Central Park Half Term Family Fun Day - Thursday 19 February

twowheelsgood

The climbing wall brings back so many memories - reaching the top of a climb , the pride in doing so , no bragging , it's just you and a very trusted mate - I learnt to climb at 15 and 1 month ( after I joined the Boys Regt Royal Artillery at Bradbury Lines in 1956 ) .we were transported up to the Llanberis Pass wearing supplied boots with studs , safety rope and get on with it ! No other way to learn - builds up ones confidence and trust in others who will never let you down -I then joined a group of boys , now aged men who I was willing to die for - no question .

We still meet up every year, in April , draw up,a sand bag and chew the cud , that's after nearly 60 years . How many other groups of people do the same ?

Twowheelgood - apologies , I have rambled on - but just wanted to clear my mind.

Forget H and S , well bear it in mind , but let the kids enjoy themselves - a bit of danger ( to their mind ) is all part of growing up,properly !

• 2 weeks later...

It was great success despite the rain, and then the darned rain and then the rain on top of the rain! It did make the climbing wall a bit slippy, but no one seemed to mind - we had over a hundred people through the course of the event, quite possibly including dippyhippy, but that's not for me to say! We're planning to repeat the same thing on 21 March, so please make a note in your diaries.

Hello atm63!

So many welcomes to you!

I'm afraid I don't remember this, but I'm sure there will be other members who perhaps do!

It's always lovely to hear from a new member.

Two Wheels..... great to hear the day was a success....... despite the weather!  Roll on March 21st!

Hi, ( first post on here) I grew up in St Guthlac Street, in my day the area you talk about was known as The Pit. Just wonder if anyone else remembers it and when it became Central Park. Thanks

It was named Central Park in 2008 following a consultation by the Friends of Central Park - the official name was Portfields Open Space and, yes, it was known locally as The Pit, which the Friends acknowledged on their website. The 'pit' in question was probably from quarrying gravel and was infilled by excavation, including many skeletons, when the Council dug the 'new' inner relief road through the Daws Road graveyard.

http://friendsofcentralpark.org