Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

Well I'm a fat knight and don't mind a bike but sadly after many years on spin bikes a certain prostate gland screams at me even if I look at a set of handle bars!

This thread is worth reviewing from the start as there is a lot of opposition to this road on this site.

But also sadly remember some of the landowners will benefit handsomely.  I say sadly because most of the farms along that route are inherited farms from their parents.  I know a lot of the parents didn 't envisage that this would happen when they scrimped and saved and struggled to buy the farms in the first place.  They imagined that their offspring would carry on doing what the land was intended for fine food production.  Inherited wealth.

I heard that a couple of the farms along the route are small holdings owned by Herefordshire Council. Surely if they build the road they will just sell the land for new houses to pay off the loan they are going to need to pay for the road? All the new houses will create more traffic as wont these people work and shop in Hereford?

I thought I read somewhere else on Hfd Voice that in the run up to the election that there is a "purdah" period so how can the Council submit a planning application for a road that so many people don't want their hard earned taxpayers money wasted on?

"Without support for cycling, etc., that means lots more people in lots more cars, all wanting to travel predominantly IN AND OUT of central Hereford for shops, work, hospital, cinema, etc. Surely all major plans like this should be put on hold until a new administration is in place?

And don't forget, Jean has discovered she would lose her garden and trees, and presumably some other people who own land in the way of the route will be badly affected too."

There seem to be hints of a "scorched earth" policy here.  Would we also find a note saying "Sorry - there's no money?"

Dippy Hippy,  It's Our County are a pretty broad church but I don't sense any appetite for this unseemly road scheme frenzy and I think there will be a new approach emerging to our transport problems.   There has to be a financial motive behind it because it certainly doesn't make sense in transport planning terms.  

So while everyone is busy concentrating on other things like elections, this major Hereford-changing plan is being pushed forward? 

As others have said, this road could not be cost-effective, as all it does is to improve a little on the existing rat-run between the Abergavenny and Ross roads. 

And it would inevitably open up lots of new land for housing development, as part of all the "developer-led urban extensions" that have been mentioned in passing, plans to expand the boundaries and make Hereford city much bigger.

Without support for cycling, etc., that means lots more people in lots more cars, all wanting to travel predominantly IN AND OUT of central Hereford for shops, work, hospital, cinema, etc. Surely all major plans like this should be put on hold until a new administration is in place?

And don't forget, Jean has discovered she would lose her garden and trees, and presumably some other people who own land in the way of the route will be badly affected too.

We met with council officials today and a representative from PB.  We asked if they could move the road over and were told this is not possible as it has to be a certain standard to be adopted by the highways. 

This link road from the A465 to B4349 was an add on road and suggested because the junction at the lousey oak is potentialy dangerous for vehicles turning right.  Surely it would have been more cost effective and less disruptive to improve this junction - maybe a roundabout here. Have this council not got any brains or are they just acting Thick!!!

I met with Jean and her husband yesterday afternoon to look at where the road was going, the current councillors excuse for putting the road through their property is because lorries heading for South wales will struggle to turn right on the current A465 B4349 junction (how many lorries currently do this?) this is easily rectified by a roundabout anyway. Then their excuse of lorries turning right to head to South Wales is also flawed as most lorries will head straight on to pick up the A49 then in Ross and on the A40 into South Wales. When looking at the bigger picture it seems like this extension is to make it easier to link up to a western bypass while also dividing up a few parcels of land to develop on between Mr and Mrs Harris place and Belmont Abbey hence why the farmer is keeping quiet. In all logic this road should be scrapped as the only people benefiting would be Tory party donaters and the money spent on a eastern river crossing, what's the point of another road going nowhere when we need another River crossing.

Hi Jim ...just to add to this most larger HGV,s have a problem with the height restriction on the A465 at Pontrillas.( railway bridge) . Also this route is only valid if your looking for deliveries off the heads of the valley road or going for a substantial trip to Neath & Port Talbot.( nice road though).

As for using the A49 south for Monmouth and the West well a lot of said lorries turn right on the A4137 just before the Pengethly Manor Hotel. That cuts the corner and brings them out at the Symonds Yat turnoff.

Yes Greenknight, I totally agree. The current councillors argument is this road needs to be able to take HGV,s turning right towards South Wales, these lorries are supposedly coming from Brightwells auction site at Madley. A lot of the HGV,s going to the auction site turn by Locks garage then go through Kingstone, they won't use the new road anyway as their route is shorter.

From all the comments from people who know the routes in this area are making, perhaps the politicians who proposed this road are making up the reasons to justify this road AFTER they have proposed it. The road is not the solution to a problem, the politicians are making problems to justify their pet project. 

Following a meeting with HC officials and PB I asked why the link road from the B4349 to A465 is necessary as they claim it is to make the junction safer at the junction k.a the Lousey Oak. Surely it would be far better at this stage, as they don't know where they are going after this, to make that junction safer by building a roundabout. Think how much of the ratepayers money could be saved and used for other things. We must keep this topic alive at the moment as the PA is imminent. There are so many flaws in the way this has been handled so let's hope the Planning committee will see some sense and listen to us and all the other bodies that are so strongly against this until a river bridge crossing is in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

Just to let you know that the planning application for the Southern Link Road from the A465 to A49 with associated links to the B4349 HAS been submitted as I posted on here a few days ago and Denise said I was getting confused with the city Link Road.  I have today received a letter from PB informing me and that we have 21 days to object. The council are obviously rushing this through before the election although the planning committee will discuss this in June but objections and support would have been submitted by then

A map of the route is on the Council website showing it goes through Jean's garden and Grafton Wood. Apart from the fact that this proposed road cannot expect to help traffic congestion, they still seem to ignore that Grafton Wood is ancient woodland. They intend various wildlife "mitigation" sites along the route, but ancient woodland cannot be mitigated,  - once it's gone it's gone forever.

I would doubt there will be a planning meeting in June - councillors have to be inducted, committees selected and then specifically trained on how to vote on planning applications. The council just don't move that quickly!

jeanharris - have the applicants served notice on you that they have made an application on your land? This is important.

Jean Jean Jean I am so sorry to doubt your word.  I never imagined that they would move this fast especially with an election in the middle of the consultation period.  They do not know for sure that the Cons will still be in control it may well be some other party who does not agree with this.  

Driving from Locks the other day it was hard to imagine that those excellent arable fields could be concreted over.  When will people realise the connection between fields and food production.  It is a stunning picture postcard view as you approach the Lousey Oak.

Once again Jean I am so sorry  I am on your side. I live in Kingstone and we have been swamped by developers wanting to plant many many houses here so I do understand!  

What is the Planning Application Number.

I've searched the council planning website and can't find it - although it's running at very dead slow today, with lots of errors.

I suspect its 'hidden' in the same way as the cattle market application was 'hidden', by attaching it to a single dwelling address. 

post-858-0-07010200-1431005308_thumb.jpg

Sorry to go on and possibly on I've just put A49 to A465 Link Road into the search (which is usually sufficient to bring up a planning application and lots of other things) but no planning application.  Hereford Times would definitely have picked up on something as big as this so I don't know.

However I did find this 

Hereford Relief Road Southern Core - Herefordshire Council

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/.../hereford_relief_road_southern_cor...

.31 Dec 2003 - Corridor linking the A49 with the A465, taking into account ... in the Hereford Relief Road (HRR) Study of Options Report (Amey, September.

Quite an interesting read don't know whether this was included in the consultation papers.

Oh Cloudberry has just posted something so things might be different now.

It seems that a decision to authorise the submission of the planning application has been made but that it has either not actually been submitted yet or that it has been submitted but not been registered.

But I am sure it will be hidden from the public and will be approved in secret!!!!!! Conspiracy theories - love them

What planet do some of you live on?

Of course if your dream ticket of IOC or IOC/Indies get control it will be dropped won't it

I got wind of it as I opted to receive What's new emails from HC. It's on the What's New page

The route plan and "mitigation options" are there.

http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50009513

As I said before, through this link you can see the actual Planning Application here:

http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50009513

Hi Cloudberry, I've clicked the link....I can't see anything marked "representations" Are you able to object yet, and if so, is there another link, which will take me directly to the correct place???

I'm dreadful with navigating my way around t'interweb....I need all the help I can get!

You are right, I can see the maps etc., but I can't see anything about representations. But Jean has said today she has had a lettter from Parsons Brinckerhoff telling her the application is submitted and she has 21 days to object.

Hi Everyone.

Just to let you know that the planning application for the Southern Link Road from the A465 to A49 with associated links to the B4349 HAS been submitted as I posted on here a few days ago and Denise said I was getting confused with the city Link Road.  I have today received a letter from PB informing me and that we have 21 days to object. The council are obviously rushing this through before the election although the planning committee will discuss this in June but objections and support would have been submitted by then

Conspiracy or incompetence?

Well, I know for a fact that I am technically incompetent, so I quite happily assumed it was me to begin with!

Now you've had a look, and confirmed it, I'm not so sure!

Twenty one days isn't long, and if the facility isn't there for on line objections to be submitted, this surely needs to be highlighted??

Well whoever gets in they better get organized and quickly because there are some big issues queuing up for their kind attention and this is going to be a big one! I went to the public event at the Three Counties Hotel and there was no support for it whatsoever.

Let's see how the cards fall tonight and then we get busy.