Legal Action!!

Colin James

Stand your ground Colin.

What you have given is your opinion, based on your previous experience of dealings with this Cllr.

This is a brilliant forum, where free speech reigns. You moderate it superbly.

I would have far more respect for somebody who had the decency to make a complaint in person, than issue legal threats.

Oh dear, an elected official would not being doing themselves any favours threatening to take legal action against one of their constituents? Surely you are mistaken Colin?

You are right, he will not be doing himself any favours, but I have known Colin for a long time and this will just be water off a ducks back to him, he has been running several websites for many years, not just this one, so I would love to know how can someone can possibly take legal action over someones opinion on a forum? What is a judge going to tell him? He cannot have an opinion? This is a laugh, surely?

If this is correct, then as the administrator of Hereford Voice, I look forward to receiving your letters Mr Edwards,  :Grin:  :Grin:  :Grin:  :Grin:  :Grin:  :Grin:  

If the standard of literacy displayed in his campaign leaflet is anything to go by, you might be waiting a long time.

What the hell's an "unbstantiated website" - one that has a kind of ghostly floating existence somewhere up in the ether?

He will get nowhere because everyone is entitled to their opinion especially when the statements made are true. He will end up embarrassing himself and the party that he represents, tbh he is doing that now, I cannot believe that he is actually going up against another councillor in the same ward, whats that all about, they risk losing both!  :Hmm:

I have the utmost respect for all of those councillors who are active and communicating to their constants through HV and social media, such as Chris Chappell, Robert Preece, Glenda Powell, Adrian Bridges, Jim Kenyon, Jon Norris, Ken Baynham, and Mark Hubbard to name just a few that I have seen contributing and advising members. So are more active than others, nevertheless, its good to see that these councillors are in the 21st century. 

I overheard Cllr Edwards slagging off HV some years back, he was talking to someone else at the time and I think he under estimated how big this website would become. People do not want a edited letters page, they want live interactive discussions and this is exactly the vehicle that Colin has provided with HV. Keep up the great work and do not be intimadated or bullied with threats of so called legal action, if someone want to waste their money let them carry on, unless of course they expect to be funded, that will be the next thing.

What Phil Edwards does not seem to comprehend is that local people are not working class stupid individuals which his election manifest i.e leaflet put through doors implies. Running down certain websites stating he will attend every meeting. This website is for people to air there views on what is happening in there community. The work in running this website is an amazing task and i applaud Colin for doing that ,regards taking legal action against Colin you will have to take legal action against everyone on this site.The type of person i have respect for are someone standing for election and using this site to interact with the community , if you want to be in a position of civil authority then you have to take the good with the bad. You run down other political opponents behind there backs and then say no i did not say that. People are wondering Phil how can we trust you when the Vortex land which had a value of £26,000 was given to Hereford housing for nothing is there some dodgy dealings going on that we should know about, that is what i will be looking at when i come to vote. i will be voting for someone i can trust and you do not fit the bill.

This is my take on things. First and foremost I'd say to Phil that rather than be hurt and angry, take a step back, and take the 'mickey taking' in the right way. Laugh it off, take it as a compliment that you are important enough to be the target of these quips and don't take it personal.

It's really not personal. I'm in no position to know whether or not you are a good Councillor, a bad one or one of mediocrity. I don't know you and its likely I never will but, because you've achieved high office, because you've placed yourself in the public eye, as far as I'm concerned, if I find something mildly amusing that I can relate to you or any other elected official you become my target. Spiteful, cowardly and shameful? I hope not. I sincerely hope I'm none of those things but the reality nowadays is that you and your colleagues are fair game. Perhaps its harsh but this is the way of things now the people no longer bow their heads in reverence to those we elect to represent us.

Think on this Phil. Your electoral boundaries are changed which puts you in direct conflict with Glenda Vaughan Powell. One of you had to go if an Independent was going to win and retain a hold on the Ward. Your opponent is the incumbent, she's given many years of her life to her job, she's not attained the High Office you've reached and yet, despite all these things, you've decided to go against her because of past political bickerings and differences. You could have and should have stepped aside but you've chosen not to probably believing that it'd be extremely difficult for you to win but at the same time you can win enough votes to ensure Glenda Vaughan Powell loses as well.

I don't see any honour in that Phil. In fact, it seems to me that if I am in anyway wrong for ridiculing you, you are no better than I am. You've gotta grasp that if you pop a sign up on the old Newton Farm bogs, if there's a fool out there like me, you are going to get teased. If you happen to have red rosy cheeks and you are of a similar appearance to the infamous Widow Twanky you are going to get teased. You are going to get teased because its funny, you are seeking an elected office, and I make no apology for teasing you. It's simply the way of things, the new reality of social media and there is nothing wrong in giving politicians a bit of stick.

Mind, if I've hurt you and you've genuinely not taken the teasing well and it's upset your family life then for that I am sorry. It's not my intention to be hurtful. It's my intention to mock you because you are a public figure and you want my vote.

Now, please, reflect upon my words, recognise that you do look like Widow Twanky, your sign above the old bogs was a stupid place to advertise your desire to win an election, be cognisant that there is humour beneath it all and stop attacking Colin James and Hereford Voice simply because you want to shut me and others up.

I wish you well. I hope you lose and I hope that my words make you realise that to be teased, albeit its unwanted, is a sort of backhanded compliment and you should stop being precious about all of these silly quips that have you stood on a stage playing Widow Twanky as five hundred children shout, 'he's behind you'.

My very warmest regards to you Phil.

He is obviously miffed at all this mickey taking and I would imagine does not like being called a liar, but hey! I do not believe for one minute he has never told lies and from my understanding he offered sweeteners and failed to deliver, so sorry councillor, you just have to take the flack on the chin and I completely agree with bobby47's comments. He will be an even bigger pantomime fool if there is any truth to this legal action crap, get a life man! 

What Phil Edwards does not seem to comprehend is that local people are not working class stupid individuals which his election manifest i.e leaflet put through doors implies. Running down certain websites stating he will attend every meeting. This website is for people to air there views on what is happening in there community. The work in running this website is an amazing task and i applaud Colin for doing that ,regards taking legal action against Colin you will have to take legal action against everyone on this site.The type of person i have respect for are someone standing for election and using this site to interact with the community , if you want to be in a position of civil authority then you have to take the good with the bad. You run down other political opponents behind there backs and then say no i did not say that. People are wondering Phil how can we trust you when the Vortex land which had a value of £26,000 was given to Hereford housing for nothing is there some dodgy dealings going on that we should know about, that is what i will be looking at when i come to vote. i will be voting for someone i can trust and you do not fit the bill.

Thank you Chris. 

Great words indeed Bobby and to be honest as an old soldier said in relation to World War 2 when another pantomime dame was marching and dancing through Europe....." they don't like it up um Mr Mannering" ( This phrase has been liberated from a fantastic comedy series where dressing up was mandatory. These thoughts are my own and not those of said Hereford Voice. If I have offended anyone I humbly apologise and should not have mentioned the war.)