The Reason For The Traffic Jam Today

Colin James

This is the reason it took an hour and 5 minutes to drive from Belmont to Holmer this morning. Another nightmare morning on the A465 Belmont Road. Apparently a trailer carrying sheep overturned.

You see, one problem and the traffic extends out past the Clehonger turning on the A465 coming into Hereford and out as far as the bottom of the Callow on the A49 Ross Road. Still, we have a relief road coming soon eh...

More river crossings please!!

Belmont Road Hereford.JPG

It's farmer Wednesday they were probable heading for the market?

I came through there @ about 7.15 this morning the trailer was on its side & a lot of police but I did not see any sheep so not sure what time the accident happened?

I guess a ring road to the west would have allowed them to avoid the city on their way to the market and the local traffic would not have been so delayed

For these poor souls possibly though I would still go East Route first with as Colin states another bridge to the West of the city. I'm not that far from Aylestone yet would still prefer the route on this side if we can only have a bypass rather than a ring road which is probably pie in the sky as opposed to blue sky thinking!

AV this accident could have happened on any one of the routes into Hereford so shouldn't be used to substantiate the argument for a West bypass.  

Don't knock market day what many people do not know is for every sheep that passes through the market HC pick up I think 10p per sheep. Some  days there can be as many as 12000  so work it out for yourself a nice little earner.

AV this accident could have happened on any one of the routes into Hereford so shouldn't be used to substantiate the argument for a West bypass.

Don't knock market day what many people do not know is for every sheep that passes through the market HC pick up I think 10p per sheep. Some days there can be as many as 12000 so work it out for yourself a nice little earner.

Not knocking market day Denise it's just my nickname for it…as I have found memories of coming into Hereford as a child with my grandmother when she'd take me down to look @ all the livestock & mill around all the trade stalls when the market would be thriving on a Wednesday!

Oh totally different.  Once upon a time in the old market there were stalls upon stalls selling everything and I mean everything.  You could get really good bargains.  The farmers' wives would come in with the farmers do their weekly shop and look around the stalls and do any other shopping. During the school holidays children would flock to see the animals it was a tremendous learning curve for a lot of town children.    There were loads of packed buses from the Valleys so it would also be Welsh day.   Lovely happy family atmosphere.  Traffic was a bit of a problem but nothing like it is nowadays.  Time moves on and moving the livestock market certainly was an excellent decision it is now one of the busiest livestock markets in the country and animals are brought for sale from all over the country.  

Sadly the new market does not really encourage sightseers and it is a shame they didn't raise the cafe there so that you can take in the whole market.  

Health and safety and business don't mix with young children running around.

However if anybody is interested it is well worth a visit on a busy day but keep your arms and head still else you might end up buying a pen of sheep or pigs! 

Thanks Denise.

Something for the future perhaps but wouldn't it be great if the market could work something out that could help 're-engage' both children and townies which don't come from a farming background! Not sure who owns the surrounding land but there is space.

For these poor souls possibly though I would still go East Route first with as Colin states another bridge to the West of the city. 

I agree we do need two new river crossings one east & one west but whether that will happen remains to be seen?

Don't knock market day what many people do not know is for every sheep that passes through the market HC pick up I think 10p per sheep. Some  days there can be as many as 12000  so work it out for yourself a nice little earner.

Absolutely true Denise. Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time (unfortunately). If we had an Eastern  bypass no doubt only half the traffic would have been  on that road today and the traffic into Hereford would have flowed much quicker. BUT if they build all these houses on good agricultural land we will probably need another river bridge crossing to accommodate all the extra vehicles.People moan about being stuck in traffic maybe they should start getting their heads together and moaning about the proposed housing when they can look forward to a water shortage and hose pipe ban in the summer. How are they going to supply all these people with drinking water - I know, as the leader of HC said at a recent meeting I attended "they manage in Dubai"

Hi Denise, you may well be right, but the farmer closest to the bridge on the Madley side offered the council the chance to build the road through his field and straighten that bit out as it would be better for his farm, this was refused. When I say we need a new Bridge Sollars road I'm thinking of by passing Madley totally as this village couldn't take any more traffic movements, so if what you say is true I would be in agreement with them. But I would be happy to consider a new road which would go from somewhere by the comet inn straight to Bridge Sollars