HEDGEHOGS

Ubique

Some of you will know that Mrs U runs a Hedgehog Rescue from our home in Tillington.

Hollycroft Hedgehog Rescue 01432 769375.

Over the last couple of weeks it has become very apparent that finders of hedgehogs are not sure what to do if they see one out in the day so this is what she would like you to do please.

If you find a small hedgehog, or one lying out in the day.. DON'T IGNORE IT.. IT NEEDS HELP NOW! not tomorrow. ( Hedgehogs do not sunbathe )

Do not leave it to see if it will go away.

Do not stick it under a hedge.

Pick it up, put it in a DEEP box or carrier with towels or an old fleece jumper,

KEEP IT WARM and quiet.

Call a Hedgehog Rescue immediately . Of course if it appears injured please take it to a Vet , there should be no charge and once treated they will pass the 'hog onto a Hedgehog Rescue.

Please do not give it anything to eat until you have spoken to somebody, you can offer it a shallow bowl of water only.

Please remember these hedgehogs DO NOT ALWAYS HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME.

Thanks Ubique the number is noted!

There is a good piece about Hedgehogs in September,s issue of Ledbury Focus and my monies on the the cheeky chappie whose made it to the calender on Countryfile this year. Apart from the obvious problems like strimmers and slug pellets we have in the past sent hogs to the vets with gastro intestinal problems.

There was a hegehog in my garden the other night, it activated the security light it disappeared under a large bush, when I went to look for it it had gone. There is always fresh water in my garden because of the birds, both at low level for them to bathe in and other in their water bottles. I have not seen it since.

There was a hegehog in my garden the other night, it activated the security light it disappeared under a large bush, when I went to look for it it had gone. There is always fresh water in my garden because of the birds, both at low level for them to bathe in and other in their water bottles. I have not seen it since.

That's super , it's good that they have access to water , hopefully they are fattening themselves up ready for winter , Mrs U has 14 hogs at the moment , their weight range is from 80 gms through to over 600gms . She likes to release them at about 650gms, ( 850 gms in Auturm ) .

In fact the heaviest two are being collected on Friday to be released in Longtown , these two were brought in on July 7th. after being found in a Cattle Grid at Longtown . The finder has now made the Cattle Grid hedgehog friendly.

We have Hedgehogs in our garden and I feed them every night they like meal worms crushed peanuts and crushed cat biscuits No bread or milk only water .I have a hedgehog house and last week i went to feed them and found a white rat in there very tame I took him to the RSPCA and they couldn't find the owner so they have now re homed him.

Will pass the number on to my other half - she's the 'hog guardian in our house! We have at least 3 that come round every night foraging, not sure if it's normal or not, but they do like their rich tea biscuits. It's the same ones each year (with the addition of a couple of smaller ones each time) and I am pretty sure they are living under our small shed, so are never in danger. Easily identified as the bigger one has got a big white stripe on it

This little hog , now called Nipper ( because he had teeth and nips ! ) came in on 1st Aug weighing 77gms now weighs in at 150 gms . Mrs U will care for him until he weighs in at about 650 gms ,he will then be passed to a foster carer for release in their hedgehog friendly garden.post-862-0-61514400-1441129238_thumb.jpg

Slim and gdj comments passed on to Mrs U. Thank you .

Slim , at the moment it's all good here - Mrs U hog account is in credit , the finders of hogs have been very generous this year - she also had a donation from our local school PTA . To help funding she is doing a couple of talks to organisations and has had a stall at fetes etc. As an aside she purchased 78 cans of Pedigree Loaf dog food just in August so you can understand that there is a cost implication . But as I said earlier the hog account is in credit .

She may make an appeal for newspaper later in the year.

If anybody with young children would like to visit the setup here and see hedgehogs of all different sizes and mannerisms please phone and it can be arranged .

Re hedgehogs and road planning , believe than hogs come very low down the food chain, adult hogs can cover about 2000m a night. It's good for gardens to have low holes in the fences so that the hog can move around easily.

Excellent Mr and Mrs U excellent reading this and hearing how 2 people are doing something really nice and not expecting any funding from the public.  They are just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  Uplifting and informative.  I am a born and bred country girl but have learnt something through this forum. Thank you Mrs U.

How do you cope with their fleas?

Thank you Denise.

Re fleas - to reassure you and others Hedgehog fleas only stay on hedgehogs - Mrs U uses Johnstones Flea powder for small animals. She puts the hog on a white piece of paper , scatters the powder onto the hog and watch , with pleasure , the fleas drop off the hog - dead . Simple .

• 6 months later...

Thanks Martin for this - we were aware but the publicity is now in the wider world.

Mrs U has been looking after 28 hogs since last September - because of the mild weather only one really hibernated , she hibernated at the end of last September and only woke up 4 days ago . The others have all kept Mrs U busy what with feeding and cleaning them out daily . Hopefully she will be releasing them in different areas of the County in the next four weeks.post-862-0-24806700-1457886586_thumb.jpeg

These are four little orphan hoglets that needing looking after towards the end of last year - all doing fine .