 'loud' is an understatement. It's very unsympathetic to the surroundings. It's inappropriate for the area I think.

A 17th Century Public House 3 questions would this be listed? Are they allowed to change the name of it? Was there a planning application?

SPREAD EAGLE HEREFORD - Enterprise Inns
www.enterpriseinns.com/run-a-pub/pubs/PBO%20Reports/025341.pdf
  •  
Overview of Spread Eagle. The Spread Eagle is a 17th century public house located inHereford's King. Street. This is a wonderful example of a fine traditional ...

I have answered one of my own questions in that case I rather suspect that they are not legally allowed to change the name of it - oops

Spread Eagle Inn, Hereford

Description: Spread Eagle Inn

Grade: II
Date Listed: 10 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 372388

OS Grid Reference: SO5090439776
OS Grid Coordinates: 350904, 239776
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0542, -2.7174

Locality: Hereford
County: Herefordshire
Postcode: HR4 9BW

What is listed building consent?- Hide section

If you plan to alter, extend or demolish a listed building in a way that affects its character as a building of special interest, you must apply for listed building consent. This includes works to both the interior and exterior of a building plus works to outbuildings and boundary walls.

How do I report illegal work to a listed building?- Hide section

If you witness illegal work to a listed building, please contact planning enforcement at:

Herefordshire Council

I've looked on the Council Website and I can't see anything popping up for The Spread Eagle. Other than an old application about a smoking shelter. I find it hard to imagine they would consent to the new colour scheme as it's changed the character of the place out of all recognition.

Personally I do not mind the colour I think it's ok brightens the place up & makes it stand out!…but I also understand where people are coming from it's the shock factor but it may grow on you? & besides don't shoot it down before you've tried it!…but whether it will succeed or not only time will tell?

Do I need listed building consent to...

• Repair windows/doors â€“ No, providing they are carried out in a like-for-like manner but if there are changes in materials, appearance or in some cases colour, consent may be required.
  • Replace windows/doors - Yes, even if the new windows/doors are to be of the exact same design, material and finish.
  • Build a conservatory, porch or extension â€“ Yes if attached to the main building or curtilage buildings. Planning permission may also be required.
  • Build a separate building or structure within the curtilage â€“ No, but planning permission may be required.
  • Install a satellite dish â€“ Yes, if the dish is to be erected on any part of the building or curtilage buildings. Planning permission may also be required.
  • Repaint the exterior of the property â€“ Yes, if the building has not been painted before or if the proposed new colour affects the character and appearance of the building.
  • Repair/replace the roof covering â€“ No, providing the repairs or replacement roof covering are done using exactly the same material. Where possible existing pantiles/tiles/slates should be re-used. Consent may be required if there are any proposed changes to the roof timbers or structure or to the appearance of the roof as part of re-roofing works.
  • Put up a fence, wall or install gates within the curtilage of a listed building â€“ If the structure is to be attached to the main building or any curtilage building, then Listed Building Consent may be required.  Planning permission may also be required.
  • Do I need consent to demolish any structure or building within the curtilage of a Listed Building? - Yes.  Listed Building Consent will be required for any proposed demolition to any part of a Listed Building or any structure within the curtilage.  If the building is within a Conservation Area, Conservation Area Consent may also be required for any proposed demolition.

I expect to take down the original Spread Eagle signage and name change you will need approval

What happens if unauthorised works are carried out on a Listed Building?

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building which affects its character and appearance without our prior approval. If you do, you could be liable to prosecution, and/or be made to change what you have done. The maximum penalty could include imprisonment and unlimited fines.

The place is 400 years old and if it's Grade II listed then it's for a reason. 

It may have been a struggling venue but throwing the planning rules' out of the window just to attempt to keep it viable seems an abuse of process. I doubt the premises has ever been painted bright blue in it's entire history. 

Apologies for going on and on about this but if Freedom Church had to apply for change of usage and signage why have the Spread Eagle not had to do the same? If the Council's Planning and Conservation Department  have allowed this change to go through without planning they have as far as I am concerned once again failed in their duty to preserve the heritage of Herefordshire.  Read through any book on Hereford's history and the Spread Eagle has a mention.  Perhaps a representative of the Council would like to comment.  

Does anybody know who is the current owner of this property?

Apologies for going on and on about this but if Freedom Church had to apply for change of usage and signage why have the Spread Eagle not had to do the same?

There is no change of use as it's selling booze and food. Identical use to before. But the outrageous new colour scheme is in no way sympathetic to conserving or maintaining the history of the building. That drastic change has been authorised by The Council according to the people currently running the place. If that is the case I would suggest that the person who signed off the work is insane and unfit for office.

Here is a picture of the building before the makeover. Taken Aug. 2015 (Google Streetview)

Spread.jpg

Another pub lost, not so sure if chippy there will do any good, it is a bit out of the way.

I went to the spread at the start of the year for a meal, it was ok for the price, but I would not have gone over board about it. 

Do we really need another chippy? We do need a decent one as it seems the chip shops in Hereford is going downhill quality wise. i wonder if these people who serve their products taste them to see what they are like.

I agree about the colour.

Can't do the quote bit. Adrian seems to be the connoisseur on chip shops. Me I prefer decent ale, and food at a reasonable price. The Steak & Cider Co seemed a good idea. The "Full Pitcher" in Ledbury has gone, good food. Now "The Spread Eagle". "The Booth" was unfortunate due to the fire.  Oh well, who cares what colour the hoardings are! Does it get people into town? Does it create revenue?  What it does do, is reduce the number of listed buildings in our city that have a place of purpose!!

I don't use that pub these days but I do remember when it had 'Spread Eagle' over the door in gold writing. I don't remember the pub sign being changed to blue as per the photo below. But the 'Spread Eagle' writing changed to 'The Steak & Cider Works' (in white writing in my post above) and there does not appear to be planning decisions viewable on the Council website for any of these changes. What is the point of listing buildings if premises' change with little or no interest from The Council ? 

6061271069_3d62c0e1b1.jpg