Murder In Hereford

Colin James

About time, I always use the lines to clear my head and save £20 on BFH, after a night out. Always been wary and never had my hands in pockets! I'm now getting ear ache from the boss, quite rightly so, as Camelot always keep saying "it could be you". I have someone else who depends on me now.....

I would like to add my condolences, but also that this is probably a case of known attacker or argument gone horribly wrong, as in the case of the late Mr loader.

CCTV will not prevent incidents but it will make people feel safer and provide evidence for swift justice.

I may be wrong, but to me this seems unlikely to have been a random attack, and far more likely to have been a disagreement that escalated out of control leading to the awful conclusion that we are now all reading and talking about.

Too few facts have appeared (in the open) to form any opinion re ruling out a 'random' spontaneous event. Other than the wounds in the back that you wouldn't expect after a confrontation in a street robbery. Mr. Bagley's routines and any potential friction with other people will emerge by talking to people who knew him, looking at his internet usage, and looking at his phone for starters. Why didn't he have his phone with him? When was it last talking to a phone mast? And which one? 

Too few facts have appeared (in the open) to form any opinion re ruling out a 'random' spontaneous event. Other than the wounds in the back that you wouldn't expect after a confrontation in a street robbery. Mr. Bagley's routines and any potential friction with other people will emerge by talking to people who knew him, looking at his internet usage, and looking at his phone for starters. Why didn't he have his phone with him? When was it last talking to a phone mast? And which one? 

I think the fact that he was stabbed in the back looks like his attacker was following him and stabbed him from behind.

I also think he knew his attacker

For me, I don't think we should be making assumptions about what happened or seeking in some obscure way to blame the lack of CCTV for it. But then speculation and blaming someone else appears to be Hereford's stock in trade.

Someone lost their life in a very unpleasant way and were alone when it happened

What is vitally important is that the culprit is found and prosecuted

HT has updated this.

The police say that at this time, there is no motive and no suspect.

His family and friends must be struggling to comprehend this senseless and brutal attack. My heart goes out to them.

(Victor, I don't think speculating about possible related issues  is particularly helpful, or appropriate, given the tragic circumstances. Post 12.)

This is what I am being told here locally, this by no means condones this horrific murder. He is a young father, nobody deserves to be murdered and I hope they catch this person soon. 

Yeah ... I saw your post. I posted the petition link as the attached comments on it are quite revealing. No one appears to feel safe using that area. The cops counter the situation by usually trotting out the tired old crap that Hereford is ordinarily a safe place to live and work in ~ with a low crime rate. I don't generally disagree with the cold hard stats. However the perception of crime happening is off the scale. Which seems to fly over their heads completely. 

This tram idea would make people feel more safe along this GWW, the overgrown bushes and tree's do not help either, I think Colin has mentioned that these need cutting back in one of the topics previously and I completely agree, it would be easy for an attacker to hide in the shadows.

In the post about locality manager report of works to be or have been done on GWW there are trees that have died and are coming down also with the new development at the Oval there will be houses bordering on the GWW so more people around, and lights from these properties will be on, making the GWW  more light. In regard to the tram if Herefordshire council was interested they would of gone with Mr Heinz offer all those years ago but they didn't. In my oppinion (others may disagree with me) but unless the idea comes from the council they are not interested!

In the post about locality manager report of works to be or have been done on GWW there are trees that have died and are coming down also with the new development at the Oval there will be houses bordering on the GWW so more people around, and lights from these properties will be on, making the GWW  more light. In regard to the tram if Herefordshire council was interested they would of gone with Mr Heinz offer all those years ago but they didn't. In my oppinion (others may disagree with me) but unless the idea comes from the council they are not interested!

There were large tall flats there before and the light coming from these made hardly any difference Glenda, so I fail to see how the new houses (which will be lower to the ground) will give off more light? On the contrary, I think they will give off a lot less light onto the GWW.

What is needed is ADDITIONAL LIGHTING along the whole of the GWW from one end to the other with CCTV and additional Police patrols 24/7.

Getting back to the topic, I see that the Police have no motive or suspect yet for this murder which is quite worrying.

Hi

I too add my condolences to the families concerned, I do not wish to enter a debate as to how or what happened, I will leave that to this emote qualified than me.

A point has been made re the lighting etc on the GWW, whilst having no great knowledge of crime and crime prevention I hold the view that better lighting offers greater safety, however sitting on the steering committee for the cycle way from Eign Road to Rotherwas I as a parish council rep pleaded for good lighting along the length of the cycle way, possibly of solar type, this was to my dismay talked down by the council and police as it would attract and encourage youths to meet up and be a possible nuisance! I have to say I told the reps of the Police & Council that I had never heard such a load of rubbish.

Again it possibly is as Glendale says , if the council don't think of it themselves then they won't do it

Pete

Man arrested in connection with Hereford murder investigation

Police have today (Wednesday 24th June) arrested a local man in connection with the murder of Christian Bagley on Sunday evening (21st June).

The 29-year-old has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody.

Issued: Wednesday 24th June, 17:55pm, Natasha Kaur, Corporate Communications

West Mercia Police

With regard to the lighting issues on 'the lines' I would suggest those lamp-posts in the photo are pretty close together. For that section. 

Roger, the lamps may look pretty close but you need to walk long this route when its dark, only then will you appreciate how dark it actually is. With all the trees and bushes and no other form of light from cars or house it really is a spooky place at night. HD CCTV along here is a MUST! 

Roger, the lamps may look pretty close but you need to walk long this route when its dark, only then will you appreciate how dark it actually is. With all the trees and bushes and no other form of light from cars or house it really is a spooky place at night. 

I've been there and done that one. It's an isolated footpath and there's no getting away from that. The current CCTV funding is propped up by the Police (link) in a three year deal and their funding is due another slash in the next budget. 

Whilst CCTV and better lighting may be a good idea I wonder how much of the natural vegetation would have to be removed for it all to work efficiently.

I do not think that everywhere the public go can be covered by CCTV

I don't believe that the CCTV is monitored so it would be a case of watching the tapes after the event. In this case the police appear to have caught the culprit anyway

Sadly off topic - apologies

I think we are wandering off topic slightly here, the whys and wherefores of lighting and CCTV, although an important issue, are not the main issue here.

That is the tragic death of a young man, in horrific circumstances.

There is a pretty insensitive and sensationalist report on the Hereford Times at the moment that has sunk, in my opinion to the levels of the gutter journalism.  I urge all of you to register your dissatisfaction and call for its removal and an apology in its place.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/13353777.Hereford_murder_probe_latest__Bloody_hand_print_hints_at_the_horror_of_victim_s_last_minutes/

There is a pretty insensitive and sensationalist report on the Hereford Times at the moment that has sunk, in my opinion to the levels of the gutter journalism.  I urge all of you to register your dissatisfaction and call for its removal and an apology in its place.

Yeah. Disgusting piece. The very sensational and insensitive photo has even been published oversized which makes it even worse. I'm surprised the piece and photo are still on the website. 

having just read all the comments on HT website about this young man, I totally agree with the posters comments, it is bad enough this has happened without  knowing  about his last minutes  on this earth, and think of his family feelings, they are devistated they don't need to know this. I will also add that in my opinion this story should never have apeared on HV there are some stories that should never be put on here and this is one of them. My condolences goes out to Christian family.

This is topic about something terrible that has happened in our community, of course it should be discussed on HV. The police get a lot of information from social media, so I see nothing wrong with his being discussed on this forum in all honesty.

Absolutely this needed to be reported and discussed on HV, the last murders in Hereford were, this one is no different, in fact, the unfortunate victim is local to us and part of our community. I hope they have the culprit and Christians family at least have some sort of closure, then they can lay him to rest. A very difficult time for them.

Whilst CCTV and better lighting may be a good idea I wonder how much of the natural vegetation would have to be removed for it all to work efficiently.

I do not think that everywhere the public go can be covered by CCTV

I don't believe that the CCTV is monitored so it would be a case of watching the tapes after the event. In this case the police appear to have caught the culprit anyway

Sadly off topic - apologies

A friends brother works in the CCTV room in Hereford and I can confirm that these camera's are indeed monitored, maybe not constantly but they do flick between the various locations and monitor the cameras along with other people and they are always in touch with the police to report incidents etc. so having CCTV camera's along the entire length on the GWW is vey much needed in my opinion. HD CCTV with infrared technology is the best option. 

Dippy, this is the e-mail I received from Clive Joyce the editor at the HT:

Thank you for your email regarding the article on our website.

Following our discussions with the senior investigating officer on this case, we have already described the stabbing incident in some detail, in both our print edition and on our website.

We have used images of the murder scene, images of police searching the area and a photograph of the victim.

During our coverage, we have explained Mr Bagley’s harrowing last  moments as told to us by the senior investigating police officer, and indeed clarified with him that these details were important to be made public as the police hoped they would prompt someone to come forward to assist their investigation.

The image of blood on the wall at Rogers Avenue – which I would point out is in  a public place and can be seen by any member of the public at any time - was following up the description we had already reported.  Before publication, we checked with the police to see if they had any issue with us publishing this image in terms of possibly compromising their investigations, and they had no problem with us publishing it.

I realise that this is a distressing time for Mr Bagley’s family. We had contact with them earlier this week, but I think it is important to say that they have not contacted us with any observations about our coverage at this point in time.

If they do so, we would, of course, seriously consider any comments they wish to make with regard to past or future coverage.

At present (16:40 on Friday 26/06/2015) there are 45 comments, every one saying that the story and image is inappropriate and should be removed.

Sensitivity at the Hereford Times?  No thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to do that Clarkester, and posting the response from Mr Joyce.

(As a poster at HT wryly commented.....  the family of this young man have other things on their minds at present.)

In years to come, perhaps when his young daughter is older, that image will still be floating around on the internet. How distressing will that be?

There is no doubt, HT have over stepped the mark.

Thanks for sharing the email reply Clarkester. The publishing of the photo is not illegal and will obviously not compromise any investigation. But it's gratuitous, insensitive and unnecessary. In fact the 'hand print' story itself adds nothing new when a previous story dealt with the 'harrowing last moments' of the victim. It's just stirring the pot again and it leaves me with the impression the HT is just trying to generate more clicks and more revenue from those annoying ads that float about on it's site. Mr. Joyce should take note of the 45 reader comments ~ none of which agrees with him.