Broadleys Pub Planning Application - Co-Operative Store

Colin James

Herefordshire Council have received a planning application to turn the Broadleys Pub into a Co-Operative store according to Tina Carey (Landlady)

Broadleys.jpg

I think we have enough supermarkets, I would rather see this turned into a Toby Carvery rather than another shop personally.

This is the message that Tina Carey put out on Facebook Last night.

Hi there everybody,
Some of you may already have heard the news but I feel it's my duty to share with you personally.
Please remember, when I came to The Broadleys 3 1/2 years ago I always said I would stay 4/5 years - that has not changed. 
However, last Friday planning permission was submitted to Hereford council to turn this site into a Co-Operative store. It will take approximately 5/6 months for the planning to be approved - if it is approved and then and only then will I agree a leaving date of a further 6 months. So I'm not going anywhere just yet!!
I appreciate this may come as a shock to some of you and emotions will run high.
I will do my best to keep you all updated on further development and any decisions made and there timeframes etc.,
This is not guaranteed - and we still have approximatley 12 months to make some noise, have a lot of fun and create further memories.

I believe life is like a "bus journey" - My "bus" stopped in Hereford 3 1/2 years ago and since then, many people have stepped on my bus. Some, have got off and taken another bus - but some people even had to be thrown off my bus. Oops!! I'm not sure where my bus will next take me, some of you may stay on my bus - you just might have to change seats!

So watch this space - I will keep you updated! Cheers "T".,
Tina J Carey.

An update from Tina Carey;

The Broadleys Inn Hereford

Evening all,
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I have several meetings scheduled over the next day or two. Once I have a clearer picture, I will invite everybody to a "public meeting" which Mark Haslam from CAMRA will participate following his meeting next Tuesday with Hereford council. Everybody will have a chance to express their views and be invited to sign a book and leave their comments. I would hope that Jesse Norman our local MP will accept the invitation and join this meeting.
Watch this space for further updates

It seems a bit of a stupid place to put one, it's hard enough trying to get out of the hospice shop car park let alone trying to get in that 90 degree ramp into the Broadleys car park

Will they be moving the co op from down the road then? Seems stupid to have 4 shops so close to each other

I can understand where Tina is coming from - I respect her honesty - thank you .

The pub is not in my walking distance any more - many years ago - and that is many years ago ( over 50 years ) me and my 15 yr old mates / comrades sneaked down to this pub and appeared at their " Outdoor " and bravely ask for four pints of Scrumpy , this cost us 9 old pence a pint . Lovely stuff .

Should add that this was after we called at The Gamecock , now Tesco's for a similar amount. - Happy days - very happy . Must add that 7 of us who joined at 15 yrs still meet up every year to pull up a sand bag and chew the cud - really happy days.

Apologies Colin if I have drifted off post but ......those were the days

On 22/01/2015 at 15:11, Ubique said:

I can understand where Tina is coming from - I respect her honesty - thank you .

The pub is not in my walking distance any more - many years ago - and that is many years ago ( over 50 years ) me and my 15 yr old mates / comrades sneaked down to this pub and appeared at their " Outdoor " and bravely ask for four pints of Scrumpy , this cost us 9 old pence a pint . Lovely stuff .

Should add that this was after we called at The Gamecock , now Tesco's for a similar amount. - Happy days - very happy . Must add that 7 of us who joined at 15 yrs still meet up every year to pull up a sand bag and chew the cud - really happy days.

Apologies Colin if I have drifted off post but ......those were the days

Yes growing up in Redhill we would often start our pub crawl from here. We often played darts here too and also at the Gamecock good times indeed. Shame the pub has come to this but in fairness, I do not think that the brewery have been forth coming with any money to upgrade etc for Tina or for the previous landlord Carl.

Further to my previous post must add that at the time we sneaked to the " Outdoor " for our drinks we had joined the Boys Regt Royal Artillery at age , in my case 15 years 1 month , stationed at Bradbury Lines, signed on for Boys Service until we were 17.5 then we had to serve at least 9 years Regular Army - As some Posters will know - Happy , Happy Days .

I could certainly put forward a case for National Service .........?

Just hope that the Broadleys stays some sort of pub / restaurant .

Public meeting to discuss future of Hereford pub

First published 5 hours ago in News
Last updated 5 hours ago
A PUBLIC meeting will be held next week to discuss the future of a Hereford pub.

From the HEREFORD TIMES

Tina Carey, the landlady of The Broadleys on Ross Road, says a planning application has been submitted to Herefordshire Council to turn the pub into a Co-op.

Ms Carey announced the news on social media last night and this morning told the Hereford Times a meeting would be held at the pub next Friday to talk about the plans.

She has invited Hereford MP Jesse Norman to attend, along with CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) representative Mark Haslam.

It takes place at 7pm.

( NOT SURE IF THE MEETING IS TOMORROW , FRIDAY OR TE FOLLOWING FRIDAY )

Early day motion 208

House of Comons:

DEMOLITION AND CHANGE OF USE OF PUB BUILDINGS

Session: 2014-15

Date tabled: 02.07.2014

Primary sponsor: Leslie, Charlotte

Sponsors: Brooke, Annette Blackman, Bob Connarty, Michael Lucas, Caroline Cunningham, Tony

That this House believes that permitted development rights are leaving pubs in England vulnerable to demolition or conversion to a range of retail uses without planning permission; further believes, in light of evidence from the Campaign for Real Ale, that two pubs a week are converted to supermarkets, and that these planning loopholes are contributing to the loss of valued community amenities; is concerned that local people are being denied a say in the future of their neighbourhoods; and so urges the Government to bring forward amendments to the General Permitted Development Order 1995 so that any demolition or change of use involving the loss of a pub would require planning permission.

A further regulation, the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 (SI 418) grants what are called permitted development rights's. Permitted development rights are basically a right to make changes to a building without the need to apply for planning permission. Under this order planning permission is not needed for changes in use of buildings within each class and for certain changes of use between some of the classes. 

Standard Note: SN/SC/1301

Last updated: 16 December 2014

Hi Guys,

I would like to say I will stop this happening but it is not going to be easy. There is no need for a planning application as a pub is class A1 the same as a food shop. There is no planning application in yet, butt appears that the developer wants to do some sort of extension, probably at the rear of the building to receive goods from lorries.

There is a huge difference between two lorries a week delivering beer and three a day delivering food. A few cars, mainly in the evening is different to several cars an hour for 12 hours a day. I believe the Highways Agency will oppose a planning application on the grounds that more vehicle movements will put a great deal of pressure on the Ross Road/Holme Lacy Road Junction. It will make the junction very much more dangerous. But as I say, no planning application is needed if there is no change to the outside of the building. A shop could open tomorrow.

Apparently there is no plan to close the existing Co-op in Holme Lacy Road. Another food shop is not needed in South Wye and will probably have a devastating effect on Stokes Stores and the Red Hill shop. I am going to do my best to fight this and keep the Broadleys open but it will need all of us, the public, to protest. I hope all bloggers will go to the meeting a week on Friday at 7pm.

I have to agree with Chris  we do not need another food shop in South Wye, it will have a detrimental effect on the Redhill stores also the shops at Putson. As they have one co-op in Holme Lacy road why do they need another?. I will definitely support Chris on trying to stop this happening. I agree with the other posters here what we need it to be is either keep it as a pub or a decent  restaurant.

The only problem i see is that as has happened before the developers will dangle a sweetener to the council Phil Edwards knows all about that and no matter what you say it will make no difference we all know it is unsuitable as retail supermaket shop premises a toby inn is a great idea serving local ale .

I would like to say I will stop this happening

That's a pretty bold statement

There is no need for a planning application as a pub is class A1 the same as a food shop. There is no planning application in yet, 

According to every other source about this, there has been a planning application

On 23/01/2015 at 11:44, Biomech said:

That's a pretty bold statement

According to every other source about this, there has been a planning application

I agree, very bold statement but that probably a power thing lol I think any planning in fairness to Chris refers to a possible change at the back of the property in way of some sort of extention.

Last time I had a pint here was a couple of weeks ago just after the new year and before that was at the beginning of December with my friend. I notice on local social media sites that there are a few campaigners with their boots on already demanding that this be kept as a pub but I bet have of them have either never stepped through the door of the Broadleys or have not been here for years. Unless the brewery invest in the pub and modernise it or turn in into a restaurant then it will doomed and either end up as another express supermarket, which we don't need or just boarded up like the Ship Inn, personally given the choice I would rather see something there.

Good research from   megilleland on this - I note that our own MP Jesse Norman has yet to make his views known on this early day motion, so I have just emailed him asking him to publish his views on this for the benefit of his constituents.

To get the fact I contacted the planning officer today  this was the reply:

QUOTE:

We have received an application for the proposed " alteration and extension to the existing public house to facilitate conversion to class A1 convenience store, with ATM and associated servicing ,refuse, plant and parking areas".

This has been validated today 23.1.15 but is not yet on the website. Ward Cllrs will receive notification once it has been registered.

END.

The public meeting is next Friday at the Broadlease.

As I said, they can open the shop tomorrow all the planning application is about putting in incedentals like ATM and refuse place. If they fail to get permission for these they can still open the shop.

Like I say, I would like to think this can be stopped, as one of the Ward Councillors, but the pub to shop is only an alteration of service. Planning permission is needed for these extras but they are only extras. When I wrote yesterday the planning application had not been validated. Now we know what they are putting in an application for. The way it will be prevented from becoming a shop is if the HA forbid the increase of traffic onto the highway. The brewery should open a Restraunt, if it wants to make a success of the pub.

As a matter of interest there is a planning application in for the Ship Inn to be converted to 37 flats which should come to committee in weeks.

As I said, they can open the shop tomorrow all the planning application is about putting in incedentals like ATM and refuse place. If they fail to get permission for these they can still open the shop.

Like I say, I would like to think this can be stopped, as one of the Ward Councillors, but the pub to shop is only an alteration of service. Planning permission is needed for these extras but they are only extras. When I wrote yesterday the planning application had not been validated. Now we know what they are putting in an application for. The way it will be prevented from becoming a shop is if the HA forbid the increase of traffic onto the highway. The brewery should open a Restraunt, if it wants to make a success of the pub.

As a matter of interest there is a planning application in for the Ship Inn to be converted to 37 flats which should come to committee in weeks.

Unless Tesco come along wanting to stick yet another bloody Tesco Express there.

Unless Tesco come along wanting to stick yet another bloody Tesco Express there.

Fortunately Ragwert I'm not sure that Tesco,s will have the interest anymore. Another convenience store is just not required so if there are any co-operative members like myself who feel this will be a poor investment then you should make your feelings known to the organisation who after all have had their problems.

The Guardian, Monday 26 January 2015 

English pubs deemed important to communities to be protected by law

New government proposal would see pubs saved from demolition or change-of-use without planning permission.

Seems like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Oh I forgot, there is a general election coming up. Amazing how it concentrates the minds of our MPs.