Traveller invasion thwarted

ragwert

Travellers moved onto Widemarsh common this afternoon causing traffic chaos...But not for long  :Grin: 
They were soon spotted by Keith and mates from the lads club and with support from the police they were booted off.
Police were keeping an eye out whilst Keith & Mark repaired the fence which was damaged.

post-918-0-15199900-1436029391_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-84426800-1436029391_thumb.jpg

By law, the police have the power to direct you to leave and remove your vehicles if:

there are two or more people trespassing on the land

the landowner has taken reasonable steps to ask you to leave

When the landowner is the council or any other public authority, it must consider your human rights and other welfare considerations such as your children's education, before it decides to ask you to leave.

A senior police officer must be present, and reasonably believe that:

there are six or more vehicles parked on the land, or

you or another trespasser has caused damage or behaved in a threatening, abusive or insulting manner

A senior police officer is someone above the rank of constable.

The police can also move you on if there are two or more people trespassing on the land with one or more vehicle and there is a suitable alternative site available.

The police can't move you on if you have permission to be on the land.

I totally agree with the outcome as I don't agree with just anti-socially plonking yer caravan in these circumstances. But how is trespass a Police matter?

Section 61 - 62 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994. Believe it's well known and well used by your former colleagues, for travellers and raves, ever since. Just saying...

By law, the police have the power to direct you to leave and remove your vehicles if:

Yeah .... I get the concept and have a grasp of the rules. The Widemarsh Common incursion seems to have been a small one for a very short period of time. But some damage was caused apparently so was this just accepted by the owner? 

I think in practice this 1994 rule stuff is not going to be used for a small group of travellers causing a trespass for a short period of time. Just too much aggro. And best of luck tracing the person who actually caused the damage getting in! 

I think in practice this 1994 rule stuff is not going to be used for a small group of travellers causing a trespass for a short period of time. Just too much aggro.

In fairness, it is used to good effect - especially where the incursion is onto private land and the incursion is passively resisted by a landowner who is PRESENT. Where is gets tardy is where it's publicly owned land - like a Council car park - and all those Human Rights, Welfare & Education issues kick in. This is the bit that causes frustration - no Council Officer presence at scene, other than Cllr Chris Chappell or similar with the bottle to knock on a few doors to discuss the mess etc.

I think in practice this 1994 rule stuff is not going to be used for a small group of travellers causing a trespass for a short period of time. Just too much aggro.

In fairness, it is used to good effect - especially where the incursion is onto private land and the incursion is passively resisted by a landowner who is PRESENT. Where is gets tardy is where it's publicly owned land - like a Council car park - and all those Human Rights, Welfare & Education issues kick in. This is the bit that causes frustration - no Council Officer presence at scene, other than Cllr Chris Chappell or similar with the bottle to knock on a few doors to discuss the mess etc.

Widemarsh common is leased to Hereford lads club I think for £1 a year

It is a Council owned space Wiki Simple trespass is hardly a Police matter in that short space of time. Other than to detect any criminal fallout (damage) from the incursion. Is the Council accepting this damage? Or complaining about it? 

It is a Council owned space Wiki Simple trespass is hardly a Police matter in that short space of time. Other than to detect any criminal fallout (damage) from the incursion. Is the Council accepting this damage? Or complaining about it? 

As I know all repairs were carried out by the council before it was leased to the lads club like the road resurfaced and repairs to the wooden fence.I think it is up to

the lads club to make repairs