Coffee#1 Opening In Hereford

Colin James

Plans have been submitted this week for change of use at 4/5 High Town from retail to coffee shop. Coffee#1 are a national company with over 50 stores nationwide.

Coffee1.jpg

Coffee#1 opened its first store on Wood Street Cardiff in 2001. Since then, we’ve spent the last twelve years making a name for ourselves, serving up the finest ethical, gourmet coffee around South Wales, South West and the South Coast.

We now have nearly 50 coffee shops sprinkled across Wales, South West and the South Coast. We’ve picked up two BSA awards along the way and won the title ‘Best UK Coffee Chain’ the past five years in a row!

In our coffee shops you’ll find beautifully handcrafted coffee made with passion and skill served up in cosy coffee houses with lashings of character and cheer. Our beans are ethical and our milk is sourced from local dairy farms!

Pop in for buttery teacakes, a wholesome bowl of porridge or a breakfast bap to accompany your morning coffee; ‘Protect’, ‘boost’ and ‘cleanse’ yourself with our freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable ‘Super Juices’ (a refreshing way to start your day!!) or be tempted by the aroma of a freshly baked pastry.

Fancy a spot of lunch? Try out our new fine selection of lunch time goodies, we’ve got something for everyone. For that light bite, we’ve delicious wraps, savoury croissants and sandwiches but if you’ve worked up an appetite our toasted ciabattas and artisan barra gallegas will definitely hit the spot!!

We have the most marvellous array of teas and scrumptious cakes not just for afternoon tea but an all day temptation.

Where is 4/5 High town? I tend not to use the coffee chains if I can help it, the only one I do use if I have to use a coffee chain is Neros. I do prefer the coffee from Deagos, but it is a bit out of town, so I normally use the coffee cart if it is warm enough.

Costa is awful coffee and only ever been in one starbucks, never again.

I have heard of Coffee#1, but never been in one. I will give it a try when it opens. 

Where is 4/5 High town? 

priceless.jpg

pricesless2.jpg

I suppose a coffee shop is better than an empty shop. They will know that there is the opposition situated about 3 feet away (who have no rates to pay). It's part of the clutter that gets wheeled into High Town every day.

I would anticipate this new coffee shop will try and cordon off some space out front for the tourists' who will have quickly worked out that there's actually not a lot of proper shops in High Town to go into.

Where is 4/5 High town? I tend not to use the coffee chains if I can help it, the only one I do use if I have to use a coffee chain is Neros. I do prefer the coffee from Deagos, but it is a bit out of town, so I normally use the coffee cart if it is warm enough.

Costa is awful coffee and only ever been in one starbucks, never again.

I have heard of Coffee#1, but never been in one. I will give it a try when it opens. 

Next to Lloyds Bank. See planning application and docs attached (Number P153035/F):

AppForm 237293.pdf

BlockPlan 237298.pdf

Still has to be a lot better than having an empty building, so good luck to them. Unbelievable rent and rates, never realised they were that high it is little wonder why we have so many empty shops locally.

I also prefer to see a business using these empty premises regardless of what they sell. Coffee shops seem to be very popular so why not.

That's a lot of coffee to sell - very approx 106 cups/day before they start paying any other bills and then make a profit - I wish all these coffee shops in Hereford the best of luck. 

Costa probably take that in a week.

One certain company has taken just under 6 million since it opened

priceless.jpg

pricesless2.jpg

I suppose a coffee shop is better than an empty shop. They will know that there is the opposition situated about 3 feet away (who have no rates to pay). It's part of the clutter that gets wheeled into High Town every day.

I would anticipate this new coffee shop will try and cordon off some space out front for the tourists' who will have quickly worked out that there's actually not a lot of proper shops in High Town to go into.

Not sure what you mean by clutter to be honest, the way you put it is if it is a bad thing. I think the coffee cart being ion High town is a good thing a local company that sells pretty decent coffee. To be honest over the last couple of years their coffee have improved and while I prefer to drink coffee from a proper cup, I find their coffee nice. 

A lot of chain coffee bars over roast their beans and make them bitter, Coffee cart don't seem to.

The best coffee is still in Diagos, they sell local roasted coffee. 

The thing that I do find that takes up far too much space in the city centre is when there is two or more different markets in the centre at the same time. I like the retail market, but when you have got the farmers market on the same day it is too compact.

For too long Hereford was stuck in the past when it came to having tables and chairs outside, i think it was the cafe that was by Tescos passage, which is now the spice shop that started it. 

I love being able to sit outside with a coffee or a mixed berry smoothie in the summer watching people go by.

Next to Lloyds Bank. See planning application and docs attached (Number P153035/F):

attachicon.gifAppForm 237293.pdf

attachicon.gifBlockPlan 237298.pdf

Ah, I see, thanks for that.

Not sure what you mean by clutter to be honest

I'll enlighten you .... 

Cover or fill (something) with an untidy collection of things:

The thing that I do find that takes up far too much space in the city centre is when there is two or more different markets in the centre at the same time. I like the retail market, but when you have got the farmers market on the same day it is too compact.

That is called 'clutter' ..... Too much going on .... As alluded to by The Council Leader ..... 

You can buy coffee beans on the net, I buy mine from James Goumet from Ross on wye,  

Obviously not the point I was making .... 

I'll enlighten you .... 

That is called 'clutter' ..... Too much going on .... As alluded to by The Council Leader ..... 

Obviously not the point I was making .... 

As I said, i have not really got a problem with a bit of clutter as you call it. i like the idea of being able to drink a coffee outside, need to have a place that sells beer in the High town as well, so we can sit outside with a pint. I know it will not happen, but we can dream.

The retail market is good for people who uses it and gives a bit of life to a other wise dull city centre. 

Hereford city centre is not dull...

Try Cwmbran, or Stevenage, or Gloucester to name but three.

Hereford isn't Worcester, Cardiff, Birmingham or Bristol, and to expect it to be as exciting as somewhere much bigger is unfair.

There is far too much bashing of Hereford going on, and I intend to stick up for the old girl.

We as a population are very lucky to live in such a lovely part of the country and should be a little more grateful and a little less miserable about it.

Sure the "powers that be" are a bunch of tools at times, but I dare say, so are most other councils.

Hereford isn't Worcester, Cardiff, Birmingham or Bristol, and to expect it to be as exciting as somewhere much bigger is unfair.

There is far too much bashing of Hereford going on, and I intend to stick up for the old girl.

We as a population are very lucky to live in such a lovely part of the country and should be a little more grateful and a little less miserable about it.

Sure the "powers that be" are a bunch of tools at times, but I dare say, so are most other councils.

I totally agree and it is getting better with fewer empty shops 

Instead of looking at the ground space look at the buildings they are stunning and should be enhanced.  Tatty shops buskers flame throwers how lacking class is that?  No wonder some Herefordians have such a low opinion of High Town it should be made to look as inviting as say Phillip Morris/Elts/Saracen/Left Bank.  Tat encourages tat. Let the ones who want run of the mill shops go to new centre and lets have a bit of class in High Town.  Snob no just wanting to see something that once beautiful restored to it's former glory.The biggest stumbling blocks  are the rates and rent how they can justify charging that I do not know.

Could be worse - we could live in Ross Vegas

Hereford itself is dull, sure we got some great countryside, not that it will last long as they keep building on it, but that is about it. Oh yeah the retail markets are nice.

I know Hereford is not Worcester, Cardiff, Birmingham or Bristol, I am not expecting it to be, but let get some life in the city centre. 

​When we first separated from Worcester I thought great, now i think that perhaps it was not the best idea.

the council is a total waste of time, and over the last few years the Tories have to be honest got the city in the state it is in and yet people still vote them in. But that is Hereford for you.

I will bash Hereford as much as I want, I was born and bred here.

Tell me why Hereford is not dull?

Hereford City has great potential and I'm sure this will not go unnoticed by those less blinkered.

As for the property price for the building housing Costa well I think it's a good investment after all extensive works was carried out prior to occupation and you have a new sitting tenant paying 75K a year with two floors with potential.

Cheltenham, Worcester and Gloucester have seen better days and personally I think Hereford is a blank canvass with a beautiful frame in the countryside that surrounds it!

My wish is to see investment in the Green Dragon Hotel ...another fantastic opportunity in waiting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hereford itself is dull, sure we got some great countryside, not that it will last long as they keep building on it, but that is about it. Oh yeah the retail markets are nice.

I know Hereford is not Worcester, Cardiff, Birmingham or Bristol, I am not expecting it to be, but let get some life in the city centre. 

​When we first separated from Worcester I thought great, now i think that perhaps it was not the best idea.

the council is a total waste of time, and over the last few years the Tories have to be honest got the city in the state it is in and yet people still vote them in. But that is Hereford for you.

I will bash Hereford as much as I want, I was born and bred here.

Tell me why Hereford is not dull?

Okay...  I'll tell you a few reasons why.

We have beautiful, accessible countryside right on our doorstep.

Don't want countryside?  Okay, we have plenty of leisure facilities.  The Leisure Pool, the Leisure Centre, The Golf Course, there is a very well regarded Skate park at the leisure centre, there is an excellent BMX track at Westfailing Street, there is regular roller-derby at Foley Trading estate, there are a football clubs, rugby clubs, hockey clubs, tennis and squash clubs.  Hereford FC are back and winning...

Not the sporty type?  Okay, there are shows at The Courtyard, there is the new multi-screen cinema.

Don't like the arts?  Right, there is the Old Livestock Market - it has shops, restaurants, coffee shops...

Don't like the OLM?  Okay, there is High Town...  Again, shops, cafe's, The Old House...

There are plenty of pubs...

Don't like pubs?  There are restaurants...

Don't like to eat out?

There is the Castle Green for a walkabout, or the King George Playing fields / Bishops Meadows, the river...

What do you actually want from this city??

There is the A49, the A4103, the A465 other roads also lead away to elsewhere if it is that bad to live here.

Okay... I'll tell you a few reasons why.

We have beautiful, accessible countryside right on our doorstep.

Don't want countryside? Okay, we have plenty of leisure facilities. The Leisure Pool, the Leisure Centre, The Golf Course, there is a very well regarded Skate park at the leisure centre, there is an excellent BMX track at Westfailing Street, there is regular roller-derby at Foley Trading estate, there are a football clubs, rugby clubs, hockey clubs, tennis and squash clubs. Hereford FC are back and winning...

Not the sporty type? Okay, there are shows at The Courtyard, there is the new multi-screen cinema.

Don't like the arts? Right, there is the Old Livestock Market - it has shops, restaurants, coffee shops...

Don't like the OLM? Okay, there is High Town... Again, shops, cafe's, The Old House...

There are plenty of pubs...

Don't like pubs? There are restaurants...

Don't like to eat out?

There is the Castle Green for a walkabout, or the King George Playing fields / Bishops Meadows, the river...

What do you actually want from this city??

There is the A49, the A4103, the A465 other roads also lead away to elsewhere if it is that bad to live here.

Clarkester...now it might just be me however it seems that those who ridicule the county the most are those that have never lived elsewhere. Now is that a controversial statement?

I think it's a wonderful place and have observed all the things you mentioned.