Hardly 'Free Parking'

I love this, hardly 'Free Parking'

Waitrose.png

Waitrose.jpg

I will never understand this. So they want us all to go to their shopping centre but we have to pay to park. I have just returned from Poland most of the shopping centres offer 'Free Parking' to encourage customers and also put of Free Buses in many places too.

Its this same in France Colin. Personally I think that providing you have spent at the shopping centre then parking should be free and I am not talking a minimum spend of £20 either.

I have always been surprised at car park charges at shopping centres, totally different attitudes in Europe. Parking should be provided free is you have spent money at the centre even if that is just having a coffee, they should be encouraging customers to the centre. Limit free parking to 2 or 3 hours then apply charges to stop people taking the micky.

Colin I can understand your post - however .........

Mrs Ubique and I do take advantage of Waitrose free coffee ( just changed to you have to purchase food to receive the free coffee etc. )

We park at Tesco's, did some shopping in the store then ( in the week we use the bus ) walk across the Share Space !!! To Waitrose , do our shopping , if over £10 on a Saturday receive a free newspaper , ( we chose the Telegraph £2 off the bill ) . This morning we went to their very clean and tidy cafe / resturant and ordered Coffee , Peppermint tea , two slices of brown toast and butter each ..total cost £2.50 . Thank you Waitrose .....as they say , there are other similar premises nearby.

Mrs Ubique and I do take advantage of Waitrose free coffee ( just changed to you have to purchase food to receive the free coffee etc. )

We park at Tesco's, did some shopping in the store then ( in the week we use the bus ) walk across the Share Space !!! To Waitrose , do our shopping , if over £10 on a Saturday receive a free newspaper , ( we chose the Telegraph £2 off the bill ) . This morning we went to their very clean and tidy cafe / resturant and ordered Coffee , Peppermint tea , two slices of brown toast and butter each ..total cost £2.50 . Thank you Waitrose .....as they say , there are other similar premises nearby.

.If you don't like paying the car park charges then like me and Ubique go park elsewhere.Simple

Good to see you choose to park for free in Tesco.

I also enjoy free coffee with my toasted teacake, dont get me wrong, I really love going to the Old Market just don't agree with having to pay to park there especially if I have spent money.

I usually do but I think you are missing my point.

I like many others park in Tesco because its free for 2hrs and it's always full.On most occasions we have to park on the surface car park going around in circles waiting for a space.

I'd have a bet 90% of the people who park there ain't visiting Tescos.If the same was applied to the old market you would have sheer gridlock.

Also parking in the multi story car park is a cheaper option £1 an hr or £1.70 for 2hrs.The rear door is now open so you are able to walk right into the old market.

I like many others park in Tesco because its free for 2hrs and it's always full.On most occasions we have to park on the surface car park going around in circles waiting for a space.

I'd have a bet 90% of the people who park there ain't visiting Tescos.If the same was applied to the old market you would have sheer gridlock.

Also parking in the multi story car park is a cheaper option £1 an hr or £1.70 for 2hrs.The rear door is now open so you are able to walk right into the old market.

You obviously already agree with Colin by admitting your parking habits, you, like me, do not agree with being charged to park in the shopping centre otherwise you would go to such efforts to avoid paying, so I fail to see your argument. If the old market also offered free parking it would lesson you and other people having to keep driving around Tesco's car park in order to find a space.

You obviously already agree with Colin by admitting your parking habits, you, like me, do not agree with being charged to park in the shopping centre otherwise you would go to such efforts to avoid paying, so I fail to see your argument. If the old market also offered free parking it would lesson you and other people having to keep driving around Tesco's car park in order to find a space.

Same thoughts. They should offer free parking for all shoppers who spend money at the old market and only charge people who do not spend, maybe a minimum spend of £2 or £3. I will often drive and meet friends for a coffee and to chill but usually end up buying something from one of the stores anyway.

Taking the fact that Waitrose is situated on The Old Market site, out of the equation, do they charge for parking at their other stores? 

I don't believe any other supermarket charges for parking in Hereford, which to me puts Waitrose at a distinct disadvantage already.

They need to be doing more to help their customers. A minimum spend of £20.00, is not going to do that. If folks just want to pick up a sandwich and half an ounce of tobacco, they are not going to call in at Waitrose in the car..... they will drive to another supermarket where they can park for free!

The weekly food shop can be expensive enough, without having to pay for the privilege of filling up your trolley!

I'm lucky, I live close enough to walk into town. About once every three weeks or so, we go and do a big shop.... sometimes Sainsbury, sometimes the Co-op.....but we have never paid to do our grocery shop!

Well I ain't going. Ever! They could write me a letter begging me to visit the Old Market and offer to pay me to park my car down there and I'd refuse. Why? Because I've got principles. That's why!

I'll never set foot in the place. They could arrange for dozens of beautiful busty wanton strumpets to gather in their Car Park chanting, 'we want Fortyseven to enter the Old Market development and make us all pregnant' and I'll howl, 'I refuse. I'm a High Town man. Get somebody else to fertilise your ovarian eggs, I'm supping ale in the Commercial and I refuse to join you and have my body violated by women who clearly have no self control and no sense of pride. Clear off. Go bother someone else'.

Yes! I'm a High Town man and I will never set foot inside of that place that is a monument to stupidity. It's of no concern to me how expensive or inexpensive it is to visit that salty hulk of a box because I ain't ever going in there.

Taking the fact that Waitrose is situated on The Old Market site, out of the equation, do they charge for parking at their other stores? 

I don't believe any other supermarket charges for parking in Hereford, which to me puts Waitrose at a distinct disadvantage already.

They need to be doing more to help their customers. A minimum spend of £20.00, is not going to do that. If folks just want to pick up a sandwich and half an ounce of tobacco, they are not going to call in at Waitrose in the car..... they will drive to another supermarket where they can park for free!

The weekly food shop can be expensive enough, without having to pay for the privilege of filling up your trolley!

I'm lucky, I live close enough to walk into town. About once every three weeks or so, we go and do a big shop.... sometimes Sainsbury, sometimes the Co-op.....but we have never paid to do our grocery shop!

A valid point dippy   :Thumbs-Up:

Going to be honest... Mrs Night uses internet for fortnightly internet shop but we religiously park up somewhere south of High Town on Saturday for walk into the buttermarket,WH.Smith's,post office,Philip Morris and coffee etc.I spend most of my week paying over the odds for hospital parking so don't mind making small donation to the Councils expenditure plans!!!

Don't get me wrong I think the Old Market is a welcome addition and good exercise and yesterday treated Mrs Night to a meal at Frankie & Bennies,s which was great and let's not forget that should she want to venture into those unnamed big stores then I get a lot more time to myself......one day I might even go into the "Commercial"!