Clarity on Queenswood cafe and car parking

Roger

Thursday 23 April 2015 / Letters

img_ID42883466.jpg

WITH reference to Sue Duncalf’s letter on proposed car parking charges at Queenswood (Queenswood cafe threat, Letters, March 12), may I correct a couple of issues?

My late wife and I ran the cafe from 1985 until 2002 and the first charge was introduced in 1999 and lasted for nearly two years.

While it did make a big difference to the turnover, we did not go out of business. Luckily trade returned to previous levels by the time we left, but this, I think, would not have been the case had the charge remained. So I support the current owners 100% in their protest.

Also the charge was very difficult to police given the location.

What the council never appreciate is that the cafe leaseholders are the only people with a large personal investment at Queenswood.

RICHARD SPENCER Weobley

HT

Comments were never 'open' on that archive letter. But first hand evidence is being given which seems pretty believable .... 

I can appreciate that revenue is needed. However, can the new owners not sell fire wood, (as in the past). charge schools for interaction days etc. Myself, wife and daughter love to go to Queenswood and follow trails, see woodland plants, jump in leaves and find the bears, mushrooms and buzzard. £3.00 is not a lot to pay for car parking, (over 2 hours),but , how do you "police" this on times? Do you go for a quick Sunday morning walk and pay for an hour, and get held up talking and get a parking charge? Again, as in an earlier thread, is this legal and payable? If not, everybody will still park for free and no investment will be forthcoming. Will there be wardens to ensure, as you have to by law, that dog walkers take enough bags with them for their pooches excrement. If so, how do you pay them? Parking charges?  

Now I don't know the answer to this otherwise I would not be asking.  It has occurred to me farmers get subsidies we all know whether you agree with it or not is not the point and I strongly suspect that owners of woodlands do also. Especially if it is a managed woodland. So not only have people paid for it through their council tax they are also paying for it through their income tax.  Maybe wrong on this but I think not

I have posted my comments of the HT website:

This is an absolute disgrace. People will now start parking around the woods instead of in the chargeable car park, which will lead to accidents. These beautiful woods will loose much of their attraction with these charges. This will be one of the worse things to happen here, how can they justify this?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I drove past at 12.20 today and the car park was absolutely rammed with cars. Practically full. I didn't drive in to see if the meters were active ~ but they were visible and did not appeared covered. Perhaps someone who has been recently might know? There were zero cars parked on the actual main road/verges but there is Highway activity with works/cones and all the lay-by's are not in use. The kids' are off school so that will account for extra activity maybe ... 

I drove past at 12.20 today and the car park was absolutely rammed with cars. Practically full. I didn't drive in to see if the meters were active ~ but they were visible and did not appeared covered. Perhaps someone who has been recently might know? There were zero cars parked on the actual main road/verges but there is Highway activity with works/cones and all the lay-by's are not in use. The kids' are off school so that will account for extra activity maybe ... 

We were there last Sunday and they still had covers on.Our French friends who came with us laughed when I explained about the meters.

If it's nice this Sunday we will be going again,if they are operational then we will divert to Haugh Woods