Hereford Bid Now Have The Glutton!

Colin James

Hereford BID have just taken delivery of this rather nice Glutton Machine to help keep our lovely city clean.

And here is our news..... we now have 'The Glutton'!! This fantastic machine was delivered to us Friday and we have been playing with it and getting to know it's features. It is fast proving itself to be an effective and efficient cleaning system and we look forward to cleaning outside your business soon

glutton2.jpg

glutton1.jpg

glutton.jpg

Photographs courtesy of Hereford BID

The price of these 'Glutton's doesn't immediately jump out of the screen at you but I saw they were on sale in Australia for $30,000 in 2012 which converts to about £13,800. Seems quite a lot for what is a motorised hosepipe that sucks stuff into a wheelie bin inside. 

They have a plethora of add on's which includes a state of the art receptacle for items that are the wrong size or shape to get sucked up the hose.

corbeille_supplementaire_glutton.jpg

I would call that a 'bucket'.   :tongue_32:

The price of these 'Glutton's doesn't immediately jump out of the screen at you but I saw they were on sale in Australia for $30,000 in 2012 which converts to about £13,800. Seems quite a lot for what is a motorised hosepipe that sucks stuff into a wheelie bin inside. 

They have a plethora of add on's which includes a state of the art receptacle for items that are the wrong size or shape to get sucked up the hose.

corbeille_supplementaire_glutton.jpg

I would call that a 'bucket'.   :tongue_32:

Well this is all privately funded as far I as I know and I am not going to start being negative over something like Hereford BID, which can only be looked upon as positive for the city.

Well this is all privately funded as far I as I know and I am not going to start being negative over something like Hereford BID, which can only be looked upon as positive for the city.

I know there's no cost to us as it's private money but it just struck me as being expensive for what it does. Anyhow I hope the funding has stretched to another accessory for the machine.

glaciere-glutton.jpg

Road Sweeper cool box so you can carry your lunch/picnic with you whilst on the move .... 

The BID is funded by the retailers who joined the BID earlier this year to keep high town clean.

The BID is a secondary tax leveled at retailers in the city on top of the already monstrous business rates. The tax was raised and was supposed to increase tourism and business prosperity and so far it's put posters in some empty shop fronts and now appears to be taking on the role of street cleaning. This appears to be an exercise in wasting money. Surely there are much better ways to use the money than to buy a giant hoover for the city - a £10 broom from the J Mart would be just as effective and keep the electric bills down. Just for record a lot of voted against the BID for fear that it would become just an additional fundraiser for the council. Unfortunately this has now become the case. It also appears to be able to expertly waste money just like the council so fantastic.

The BID is a secondary tax leveled at retailers in the city on top of the already monstrous business rates. The tax was raised and was supposed to increase tourism and business prosperity and so far it's put posters in some empty shop fronts and now appears to be taking on the role of street cleaning. This appears to be an exercise in wasting money. Surely there are much better ways to use the money than to buy a giant hoover for the city - a £10 broom from the J Mart would be just as effective and keep the electric bills down. Just for record a lot of voted against the BID for fear that it would become just an additional fundraiser for the council. Unfortunately this has now become the case. It also appears to be able to expertly waste money just like the council so fantastic.

I couldn't agree more. The Council give up on street cleaning hoping that someone will do it for free and hey presto someone does with a machine that probably cost more than my family car cost us! 

What was wrong with this? 

3588934060_94ce6d5022.jpg

It hasn't got a £10,000 mechanical sucker and you have to push it but it works. 

Quite shocked at these comments, a group of retailers are doing something good for the city and all they get is criticised... :Surprised_32:  I tell you what, your damed if you do and you damed if you don't.  :Angry:

Quite shocked at these comments, a group of retailers are doing something good for the city and all they get is criticised... :Surprised_32:  I tell you what, your damed if you do and you damed if you don't.  :Angry:

I agree Bill. Well done to Hereford BID keeping Hereford cleaner than it was previously.  :Happy_32:  :Thumbs-Up:

This is an unnecessary waste of money. I believe you have also missed the point in that why should I pay twice for street cleaning? Is it no longer included in my original business rates? A group of people, retailers, paid their rates and then had to pay again for the same service. Angry .... I was livid.

This is an unnecessary waste of money. I believe you have also missed the point in that why should I pay twice for street cleaning? Is it no longer included in my original business rates? A group of people, retailers, paid their rates and then had to pay again for the same service. Angry .... I was livid.

I kind of agree what you are getting at, knowing someone owns a business in the Bid area and they voted against the bid and yet still have to pay what you call a Secondary tax, Not just retail that have to pay it, all business in the area do unless they are exempt due to the rateable value of the premises being less than £7500 I think. This person I know is just above that threshold.  Not a large business but they are thinking now of moving offices. I don't know what can be done if business refuse to pay the levy it, surly it can't be law to pay it.

I do agree that all the cleaning should be done from the money that the council gets from business rates and council tax, we pay enough of it after all and yet get less every year. 

I also look on the other side, it is nice to see the city centre being cleaned up, and that machine should help and make things easier, the old barrow and broom is out out of date and would take a lot longer to clean up, so someone have to be paid longer to clean up when they could be doing something else.

I still have my doubts about Bid , these organisations normally get the same people on the board year after year making decisions that affect other people and these other people get little say in it, normally the little people.

It is all very well sticking a few posters in empty shops, all that proves is that we got empty shops, but things need sorting, like the cracked paths that the council put in with the lettering  in high town.  Get rid of those stupid posts outside the market hall, awful things, should never have been put up in the first place. i know Bid had nothing to do with them, just thought I point it out that they are awful.

So who is paying for our Christmas Decs this year and are they going to be better than last year?

We will wait and see if this Bid thing makes a difference or is just a waste of time.

Can understand frustration from those who voted againt the BID having to still pay towards it, but they are providing additional street cleansing, not a replacement to what BBLP are doing. Of course many will say BBLP are not doing a good enough job and they may well be right.

The BID have only been in place for 6 months, so proably better judge them further into their 5 year term when more of their publicised initiatives will have come into fruition.

I went to a meeting about the BID when it was being proposed and we were told only the retailers who sign up to the BID pays the extra money, unless it has changed, before everyone starts critisizing them lets wait a while and see what they have improved. You can't win with some people.

http://herefordbid.co.uk/about.html and http://herefordbid.co.uk/area.html gives more of an insight

I went to a meeting about the BID when it was being proposed and we were told only the retailers who sign up to the BID pays the extra money, unless it has changed, before everyone starts critisizing them lets wait a while and see what they have improved. You can't win with some people.

It's not about winning or losing it's about what's just. Unfortunately it's not opt in, it's compulsory - in fact they even pay the council  Â£21.82 for each of the 482 premises eligible for collecting the money so to say the council don't get anything from it is ridiculous they probably clear £8000 easily. It's only for those over a certain size and has no relevance to where your business is in town. So basically a lot of independents and small businesses are very kindly paying to keep the centre of town clean for corporate businesses. Typical Hereford assuring that the corporations are well looked after at the expense of small local traders. In 6 months they have put posters up in 2 shops, spent £1000's on a giant hoover, hopefully have a website promoting Hereford by February and have picked up the slack of the council cleaning contracts.  On a side note i fully understand we are stuck with it for 5 years so it's not about critisizing it's about holding them to account. To make sure they do what they said they would, making sure that they have no excuses and don't spend 5 years continually picking the pockets of the local traders with nothing but an over sized Dyson.

I have just received this tweet from Hereford BID just to clarify the situation for those moaners...

I'll include me in that group  :Happy_32:

I don't think anyone was suggesting The Council forked out for the hoover. Anyhow. We'll see if HB want to answer my question ....

hoover.jpg

£100 fines for dropping litter: Crackdown on rubbish louts in a drive to clean up Britain's streets 

02B3719E0000044D-3258237-image-a-35_1443

Fines are irrelevant in Hereford City Centre now as the sucker machine gets rid of anything in it's path! 

Daily Mail

Good so they should! Hate it when people just throw rubbish on the floor, there is no need for it.

• 1 month later...

The BID is an extortion racket to fund services the Council should be doing anyway.

I agree. Vacant private shop doorways are not technically the Council's problem but they should think of the bigger picture. The situation has a knock on effect to their revenue stream .... 

Yes I have seen this being operated quite often in and around the city centre in fairness. I do not believe 'we' have paid for this as  this funded by Hereford BID.

Colin, might I suggest that this depends on whether "we" includes any business owners who've been shaken down for the BID levy, per mj1's post above.

I think this is connected. The Council want to dig up and replace High Town because it's grubby and doesn't fit in with Widemarsh Street but if they do that are they going to have a sensible maintenance/cleaning regime? Or are we going to throw a load of money at it and then rely on The Glutton? 

• 1 month later...