Dark Underpasses In Hereford - Update

The Greyfriars and Eign Gate underpasses are both in desperate need of some TLC. I took these photographs this evening and as you can see, it is very dark here, half the lights are not working.

The lights that are 'out of order' are numbers 1 (entrance) 4, 5, 8 and 9 (on the exit). 

GF.jpg

Look how dark the Greyfriars underpass is from Greyfriars end

GF2.jpg

This underpass is in need of some new bright LED lighting throughout and on both entrances including the pathway leading to the actual underpass. I think the council need to provide a safe environment for residents and this feels far from safe as it stands.

There is no CCTV coverage here either, this needs addressing sooner rather than later.

No go zone I would suggest. At any time of day. Anyone could be lurking under there. Drinking beer or whatever. 

This is why I have highlighted it Rog, we can't be having no go zones in Hereford. This could easily be turned around with additional lighting a lick of pain and a mirror each end so that people entering can see if anyone is stood there. CCTV would be good too.

I wouldn't use it in daylight let alone when its dark to many unseen corners for my liking, you could not see anyone lerking there until its to late. We won't get cctv look how long it took on GWW and the council didn't pay for that one, as I have said many time before unless its a 'pet subject' of the council's they are not interested. People's safety is right out of the window.

I think dodgy people are more likely to hang about at the southern end of the bridge. In that underpass there. I try really hard to avoid being negative but I suggest they are dodgy and best avoided. The Eign Gate one is a bit harder to avoid if you are on foot and live in Whitecross. It's been a magnet for beggars for years! 

The Greyfriars and Eign Gate underpasses are both in desperate need of some TLC. I took these photographs this evening and as you can see, it is very dark here, half the lights are not working.

The lights that are 'out of order' are numbers 1 (entrance) 4, 5, 8 and 9 (on the exit). 

attachicon.gifGF.jpg

Look how dark the Greyfriars underpass is from Greyfriars end

attachicon.gifGF2.jpg

This underpass is in need of some new bright LED lighting throughout and on both entrances including the pathway leading to the actual underpass. I think the council need to provide a safe environment for residents and this feels far from safe as it stands.

There is no CCTV coverage here either, this needs addressing sooner rather than later.

This would not take much to put right, I mean a few new bright led bulbs and your 75% there.

I agree, this could be easily rectified in less than a few hours. New brighter bulbs is the first thing needed because it is way too dark and not many would feel safe walking under there after the hours of darkness. I like Colin's idea of mirrors angled so that you can see around the corner.  :Thumbs-Up:

Free Radio interviewed me on the telephone this morning about my concerns. 

I followed this up by reporting both of these subways having out of order bulbs and requested additional brighter lighting. I called Herefordshire Council and spoke with Julie on the switchboard who explained that this was either the responsibility of Balfour Beatty or Highways England. I then called and spoke with Paige at Balfour Beatty who took all of the details, she put me on hold and then came back to me explaining that this is not their responsibility but that of Highways England. 

I have now reported this to a gentleman named Chris (Birmingham) who took all of the details and told me that he would pass on this information to their local people to deal with. 

I wouldn't use it in daylight let alone when its dark to many unseen corners for my liking, you could not see anyone lerking there until its to late. We won't get cctv look how long it took on GWW and the council didn't pay for that one, as I have said many time before unless its a 'pet subject' of the council's they are not interested. People's safety is right out of the window.

If your last comment is correct about people's safety being right out of the window, then surely if someone is unfortunate enough to be attacked/injured (or god forbid, worse), then would the council be liable as they have not fulfilled their duty of care to the electorate? Just a thought.

Thanks I will check this out, I am wondering if both Herefordshire Council and City Council have got or should have joint responsibility for these underpasses.

I called Herefordshire Council and Balfour Beatty yesterday see post 15 above. These underpasses are the responsibility of Highways England (formally the Highways Agency) as it goes underneath the A49.

On another note, they played my interview on Free Radio today about these but I missed it. 

If your last comment is correct about people's safety being right out of the window, then surely if someone is unfortunate enough to be attacked/injured (or god forbid, worse), then would the council be liable as they have not fulfilled their duty of care to the electorate? Just a thought.

Daren Loader got murdered in the underpass on Whitecross Road in 2009. I think it would have been dark as it was about 10PM ... I don't recall The Council getting any flak over that area being unsafe. 

_45563965_underpassmurder226.jpg

Daren Loader got murdered in the underpass on Whitecross Road in 2009. I think it would have been dark as it was about 10PM ... I don't recall The Council getting any flak over that area being unsafe. 

_45563965_underpassmurder226.jpg

In fairness I had the very discussion tonight with a local Police Officer who was actually knocking on doors locally handing out the latest newsletter and asking if everything was good, which was great to see I must add.

This particular underpass is nowhere near as dark as the other two in this debate and come under the jurisdiction of Highways England and not the council. I will try and grab some night photographs to show but from memory this underpass is a lot shorter and has a lot better lighting. I also recolect that the attack on this poor lad started on the street and continued in the underpass where he was followed. Original HT article and another article here

This particular underpass is nowhere near as dark as the other two in this debate. I will try and grab some night photographs to show but from memory this underpass is a lot shorter and has a lot better lighting.

While you got yer camera out the bit behind the Sainsbury shop on Barton Road has a creepy under section at night. 

They could use smart lighting too if they thought about it - ones on a sensor that only come on when someone is detected? Probably not as safe as having full LED ones on 24/7, but maybe more cost effective if they were switched to sensing between say midnight and 7am

To be honest LED lighting is so so much cheaper than previous lighting, this is all that is required in my opinion.

I came through the subway near Eign Gate yesterday evening and yes it is dark, paricularly the other side of the road by Steels, it is very dark walking around that curve into the subway, definitely in need of some more brighter lights. 

I came through the subway near Eign Gate yesterday evening and yes it is dark, paricularly the other side of the road by Steels, it is very dark walking around that curve into the subway, definitely in need of some more brighter lights. 

There is a tight corner leaving that subway on town side. I think the biggest risk there is getting hit by a bike. No cycling allowed there as signed!