Herefordshire - Cheapest Beers In UK

Colin James

The cheapest beers in the UK revealed after price of a pint rises 4.3%. Article

More rounds to the pound in Herefordshire - Another good reason to support local pubs.

It’s enough to leave southern beer drinkers frothing - for the price of a pint is 82p dearer than the north.

The brew-ha-ha is revealed today by booze bible The Good Pub Guide which found bargain beer hunters should head for the rural county of Herefordshire where locals pay just £3.10 for a pint.

Old Bridge Hereford.jpg
Herefordshire - one of the quietest English counties

But rip-off prices in London and Berkshire mean drinkers are being hammered by a 20% difference for their favourite tipple, splashing out £3.92, while beer fans in Sussex pay £3.66 and Surrey pub-goers hand over £3.63.

Where is the Mirror getting its prices from? Five years ago? I can't think of any pub in Herefordshire that charges £3.10 a pint or less, apart from Wetherspoons.  When I'm in the city I often like to visit the Lichfield Vaults, which is a very nice pub, but you'll pay a damn sight more than £3.10.

The South East  figures seem well skew whiff as well. I've paid a fiver a pint in West London and Clapham before now. Even less trendy pubs I reckon you're talking four quid or therabouts.

Where is the Mirror getting its prices from? Five years ago? I can't think of any pub in Herefordshire that charges £3.10 a pint or less, apart from Wetherspoons. 

What about The Queens on Broad Street? The board outside seems to advertise very cheap ale prices. But there is a direct correlation between their prices and the type of clients sitting inside.

For what it's worth I paid £3.80 for a pint of draught 'Lawless' lager at The Shack Revolution this afternoon. But they are not setting their prices at a point that would attract the wasters tho. 

What about The Queens on Broad Street? The board outside seems to advertise very cheap ale prices. But there is a direct correlation between their prices and the type of clients sitting inside.

Yeah Roger, I've been there once. Crap beer, crap clientele.  Actually the Black Lion do a pretty decent sub-three pound pint. Did the Mirror visit there when they were conducting their survey though? Somehow I doubt it.

Three pound for a pint of carling at the snooker club in Coningsby St where I go.

Apart from that I usually on drink at home thesedays (occasionally!) as it is affordable to do so then.

That is not beer, that is mass produce muck. :)

Beer in hand sells beer and so does the Barrels, now that is decent beer for a good price.