Abandoned House In Newton Farm

Colin James

The fact that I am not a councillor anymore doesn't bother me, so there is no sour grapes. Mr Edwards conducted a dirty tricks campaign against me. Which I have no intentions to elaborate on the matter so don't ask, but  sufficient to say he has been caught out in his lies just weeks after the election. I just feel sorry for the people of Newton Farm, they are still coming to me, and I am not in a position to help them at the moment other than pointing them in the right direction and the people to contact, which I am doing. I have told people to contact Mr Edwards and those that have, have come back and told me he has not responded to them. Newton Farm is not an easy ward to look after (I did it for 12 years) and the people do not like being ignored and they will let you know if you annoy them.

Looking in on the council now, what they are doing, and I have been told of the in fighting within groups I am pleased I am not there anymore!.

Afternoon Glenda.

I am in no way a "fan" of Phil Edwards. I do not know the man, so have no strong feelings - either way - about him.

My very simple point, which you spectacularly seem to be missing is ....when you and others have been unable to resolve an issue for SIX years, surely it is unfair to expect Cllr Edwards - or anybody else for that matter - to be able to fix it in a matter of days.

I honestly don't think I can state this point in any fewer syllables.

This is not a personal criticism, Glenda.... which is how you appear to have taken my comments, it's stating the facts.

Sent the story to the Hereford Times - think that Bill Tanner is leaving the paper but hopefully another Reporter will pick up the story .

Well that be a very sad day if BT leaves HT - judging by the standard of the rest of the reporting we can kiss goodbye to the very searching reporting that BT has got such a name for.  Sorry off topic once again!

Dippy - If you read my posts nowhere in them did I put a timescale as to when or not Mr Edwards should respond to the tenant, she did not want to go to him I suggested she did as he is her councillor. what I did suggest if she got no joy from him is to join the Newton Brook residents association for Newton Farm and it would be taken up on her behalf.

Ubique - I would go to the press but cannot do that without the tenants permission, and if I got that I would of gone to BT, I hope it isn't right about him leaving, I have known and worked along side of him for many years, in my opinion if he goes it will be the end of the HT.

It was post number six, July 31st...so just two days ago.... where you stated.

"Having got in touch with the tenant living next door to this house, this evening"

And then followed on with....

"I have now given the tenant the phone number of Cllr Edwards, and asked her to keep me informed as to the outcome. If nothing is done, this will be one of many issues that will be taken up when The Residents Association for Newton Farm, is launched in a few weeks time".

Then, post number 19, which was only yesterday, you said...

"I asked the tenant to let me know the outcome from contacting Phil Edwards. She has not come back to me, so I take that to be he has not responded to her request for help."

This is what gave me the impression that you felt the problem should  be dealt with by Cllr Edwards in a couple of days/ weeks.

Dippy - then your impression was wrong wasn't it. This is not about me! This is gone totally off subject the state of this property and the tenant is living with this day in day out and I am still concerned about the effect its having on this family, all I want is this to be resolved for them. Just because I am no longer her councillor it doesn't mean I don't care, and if there is some way I can get this resolved for her I will. That is why I am starting up the resident association to continue to help the residents of Newton Farm that come to me. The RA will be run properly fully constituted and has the backing of the police and other organisations.

Sent the story to the Hereford Times - think that Bill Tanner is leaving the paper but hopefully another Reporter will pick up the story .

I think the story is obviously newsworthy. Hopefully the paper will run with it instead of spinning out a non existent story based on a 140 character tweet pumped out on Twitter by the Fire Service ....

Glenda, given the words that you yourself have typed, I don't think I'm alone in forming this impression.

Perhaps you need to select the words you use, with a little more care?

I'm quite happy to hold up my hands if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Sadly, councillors - and ex councillors -  seem to find admitting they may have made an error, is virtually impossible.

Lapping up praise, kind words and compliments, yet turn decidedly prickly, when any action, word or deed is questioned.

It's the same right across the board. I'm no longer surprised by it.

Dippy , I have to agree with your post 40 - I do not think that Glenda will accept responsibility for not following through the complaint to the end - she passed the complaint to the relevant Dept. in the Council and moved on . Now it's all about " attacking " the present Cllr - who if he walked into the Commercial I would not know him so I have no axe to grind either way .

The RA will be run properly fully constituted and has the backing of the police and other organisations.

I can't see how you can back an organisation before it has been formed. I suppose you can nod approvingly at the concept of a good idea tho. Any recognisable names of any people who are backing this RA and their role?

It is not the case of not accepting responsibility for not following it through to the end, I followed it through until May this year, then I was no longer the councillor, if I was I would still be working with the tenant and neighbours. I did not just pass it to the officers and department and walked away I had never done that in the 12 years of being a councillor I had and still have a reputation of not letting the matter go until I got the result I wanted . The fact that you have misinterpreted my coments is not my problem. I always speak my mind and always will please or offend, you know where you are with me. I also have no intention of  starting a "war of words" with anyone. just to clarify I have always admitted if I am wrong, and very rarely got praised for what I have achieved but I did not as a councillor or since look for any acolade or praise from anyone thats not my way. I believe this conversation has run its course. As i said in a previous post This is not about me!

And the fact that you chose to post misleading comments which seemed to shoot yourself in the foot, is not MY problem.

You would do well to revisit several threads Glenda. I could go on, but to be honest, I really can't be bothered.

Politicians eh?

All the bloody same.

you forget I AM NO LONGER A POLITICIAN! and pleased that I'm not!

I dunno what point you are trying to make here Glenda. Dippy has obviously not forgotten about the recent May Elections. You are just digging yourself a bigger hole with every post ..... 

Okay okay, can we get back to the topic in hand rather than play bat and ball with Glenda and Cllr Edwards, they clearly do not get on.

So can someone please clarify because I am a little confused, the house was left in a will to a young lady who lived there for a while then just abandoned it? Why would you not sell it and have at least £100k? Even in its current state it would fetch £80k +. Can the council not force action against the owner or force a sale?

So can someone please clarify because I am a little confused, the house was left in a will to a young lady who lived there for a while then just abandoned it? Why would you not sell it and have at least £100k? Even in its current state it would fetch £80k +. Can the council not force action against the owner or force a sale?

I was thinking the same thing, surely this can be resolved for the sake of the immediate people living either side. If any of these people own their property this eyesore next door must have had an impact on the value of their homes?

M Preece - that was what the enforcement team was for to force action it had been empty for the first nine years without knowing where the girl had gone, then it was brought to my attention. I cannot understand why she did not sell it, but for some reason she didn't. From what I was told for some reason they could not force a sale or reposses it.

Mick - There are 4 houses that are homeowners facing the back of this property, and they did attempt to clear the garden at one point but one of the neighbours got hurt, and as it was not their property they could not claim for injuries sustained. The tenant lives on the end, then thie house in question and a private house next door which was up for sale, I was surprised to find that someone bought the house for sale whether the people lost any money from the sale I don't know.

Well that be a very sad day if BT leaves HT - judging by the standard of the rest of the reporting we can kiss goodbye to the very searching reporting that BT has got such a name for.  Sorry off topic once again!

I do like Bill Tanner looking into things, and posting, but he has got a tendency to write really long articles which do test my attention span to be honest. And when there's an update on a story he posts a new story which then merges into the original story that makes it twice as long. Just a fact from my point of view as a reader. 

Wow!  It's all kicked off on here, hasn't it?  Friday afternoon...  No comments.  Now, 50+  Wowsers.

I have no intention of doing any finger-pointing at anyone specifically, buuuuttt....

If this house has been empty for fifteen years, that's fifteen years!!  Surely all those who have involved in attempting to sort this issue out are just a little guilty of glaring inaction.

Phil Edwards may be the area councillor now, but has only been in the job since May, as others have pointed out, nobody seems to have sorted this out in the previous 14 1/2 years, so to expect him to have got it don in 2 months is a little bit unfair.

Wow!  It's all kicked off on here, hasn't it?  Friday afternoon...  No comments.  Now, 50+  Wowsers.

I have no intention of doing any finger-pointing at anyone specifically, buuuuttt....

If this house has been empty for fifteen years, that's fifteen years!!  Surely all those who have involved in attempting to sort this issue out are just a little guilty of glaring inaction.

Phil Edwards may be the area councillor now, but has only been in the job since May, as others have pointed out, nobody seems to have sorted this out in the previous 14 1/2 years, so to expect him to have got it don in 2 months is a little bit unfair.

I really think we need to move on from this brownie point winning exercise and blame business, (I am sure everybody did their best) and look forward as to what can be done now. 

OK.

The Council does have powers to require a property the be kept tidy. A notice can be served requiring the garden etc. to be cleared and if the owner does not do it they can be taken to court or the Council can clear it up themselves and charge the owner.

The Council also have powers to compulsorily purchase a property if there is a problem with it. They have done this elsewhere when properties have been left empty for many years. This does take a long time though.

What is missing from this thread is something definitive about what if anything the Council has done or is doing. As is often the case on many threads on the internet is that people stamp their feet and shout and expect things to be done without seeking the answers from the right place - in this case the Shire Hall.

If it was in my street I would have such answers

Good Morning , you must have been living in an igloo over the weekend !

All Dippy and others have been trying to do is ascertain what HAS BEEN DONE over the last 15 years to sort this house out . All we appear to be getting is political answers , say a lot but still leave many questions to be answered . Similar to when Blair said follow me to the promised land and I will make the world a safer place !

Plus of course it has become very apparent that the previous Ward Cllr does not like the present Ward Cllr who received the majority number of votes in May from the residents - why they voted him in or Glenda out is not known to me , nor am I really interested.

Well we are where we are so lets stick to the topic in hand, the only person at fault in my opinion here is the home owner, who has left this problem for everyone else to sort out! I think the place should be cleaned up and the invoice sent to her.

OK.

The Council does have powers to require a property the be kept tidy. A notice can be served requiring the garden etc. to be cleared and if the owner does not do it they can be taken to court or the Council can clear it up themselves and charge the owner.
The Council also have powers to compulsorily purchase a property if there is a problem with it. They have done this elsewhere when properties have been left empty for many years. This does take a long time though.
What is missing from this thread is something definitive about what if anything the Council has done or is doing. As is often the case on many threads on the internet is that people stamp their feet and shout and expect things to be done without seeking the answers from the right place - in this case the Shire Hall.
If it was in my street I would have such answers

I also agree with Aylestone Voice's last post.

Quote: see post 32, The fact that I am not a councillor anymore doesn't bother me, there is no sour grapes. Looking in on the council now,what they are doing , and I have been told of the infighting within groups I am pleased I am not there anymore.

I will add: I had told the Independent leader that this was to be my last term of office if I had been returned. I want my life back and to enjoy my retirement from my political career.

Sorry Colin, about going off subject of the original post.

Ubique - My point was that it seemed to me that the ex-councillor had not told us anything definitive -  just protecting her reputation.

There must be someone at the Council who knows about this case and why it is unresolved. Someone needs to ask a Council officer. They are very unlikely to either see this site and would be very unlikely to reply on here in any event. As I said if it was in my street I would be e-mailing the right Council Officer (easy to do) and take it from there.