Glastonbury Close & Sydwall Road Salt/Grit Bins

Colin James

I attended the BRPC Meeting last night at the Northolme Community Centre. During the public participation I asked if we could have at least 3 salt/grit bins for Glastonbury Close.

Salt bin.jpg

One to be situated at the top of the close near Sydwall Road, another at the bottom of Glastonbury Close situated in the turning point on the final bend and the 3rd positioned near to the open space at the very end.

Last Winter I drove to Tesco and collected grit on a few occasions and gritted the whole of the close from top to bottom as it is like an ice rink when the temperatures fall below zero. Over the years I have seen the bin lorry struggle and slide like you would not believe as well as vans and cars.

I remember seeing some yellow bins some years back but they have since disappeared. I will also write to the clerk to request a few additional bins in and around Belmont too.

I attended the BRPC Meeting last night at the Northolme Community Centre. During the public participation I asked if we could have at least 3 salt/grit bins for Glastonbury Close.

attachicon.gifSalt bin.jpg

One to be situated at the top of the close near Sydwall Road, another at the bottom of Glastonbury Close situated in the turning point on the final bend and the 3rd positioned near to the open space at the very end.

Last Winter I drove to Tesco and collected grit on a few occasions and gritted the whole of the close from top to bottom as it is like an ice rink when the temperatures fall below zero. Over the years I have seen the bin lorry struggle and slide like you would not believe as well as vans and cars.

I remember seeing some yellow bins some years back but they have since disappeared. I will also write to the clerk to request a few additional bins in and around Belmont too.

Would it be useful to have an up to date map showing the location of every grit bin? Whilst Hfds Council does publish a map of gritting routes https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/transport-and-highways/maintenance/roads-gritting/gritting-routes-map

They seem unwilling to publish the location of grit bins.

There is an interesting project run by volunteers in Birmingham which hopes to map the location of every grit bin in the West Midands using Open Streetmap http://www.mappa-mercia.org/maps/gritting-map

Maybe we could map all of the local grit bins? Would be useful for motorists / local residents and also help to identify areas that are missing bins? Open Streetmap is fairly easy to edit and paper maps can even be printed which volunteers can take out and about, write information on and this can be added to the map at a later date.

Would it be useful to have an up to date map showing the location of every grit bin? Whilst Hfds Council does publish a map of gritting routes https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/transport-and-highways/maintenance/roads-gritting/gritting-routes-map

They seem unwilling to publish the location of grit bins.

There is an interesting project run by volunteers in Birmingham which hopes to map the location of every grit bin in the West Midands using Open Streetmap http://www.mappa-mercia.org/maps/gritting-map

Maybe we could map all of the local grit bins? Would be useful for motorists / local residents and also help to identify areas that are missing bins? Open Streetmap is fairly easy to edit and paper maps can even be printed which volunteers can take out and about, write information on and this can be added to the map at a later date.

That is a good idea Ben.  :Thumbs-Up:

• 3 months later...

So apparently Councillor Des Parish has done a site visit to Glastonbury Close and between her and another councillor have decided that Glastonbury Close does not need a salt bin and it would not be warranted, I would love to know how they came to that conclusion?  So my request has been completely dismissed then? I think as the longest resident in the close for over 25 years it qualifies me to judge whether a salt/grit bin is required or not and from my experience over many winters (excluding this year which has been very mild) it is like an ice skating rink coming down the hill and around the sharp bend at the bottom of the close.

Last year we witnessed a bin lorry just sliding, it missed two cars by just a few cm. They do not grit the road and for the past 4-5 years I have driven to Tesco and Haywood lane to obtain a few buckets of grit and spread it down the whole street myself, hence why I requested a couple of bins.

I see from the minutes of the meeting that it has been deferred now until Autumn, so what was the point of that? I asked for these back last November! 

Colin James Request.png

What an utter joke! What is the precept money for? They are happy to spend thousands of pounds of CCTV camera for their little community centres but we can't have 2 salt bins at a cost of less than £90 each! Quite happy to pay a Councillor's family member £120 though to deliver their leaflets...

Request Referred.png

Salt Bin.png

Grit/salt bins website

I will write to the HT and highlight this and maybe I will bring up past financial questions while I am at it. 

Money that is wasted on frivolous things no problem but ask for £170 to purchase 2 grit bins as a safety and accident prevention and your denied, referral is a polite way of saying no in my opinion. You almost need a severe frost and an accident to happen now over the next month t prove a point. Who is this Des Parish bloke anyway, can't say I have ever heard of him, does he live in the close Colin?

Money that is wasted on frivolous things no problem but ask for £170 to purchase 2 grit bins as a safety and accident prevention and your denied, referral is a polite way of saying no in my opinion. You almost need a severe frost and an accident to happen now over the next month t prove a point. Who is this Des Parish bloke anyway, can't say I have ever heard of him, does he live in the close Colin?

ha ha Des Parish is a woman and no she does not live in Glastonbury Close. I have no idea when or if she did a site visit I can only go off what I was told and what it says in the minutes. Even though I was the resident who requested the bin, you would of thought that maybe they could of called me prior to  their apparent visit or even knocked on my door while they were on site to give me the opportunity to explain and point out the dangerous locations and to qualify my request.

Do we really have to start writing letters and having petitions in order to have a couple of bins placed in the close?

Seems like an arbitrary decision was made as opposed to listening to 'evidence' from someone who can relate details of previous problems. Have they got sidetracked over any lack of sufficient incline on the roads in that area? Blinkered? 

There is a grit bin near me by the way. Penn Grove Road. On a bend but no real incline on the road.

pgr.png

Nothing surprises me about the parish council to be honest. A legit request for a low cost bin to make the roads just that bit safer is basically rejected. I will have a troll through the minutes too and see where they spend their our money if not on sensible requests like this. Why was this no given the go ahead can one of the local Councillors please throw some light own this please?

Wonder what expertise / briefing these Cllrs have received which makes them experts in deciding where these salt bins should be located.

As an aside , we have one salt bin in my "village " / hamlet . My country lane which contains a hill on a bend has never been gritted by the Council - however a resident of the lane regularly fills his trailer up with salt from this bin and scatters it on the hill around the bend . He is doing is so that he, plus other residents along the lane can drive into work the next morning - if it wasn't gritted the lane would become impassable and more than 12 residents of the lane would not be reporting for work .

It is pretty obvious that a salt bin is needed here otherwise having one would not of been requested and Colin what not of gone out of his way to attend the parish meeting in order to submit his request, this is almost an insult to his judgement. They are taking the pi*%, what qualifies Des Parish or the other councillor as to whether a bin here would be justified unless they live in the close and witness the problems first hand.

It is pretty obvious that a salt bin is needed here otherwise having one would not of been requested and Colin what not of gone out of his way to attend the parish meeting in order to submit his request, this is almost an insult to his judgement. They are taking the pi*%, what qualifies Des Parish or the other councillor as to whether a bin here would be justified unless they live in the close and witness the problems first hand.

I took a few photographs this afternoon to show how bad the incline is with several bends and a nasty sharp bend on an adverse camber at the bottom of the close.

Glastonbury Close.jpg

Walking up the close, this is the sharp bend on the adverse camber

Glastonbury Close1.jpg

Walking further around 

Glastonbury Close bend.jpg

Another good angle looking up hill on a bend

Glastonbury Close2.jpg

Your can clearly see it is quite a steep incline this is where the bin lorry was slipping backwards last winter on the ice.

Glastonbury Close3.jpg

You can see the top of Glastonbury Close here where it joins Sydwall Road.

View from Sydwall Road into Glastonbury Close

Sydwall Road.jpg

This photo was taken in Sydwall Road looking down into Glastonbury Close

Glastonbury Close downhill.jpg

A little further, you can imagine how dangerous it is when it is icy, it is like an ice rink!

Glastonbury Close4.jpg

Another view looking back down the close a little further along

Glastonbury Close downhill2.jpg

A little further towards the bend

Glastonbury Close bend3.jpg

You can see the adverse camber coming up

Glastonbury Close main bend.jpg

Adverse camber is pretty obvious from this angle.

Des is a woman ah my mistake but thank you for pointing that out.

I agree with Mick, pictures certainly do speak volumes, it is obvious to me just looking at your photo's that a grit bin would be very useful here, I fail to see why they would defer or refuse one in all honesty. I would write too the HT and also contact the highways agency to highlight this.

Attend the next meeting and remind them of their duties.  Or come and live in Kingstone we're not like that!

I will Denise as long as I am not away on business but I will do my utmost to attend and ask, be good to have you there be a good opportunity to meet up.  :Winky:

The next full meeting of Belmont Rural Parish Council will take place on Thursday 14th April 2016 at Belmont Community Centre, Eastholme Avenue, Belmont, commencing at 7pm.

I do not understand why the parish council did not agree to supply the grit bins, I would love to hear their reason for not deciding and especially deferring a final decision to the Autumn, like that is going to make any difference, decision should of been made in favour while they had the chance, how annoying.

I took a few photographs this afternoon to show how bad the incline is with several bends and a nasty sharp bend on an adverse camber at the bottom of the close.

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close.jpg

Walking up the close, this is the sharp bend on the adverse camber

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close1.jpg

Walking further around 

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close bend.jpg

Another good angle looking up hill on a bend

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close2.jpg

Your can clearly see it is quite a steep incline this is where the bin lorry was slipping backwards last winter on the ice.

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close3.jpg

You can see the top of Glastonbury Close here where it joins Sydwall Road.

View from Sydwall Road into Glastonbury Close

attachicon.gifSydwall Road.jpg

This photo was taken in Sydwall Road looking down into Glastonbury Close

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close downhill.jpg

A little further, you can imagine how dangerous it is when it is icy, it is like an ice rink!

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close4.jpg

Another view looking back down the close a little further along

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close downhill2.jpg

A little further towards the bend

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close bend3.jpg

You can see the adverse camber coming up

attachicon.gifGlastonbury Close main bend.jpg

Adverse camber is pretty obvious from this angle.

Ice rink indeed, lots of cars just waiting to be hit when t's icy looking at these photo's, how did the visiting Cllr's come to their decision not to provide grit bins following a request from the public? They complain that hardly anyone attends their meetings and when someone does attend with a legitimate and sensible request it gets denied or if you want to dress it up it gets deferred. Where is the common sense here?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Any update on whether or not a bin or two will be provided or do the Parish Council intend to keep sitting on all the money they have?

No Steve! A salt bin is not required, as apparently the road is flat Having lived in Glastonbury Close since the houses were built over 26 years ago I can assure people that the road is definitely NOT FLAT! There is a bloody great slope all the way down, HENCE the bloody request to the BRPC. This low cost request was denied (probably because it was my request) so I am just waiting now for an accident to happen and then I will probably write to a few people.

It is -7c this morning and the road is like an ice rink! 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on salt bins

Myself and the Vice Chairman had a site visit to re-review the locations for salt bins, for  which this item was deferred from last year.

This was again tabled at last Thursday Parish Council meeting.

I am finally pleased to be able to announce that we as a Parish approved the installation of 4 new Salt Bins within Belmont Rural Parish.

1 - At the Junction of Sydwall Road and Glastonbury

2 - One at the corner of Glastonbury close where the road turns sharp right.

3 - One on Northolme Road where the road drops sharply

4 - One opposite the Junction of Tavistock on the grass verge.

Over the coming weeks these will be installed once we can get a supplier to deliver these along with the grit.

The plan next during next year will then be create a permanent base at each location to make them secure

On 10/12/2016 at 16:44, Adrian Bridges said:

Update on salt bins

Myself and the Vice Chairman had a site visit to re-review the locations for salt bins, for  which this item was deferred from last year.

This was again tabled at last Thursday Parish Council meeting.

I am finally pleased to be able to announce that we as a Parish approved the installation of 4 new Salt Bins within Belmont Rural Parish.

1 - At the Junction of Sydwall Road and Glastonbury

2 - One at the corner of Glastonbury close where the road turns sharp right.

3 - One on Northolme Road where the road drops sharply

4 - One opposite the Junction of Tavistock on the grass verge.

Over the coming weeks these will be installed once we can get a supplier to deliver these along with the grit.

The plan next during next year will then be create a permanent base at each location to make them secure

Thank you Adrian, it was good to meet you all on site and I appreciate all of the positive efforts that the majority of councillors have put in to make this happen. As you could all see from the site visit the Salt Bins are very much needed and will be a massive help during the winter months when ice is on the ground. 

This close is a real nightmare with the long slope and severe sharp bend with the adverse camber, these Salt Bins will be very welcome by all who live in the close.  :Thumbs-Up:

I am pleased to inform all on Hereford Voice that as promised the 4 Salt Bins were today installed by myself and two other Parish Councillors Neil Hooper and Derek Preedy (Photos attached).

1 - Northolme Road

2 - Sydwall Road / Glastonbury Close Junction

3 - Glastonbury Close

4 - Whitefriars Road opposite Tavistock Drive.

post-162-0-78303100-1482495691.jpg

post-162-0-07267700-1482495701.jpg

post-162-0-91143300-1482495713.jpg

post-162-0-92015800-1482495722.jpg

post-162-0-24634300-1482495864.jpg