Castle Green Hereford

Colin James

Herefordshire is a great place a beautiful place. I have not been here long enough to be a local but it reminds me of my true home as a child growing up when you could go out to play and be gone for hours and no-one would worry. Where with just a few strides a new adventure began with ya gang you seeketh out the biggest tree to climb or just walk for miles..last of the summer wine but from a child's eye I guess. You view, you wonder and wander but free to imagine without influence from the television or mobile phone. Do we still imagine today ..as a child there seems to be a need to fill a silence with music or text rather than just listen to our surroundings...there seems no time for that.

My old home had a city wall, a cathedral and a river running through it. The history to me was constant...Hereford has a lovely old salvation army lass in her chair whereas I had an old boy selling newspapers by the buttercross, his mind gone he would shout out words which you could not audibly differentiate but new what they meant.

This picture reminds me of the cricket pitch in St.Cross, Winchester so thanks for the images Colin.

GreenKnight, I too am a late resident, (1998), but absolutely love the county. I grew up in the wilds of Shropshire, ( leave the house after breakfast and come home when you were hungry). Herefordshire still could be better! In my mind all it would take is a few like minded people to grasp/get elected/or make a nuisance of themselves to alter the seemingly downward spiral that this county council seem to be taking us down. That said, I talked to someone the other day at work, who asked if I'd heard of Hereford Voice, recommended I join it, as, as he put it, a hell of a lot of common sense prevails there, pity the Councillors didn't take note. Ah, if only!

Sometimes, time stands still.

W H DAVIS 1911

What is this life if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs

And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,

Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,

Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,

And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can

Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,

We have no time to stand and stare.

Life must've been fast paced, for him to pen that classic. He'd be turning in his grave now!

Who owns The Castle Green and paths? Habitually used as walkways/social area but there are no rights of way there I'm told. And if there are no 'rights of way' there then why is this so? Apparently this is why people can be charged to use it as and when certain people decide that's happening .... ??

Who owns The Castle Green and paths? Habitually used as walkways/social area but there are no rights of way there I'm told. And if there are no 'rights of way' there then why is this so? Apparently this is why people can be charged to use it as and when certain people decide that's happening .... ??

Aaaargh!! Roger please dont give the Council ideas about where they can try and charge us, even if they have no right! 

Actually a beautiful picture thank you Colin - I remember cycling round the perimeter with my sister as a child, as we went there every Sunday in the afternoon when it was fine and would be allowed to see the ducks at the duck pond on the way home. We also used to climb over all the old canons that were on the perimeter of the old castle but I dont know where these all went to.I would love to know what happened to those as they were part of Hereford's History.

I am surprised how many people dont know Hereford has a  Castle Green  - I love taking family and visitors around the back ways and into the Castle green and back over the old Bridge. To my mind alot more could be made of  promoting this area of Hereford right in the middle of the City on the banks of our great River Wye. I think the Friends of the Castle Green should be congratulated for all the work they put into making so much of this area.