Hereford 2020

Colin James

What will our city look like, your thoughts...

Hereford2020.jpg

​High Town Refurbishment

The ‘High Town Refurbishment’ will create a consistent look and feel to help improve the city centre, which will attract shoppers, traders and businesses in to Hereford city. The Old Market development has improved the leisure experience in Hereford and has brought more people to Hereford city centre since it opened in May 2014. The refurbishment of Widemarsh Street in 2010 created a popular and attractive link between the old and new parts of the city and the High Town refurbishment will extend this area. The revamped Butter Market will provide a diverse space with a variety of businesses alongside retailers.

Public consultation about this refurbishment project is scheduled for November 2015. Further details on how you can feedback on the scheme to follow.

The High Town Refurbishment will be funded through the Herefordshire Council Local Transport Plan capital budget.

Transport hub and refurbishment of Commercial Road, Newmarket Street and Blueschool Street

High Town.png

Arriving in Hereford by bus or train, you are likely to walk from the station along Blueschool Street, Commercial Road and Newmarket Street. The refurbishment of these areas will make the walk or cycle into Hereford city centre more pleasurable, helping people lead healthier and more active lives. It will also be easier for visitors and residents to use buses and trains at a new ‘transport hub.’

Public consultation about this refurbishment project is scheduled for November 2015. Further details on how you can feedback on the scheme to follow.

The area improvements and transport hub will be built as part of the ‘hereford city centre transport package’ with funding secured from the marches local enterprise partnership.

Full details on the Hereford2020 Website

The Council's blog on this self-congratulatory "2020" website is rather ahead of itself!

"The planning application for the South Wye Transport Package - Southern Link Road has been submitted and will be considered and consulted upon by the Councils planning authority."

Well actually it has not been submitted yet! There is still a public consultation going on about the Southern Link Road, with an opportunity for everyone to comment on the latest documents like the archaeological report, see https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/development-control/planning-applications/details?id=151314&search=

This consultation has not been advertised very well but it goes on to 5 November so please send more comments to kgibbons@herefordshire.gov.uk

Excuse me if I've missed something here but speaking in relative timescales both Eign Gate and High Town were given a total makeover pretty recently. They didn't match but they were both made over. From memory the money never stretched to cover St. Peters St. or Commercial St. 

post-109-0-63600900-1445265890_thumb.png

The ‘High Town Refurbishment’ will create a consistent look and feel to help improve the city centre

The pictorial vision doesn't incorporate the reality. Which of course is the squeaky Kiddies ride in front of M&S, the Coffee Kart, the Multitude of vehicles and Sky advertising hut, the Shanty Town of tatty gazebo's, the Pork Roll seasonal van .... etc .... All of that open space clutter makes the picture fairly meaningless as it will just be obscured.

Why have we still got those hanging gibbets on the one side? I see that even though there arent enough bike stands now, there will only be space for 8 bikes in that picture. I thought that when the trees were removed from High Town for the bull statue that they would be replaced. Trees improve the environment by keeping the air cool in summer and improving air quality. To me they also "soften" the streetscape and they have been shown to improve people' s feelings of wellbeing - something needed in High Town with all the empty shops and the burnt out buildings.

Trees improve the environment by keeping the air cool in summer and improving air quality. To me they also "soften" the streetscape and they have been shown to improve people' s feelings of wellbeing - something needed in High Town with all the empty shops and the burnt out buildings.

Trees attract the pigeons in that area .... So they got felled .... 

Why have we still got those hanging gibbets on the one side? I see that even though there arent enough bike stands now, there will only be space for 8 bikes in that picture. I thought that when the trees were removed from High Town for the bull statue that they would be replaced. Trees improve the environment by keeping the air cool in summer and improving air quality. To me they also "soften" the streetscape and they have been shown to improve people' s feelings of wellbeing - something needed in High Town with all the empty shops and the burnt out buildings.

Tree's are great but the trouble in Hereford is once planted they leave them to grow wild and out of control, many tree's throughout the city are way overgrown through neglect! So for me personally, I would love to have tree's in High Town but if they are not going to maintain them like the rest off this city then I would prefer to be without.

I would love to have tree's in High Town 

So would I .... But the pigeon problem has to be sorted. They like any sort of tree.

12118883_10154418908718975_2437510726481

Whatever makeover happens then you will always have the tarmac splodge on that corner ..... It defines Hereford ..... A makeover is only as good as it's weakest link ..... 

post-109-0-63600900-1445265890_thumb.png

The pictorial vision doesn't incorporate the reality. Which of course is the squeaky Kiddies ride in front of M&S, the Coffee Kart, the Multitude of vehicles and Sky advertising hut, the Shanty Town of tatty gazebo's, the Pork Roll seasonal van .... etc .... All of that open space clutter makes the picture fairly meaningless as it will just be obscured.

I agree with you Roger that the picture doesnt reflect the reality, but a sterile lifeless streetscape like the one depicted here would see zero diversity and vibrancy. I much prefer to see the space used for a variety of events and purposes like it is now.

So would I .... But the pigeon problem has to be sorted. They like any sort of tree.

12118883_10154418908718975_2437510726481

Whatever makeover happens then you will always have the tarmac splodge on that corner ..... It defines Hereford ..... A makeover is only as good as it's weakest link ..... 

I'd be very surprised if this area was not done at the same time Roger!

Can't say I'm looking forward to visiting the area when the works are being undertaken, nor the shops in the area who will have to carry on trading.

I hated those poles when they went up, about time they came down.

The video was filmed inside the kiosk at the Old Market, not a studio lol 

Ah, I just had another quick look, yes you can see on the right hand side some form of frame. I knew he was inside and no outside.  I must admit, I thought that if it was chroma key, it was flipping good, because you can normally tell.

Shows how often I have been there to know what building faces what. 

Saying that he should have done the video in High town, proves to me that the council is not interested in High town at all and they must show the old Market at every opportunity 

Just been into town this morning. The place needs sorting now before it's too late ( probably is) every time  I go there it has deteriorated some more. Parts of it are disgusting. Sadly the old areas are in a sad state which will put people off visiting yet again. 

Shame that Councillor Price does not understand that without good transport links this County will not prosper.

Why is the railway station not being used as a transport hub where all modes of transport can interchange and make the front of the station a bus terminal too and allow buses to arrive from the Edgar Street and Aylstone Hill direction and by placing bus stops on both sides of the road. This link road here bypasses the railway station.

ill thought out project,the same with the A49 to A465 it is predicted that the Belmont Road will see a 13% drop but the A49 will see an increase by 15% so a negative impact on Greyfriars Bridge by 2% so of course long term road users will gradually return to the Belmont Road.

Then there is Rotherwas and the excellent public transport links? Councillor Price thinks that everyone will drive,he needs to think long term and look at putting in alternative transport links if they want to attract large businesses from outside the County because at the moment this is not happening. 

Shame that Councillor Price does not understand that without good transport links this County will not prosper.

Why is the railway station not being used as a transport hub where all modes of transport can interchange and make the front of the station a bus terminal too and allow buses to arrive from the Edgar Street and Aylstone Hill direction and by placing bus stops on both sides of the road. This link road here bypasses the railway station.

ill thought out project,the same with the A49 to A465 it is predicted that the Belmont Road will see a 13% drop but the A49 will see an increase by 15% so a negative impact on Greyfriars Bridge by 2% so of course long term road users will gradually return to the Belmont Road.

Then there is Rotherwas and the excellent public transport links? Councillor Price thinks that everyone will drive,he needs to think long term and look at putting in alternative transport links if they want to attract large businesses from outside the County because at the moment this is not happening. 

I'm pretty sure the new link road goes straight past the Train station.As the whole of the bus station is up for sale I'd guess it will be relocated here

Add a tram along the Great Western Way which will also connect them all and we will be somewhere near. 

Council Leader (Tony Johnson) was quoted in the HT today ...

"The aspiration for the centre is to bring it up to the same standard as Widemarsh Street, using the same robust materials for longevity, removing clutter and creating a consistent aesthetic.

So that describes the 'ghost shopper' picture. No clutter, no stalls, no coffee cart and no squeaky kiddies ride ... etc.

But hang on ... Cllr. Rone has a different vision ...

As reported by the Hereford Times last week, the council's cabinet member for transport and roads, Cllr Paul Rone, suggested the refurbishment could include children’s rides, buskers, flame-throwers and even a ‘band unplugged’ opportunity.

We've already got that clutter. The kiddies ride by M&S, We have flame throwers, We've got an endless supply of buskers' (some are verging on begging) and we have the Peruvian Pan Pipe Players. 

I doubt that the rent paying Coffee Cart will get thrown out or indeed I doubt the shanty town of tents will go ... So a couple of million to waste on some vanity project.

HT

Roger - you do love a good whinge.

Will be interesting to see the full proposed details and plans at the public consultation. The amount of scaffolding and empty shops is my biggest concern. Visually it looks crap at the moment and is def suffering from a lack of proper cleaning and maintenance

Visually it looks crap at the moment and is def suffering from a lack of proper cleaning and maintenance

The multi million costing materials installed in High Town Very Recently were apparently bespoke and up to the job. Then the neglect and trucks etc moved in. The Maintenance Schedule is dubious to say the least and the cleaning has dropped down the food chain to a privately operated Gulper Machine or whatever it's called. High Town is shambolic and dirty/grubby.

I was walking down Church Street (main shopping street) in Liverpool at 07.30 last Friday morning and the jet washers were out keeping the area sp!ck and span. All over the situation. Very clean. Just never gonna be happening around here. 

(I edited the post after noticing that the word 'sp!ck' is on the word censor list! Learned something tonight!) 

Roger - you do love a good whinge.

Will be interesting to see the full proposed details and plans at the public consultation. The amount of scaffolding and empty shops is my biggest concern. Visually it looks crap at the moment and is def suffering from a lack of proper cleaning and maintenance

No point in spending money on public consultations, the council never takes any notice anyway. 

The multi million costing materials installed in High Town Very Recently were apparently bespoke and up to the job. Then the neglect and trucks etc moved in. The Maintenance Schedule is dubious to say the least and the cleaning has dropped down the food chain to a privately operated Gulper Machine or whatever it's called. High Town is shambolic and dirty/grubby.

I was walking down Church Street (main shopping street) in Liverpool at 07.30 last Friday morning and the jet washers were out keeping the area sp!ck and span. All over the situation. Very clean. Just never gonna be happening around here. 

(I edited the post after noticing that the word 'sp!ck' is on the word censor list! Learned something tonight!) 

I agree, don't Liverpool have a elected Mayor? Maybe that is what we should do, save paying for a Mayor that just goes around with a chain around his neck and doing little else.