Treacle Mine Pub Closed

Colin James

From the horses mouth:

It is with a heavy heart I want to announce that The Treacle Mine will be put on the market, and is currently closed with immediate effect. 
We have had some great times over the last 5 and a half years, made some great friends, and had some great hangovers, but all good things must come to an end. 
I hope that everyone can understand this was not a decision taken lightly, and although I'm sure the gossip mill will be working overtime, ultimately it really is as simple as it's now the time to take a different path, and try new things.

Thank you to each and every one of you that has supported us. Hopefully you have made some memories here that you can keep close to your heart. Take care.

The place has looked pretty shoddy for a number of years, so no investment eventually the inevitable has happened. Every time I have have gone passed over the last 3-4 years all I ever saw was a mobility scooter outside and a dog in the window, cannot remember seeing much other activity.  

Oh yes, a quick lick of paint and a tidy up and back on the market it goes. I was under the impression Cllr. Rone was going to revamp and re-open how naive of me.

They have put planning in to change the upstairs into flats - so won't be long before a change of use goes in to convert the whole thing I reckon

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yes, a quick lick of paint and a tidy up and back on the market it goes. I was under the impression Cllr. Rone was going to revamp and re-open how naive of me.

An application to vary the licence for the Saracens Head is here

Apparently the refurb has reduced the size of the drinking area inside and they want to formalise the external drinking area outside by the River path.

Premises is owned by Rone Properties LTD.

12002846_1659479617601010_41900316927041

Facebook

Do you think it will remain as a pub ?

It seems to have gone down a more bohemian path with the makeover. I suppose I'd have to look at the food offerings before I could describe it. I don't think 'pub' would be the first word to cross my lips! Maybe bistro ? Open within a couple of weeks apparently .... 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Whilst it is good to see something happening to get the building back in use, another Pizza Hut?  

Is one not enough?

Also, I'm sure it's been thought about already, but where are people going to park?  On the whole, people tend to drive to such places, and I may be mistaken, but the Treacle Mine wasn't actually blessed with a large car parking area was it?