Great Western Way Assault

Aylestone Voice

I see there has been yet another assault on the railway lines overnight. From the HT:

POLICE are investigating reports of an assault on the Great Western Way.

Officers were called at 12.36am this morning to reports of an assault on the river bridge.

A 29-year-old man sustained minor injuries to his lower abdomen during the attack.

His injuries have been treated at A&E at Hereford County Hospital and he has been discharged and is now back at home.

All paths up to the bridge are closed off with police tape and officers are carrying out door to door enquiries in Hunderton.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101.

This is unacceptable, 18 months ago whilst I was a councillor for the Belmont ward I approached the Police Commissioner Mr Longmore as he was giving out money for CCTV cameras to be installed across West Mercia area. It took until last November for me to get the money for the camera installation, I worked with the staff of the city CCTV dept and together we approached Hereford City council for a grant to pay for the first years running costs, in February the grant was awarded. I asked for the camera to be installed on the Hunderton bridge straight away but was told the camera would not be installed until September. I told the council this was not good enough right up to April this year, the people of Hunderton also got up a petition for the camera to be installed,instead there was a fatal stabbing in June and now another stabbing has occured this weekend. If they had installed the camera when I asked them to one young man would not have lost his life, and avoided the other stabbing. How many more people have got to be stabbed before this camera is installed!!!

This is unacceptable, 18 months ago whilst I was a councillor for the Belmont ward I approached the Police Commissioner Mr Longmore as he was giving out money for CCTV cameras to be installed across West Mercia area. It took until last November for me to get the money for the camera installation, I worked with the staff of the city CCTV dept and together we approached Hereford City council for a grant to pay for the first years running costs, in February the grant was awarded. I asked for the camera to be installed on the Hunderton bridge straight away but was told the camera would not be installed until September. I told the council this was not good enough right up to April this year, the people of Hunderton also got up a petition for the camera to be installed,instead there was a fatal stabbing in June and now another stabbing has occured this weekend. If they had installed the camera when I asked them to one young man would not have lost his life, and avoided the other stabbing. How many more people have got to be stabbed before this camera is installed!!!

Sadly I'm not sure the young man would still be alive had one camera of been on the GWW because from my understanding he was attacked from behind somewhere in Hunderton and not on the lines, nevertheless, it may of shed light on who was in the area at the time. So the first camera is to be installed next month, at what location on the GWW Glenda? 

Mick- as I said in my post above,  the Hunderton Bridge, the bridge in the photo above, it is my understanding from the police the young man was stabbed as he came under the bridge, and then again in Hunderton itself.

ragwert- I agree, it was not so long ago the police CSO's were given i-pads to enable them to stay on the beat, and not sit in offices writing out their reports, that said I have not seen either police officers or CSO's walking around for months, but they are not in the South Wye Police station either. They share the police station with the ambulance service now, and you see the paramedics there more than the police. I remember attending the South Wye police station opening possibly in 2003/4 at a cost of I believe £384,000 what a waste of money!

Mick- as I said in my post above,  the Hunderton Bridge, the bridge in the photo above, it is my understanding from the police the young man was stabbed as he came under the bridge, and then again in Hunderton itself.

ragwert- I agree, it was not so long ago the police CSO's were given i-pads to enable them to stay on the beat, and not sit in offices writing out their reports, that said I have not seen either police officers or CSO's walking around for months, but they are not in the South Wye Police station either. They share the police station with the ambulance service now, and you see the paramedics there more than the police. I remember attending the South Wye police station opening possibly in 2003/4 at a cost of I believe £384,000 what a waste of money!

So a camera on the lines would not of seen activity under the bridge? So do you know where they are going to be installing the new CCTV Glenda?

£384,000 ...We the tax payer was robbed

The person stabbed was 29yr old Jamie Taylor

instead there was a fatal stabbing in June and now another stabbing has occured this weekend. If they had installed the camera when I asked them to one young man would not have lost his life, and avoided the other stabbing. How many more people have got to be stabbed before this camera is installed!!!

I don't agree. What a daft statement to make. A single camera is not a panacea to a problem that has been rumbling around for years. The simple fact is that the GWW is dark and lonely place. With a record of crime during darkness. 

Having got the unsolved Murder still on the books I am disappointed the WMP have not got more of a continued darkness presence on the GWW ~ that we are sufficiently aware of. I know that money is tight but you need boots on the ground on a night shift for at least 12 months. Or until the Murderer is caught. A token upping of patrols for a couple of weeks is just a sop.

And CSO's are not out at 12.36 am and have no arrest powers. Or search powers. So propping up the problem with people who don't work the relevant hours with no powers is a non starter in my book. 

A single CCTV camera could act as a deterrent and would also show local activity,it would also need to be HD quality however, more lighting!! and additional police patrols is essential, that said, going back to my tram idea, this could also help illeviating some crime with lots more people and activity, especially if it was 24 hour at the weekends. 

Colin - I have just been interviewed by Free Radio in regards to the CCTV cameras for GWW and my comments as they acknowledged I have been fighting for this to happen for years. I am hoping that now this will encourage the installation of this camera straight away. I mentioned HV and the discussions about the CCTV camera. The interview is on this afternoon on Free Radio frequency 97.6

Colin - I have just been interviewed by Free Radio in regards to the CCTV cameras for GWW and my comments as they acknowledged I have been fighting for this to happen for years. I am hoping that now this will encourage the installation of this camera straight away. I mentioned HV and the discussions about the CCTV camera. The interview is on this afternoon on Free Radio frequency 97.6

CCTV is a MUST along the GWW Glenda. Thanks for the plug, as long as this helps if not we will have to increase he pressure though this Forum, our FaceBook Page and our Members.