Lucy Hurds Sign & Election Rules

Colin James

I was under the impression that candidates have rules to abide by when campaigning and from my understanding one of those strict rules is that you cannot put up your signage within a certain distance of a Polling Station, well, I think this sign of Lucy Hurds is pretty close don't you think? 

Lucy-Hurds.png

Blimey.

Not much chance of missing that on your way to the ballot box is there???

I'm sure another poster has queried the placement of signs..... (perhaps relating to Phil Edwards??) .... on another thread.

So, yes Colin, this perhaps does need clarifying.

You are not allowed to put signs up near polling stations, nor as one councillor did in 2007 turn up at the polling station on a bike with their name strapped to both wheels, the councillor was told to go away and take the bike with them. so they canvassed in Tesco car park instead from their car. another went to the polling station with photo of themselves in the rear window again they were told to remove the photo. In 2011 a candidate was asking people who they were voting for telling people he was a teller, but I recognised him he was the candidate for  the opposition  and he was told to leave the polling station in Hunderton. There are strict rules but people flaunt them.

Northamptonshire County Council have produced this Election Related Fly-posting Policy. Wouldn't know if HC have such a policy.

Northamptonshire County Council recognises that most candidates and parties will want to display campaign material relating to an upcoming election or referendum. Any parties and candidates wishing to do so should take account of the most up-to-date guidance from the Electoral Commission. Current Electoral Commission Guidance states that election related material:

must:

i) be removed within 14 calendar days after the election; and

must not:

ii) be displayed without the permission of the owner of the site;

iii) interfere with or impede traffic or other road users.

It is important that the Authority remains impartial during elections and referenda. For this reason, the Authority will not give candidates and parties permission to display their campaign material on land or buildings owned by the Authority.

must not:

ii) be displayed without the permission of the owner of the site;

Cllr. Phil Edwards from my understanding, I fail to see how he got permission to put a sign on the Oval Toilets from this topic because the Council have been trying to trace the owner for some time. So this needs checking perhaps...

Morning Colin!

Joking aside about the position of this sign, it could well have been placed there by an enthusiastic supporter.

That said, if it has Phil Edwards name on it, I guess he has to take the ultimate responsibility for where it is placed. Ditto Lucy Hurds.

After all, surely all councillors/prospective councillors should be aware of the rule surrounding this??

If they can't get to grips with this sort of thing pre-election, it doesn't instil much confidence that they will be able to get to grips with the issues they'll be facing post election.

Morning Colin!

Joking aside about the position of this sign, it could well have been placed there by an enthusiastic supporter.

That said, if it has Phil Edwards name on it, I guess he has to take the ultimate responsibility for where it is placed. Ditto Lucy Hurds.

After all, surely all councillors/prospective councillors should be aware of the rule surrounding this??

If they can't get to grips with this sort of thing pre-election, it doesn't instil much confidence that they will be able to get to grips with the issues they'll be facing post election.

There are VERY STRICT RULES for elections. I cannot see how Phil Edwards managed to get permission for the Oval loo's because they cannot find the owner! He was seen putting the sign up with his ladder, no excuses there.

Hi all, 

I am with the Herefordshire Liberal Democrats and I have had this topic brought to my attention so I will state the following:

A) This Stakeboard (like all our Stakeboards) is on Private Property.

B) We have consent for this Stakeboard to be there (again, like all our Stakeboards).

C) We are happy to move it, and will be doing so, before the morning of the 7th when it becomes a Polling station.

I hope this clears up this up for you.

David.

Morning Colin!

Good morning dippy, I think he actually put the sign up at the Oval, unless I have been misinformed.

Okay, lets get back to Lucy Hurds and this debate.

Hi all, 

I am with the Herefordshire Liberal Democrats and I have had this topic brought to my attention so I will state the following:

B) We have consent for this Stakeboard to be there (again, like all our Stakeboards).

C) We are happy to move it, and will be doing so, before the morning of the 7th when it becomes a Polling station.

David.

Welcome to HV David and thank you for clarifying things, personally I share the view and think its unfair but hey ho, we will wait for all the other candidates to rush there now with all of their stateboards.   :Thumbs-Down:

Hi all,

Dippy - Yes it is not a polling station atm, so it is fine there and yes I am the Central ward candidate.

Paul - We ask for permission of the land owners and they said we could place it there. If they want to let other candidates post there they can, but other candidates must ask for permission as it is illegal to place stakeboards on people land without their permission.

Victor - yes we are sure

David

Hi all,

Dippy - Yes it is not a polling station atm, so it is fine there and yes I am the Central ward candidate.

Paul - We ask for permission of the land owners and they said we could place it there. If they want to let other candidates post there they can, but other candidates must ask for permission as it is illegal to place stakeboards on people land without their permission.

Victor - yes we are sure

David

Thank you for responding it is appreciated and good luck in the election.

Hi all, 

David.

Good morning David and a warm welcome to HV. Thank you for the clarification, I was misinformed by the sound of things but a debate worth a brief discussion at least. Good luck in your campaign and for the up and coming elections. The more councillors and candidates we have talking, the better, so I hope to see you online regular.  :Happy_32:

Welcome David .... Glad to hear your input .... But there is no clear link yet posted to this rule about these Candidate adverts .... How close can they be and what is the timescale they are allowed? 

I think what David is saying is that there is no limit to any distance of a polling station as to where stakeboards can be placed (as long as permission from the land owners is given) but they have to be removed BEFOE polling day.