Herefordshire Council is delighted to have received six expressions of interest regarding development of the Buttermarket in Hereford.

butter_market.jpg

This followed a national marketing campaign, which generated a lot of interest and saw 17 information packs being distributed.

The six interested candidates have now been invited to submit a short presentation and outline business case to a selected panel on Thursday 11 December.

The successful shortlisted candidates will then be asked to submit a full business case in April / May 2015, with a preferred candidate and development proposal being selected in early summer.

I have been supporting the buttermarket traders for 2 years and back in the summer Steve Dixon, chairman of the Buttermarket Independent Traders Association, along with buttermarket traders , backed by local businessmen has expressed its interest in taking over the market as a community enterprise, they said: "we know the market, we know the job". This came about when the £3-5m refurbishment was put on hold by Herefordshire Council. It now seems to me rather coincidental that the council has 6  candidates interested in putting forward a business case, a few months after the market traders and local businessmen have shown an interest to take over the running of the buttermarket!

We will see if what you have said will come true, but as the candidates business cases will not be heard until April/May next year this administration may not be around to make the decisions because the elections are on 7th May. Whether my electorate re-elected me  or not I will still be supporting the traders to take over the Buttermarket

And once again Glenda, I respectfully say to you - what experience do the traders have in :

1 ) That type of building and the love that is required there.

2 ) What experience do the traders have in refurbishment of that type of building

3 ) What experience do the traders have in marketing the BM

4 ) What experience or financial backing do the traders have in.........well, anything but small market stalls.

Im a sucker for the underdog all the time - I really am, but these guys do not have the skill, knowledge or expertise to referb the BM to take it in the right direction.

Respectfully - if they did - they wouldn't be renting a trestle table in that building if they did.