Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

Question ........if and I think it's a big if , another Party take control next May can they change / cancel this .

Megilleland.. Thank you for taking the time to posting the OS Map of the route.

Revocation of planning permission

Planning permission vests development rights in the land, and the local planning authority has no power simply to withdraw a permission unilaterally. Once planning permission has been granted, then any revocation of the permission leaves the applicant able to claim compensation. The local planning authority has the power to revoke planning permissions under section 97 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended). 

The power in section 97 of the 1990 Act can only be used before the development is complete. After that date, a local planning authority can use a power to order discontinuance under section 102 of the Act. Confirmation by the Secretary of State is required under section 103. Again, there is a liability to pay compensation under section 115. The normal measure of compensation is the damage suffered in consequence of the order by depreciation of the value of an interest in the land or in minerals, or by being disturbed in the enjoyment of the land or minerals.

This note describes the circumstances in which either the local planning authority or the Secretary of State can revoke planning permission that has been granted by a local planning authority. It applies to England and Wales.

'Unlocking much needed development land': Cllr Price's quoted words at yesterday's Cabinet rubber-stamping session. A subtle difference to the 'unlock barriers' quoted by the planners. 'development land' is surely municipal weaselspeak for lovely open countryside which housebuilders will fall over themselves to buy up, enabling us to rake in lots of lovely Roof Tax (formerly S106 payments).

Hi

I really get miffed when I hear that this road is the answer to the Enterprise Zone and all of the South of Herefords traffic problems! It is not and will not be. When I speak to business owners on Rotherwas they all want to do business with Birmingham area and the Thames Valley area Not Wales ! I rarely agree with Jim Kenyon but what Rotherwas , Lower Bullingham & my home village of Dinedor want is an Eastern Crossing that will allow a link to the Ledbury road & therefore the motorway system. Jesse Normans proposed Eastern Route would do this for a tad less than this proposal.

Pete

The road isn't meant to be an answer to traffic problems (indeed it will make them worse) - that is a front, merely a means to unlock house building land, as now admitted by Cllr Price (who has already said he's standing down next May).

The eastern route is the sensible economic option, but house building will be limited. Hereford's status as a grid locked backwater is safe in this council's hands.

Some Councillors who support a Southern Link Road need to wake up and check the full facts, rather than the stories they’ve been told. There is no evidence that a Southern Link Road is essential to overcoming “barriers to growth†at the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone. There is no evidence that a Southern Link Road could help traffic congestion in SouthWye, especially now the ideas for including cycleways etc. seem to have disappeared. You only have to glance at the map (and previous posts) to see how pointless this route would be.

Hundreds of thousands of pounds have already been spent on consultants, but there is not even a cost-benefit analysis. What exactly would Herefordians get in return for spending all these £millions? Consultation does not seem to have been very thorough. No-one at the Cabinet meeting believed that English Heritage had not been consulted until Councillor Powers read out their letter. So there seem to be some serious flaws in the whole road proposal and the way it is being “fast-tracked†through to a planning application before Christmas.

As others have pointed out, the main purpose of this road would be to open up development land for more housing. And the people in those new houses would all add to those already driving in to Hereford on the Belmont Road and Ross Road. Millions spent, and congestion in Hereford ten times worse. Even a new western bridge and western relief road wouldn’t help then, because that too would mean loads more houses. As TWG said, this approach hasn’t worked for Worcester, and it won’t work here either.

As I have said before this road (Rotherwas Access Rd) was first consulted on in 2004, at that time the direction of the road was the same but with a river bridge from Belmont to Breinton. This road and bridge would of been built years ago if this administration had gone back to Advantage West Midlands for the second stage of funding but they left it to late. In April 2004 I did a door to door survey of the people living in South Wye and they thought it was a good idea, The application for the 500/800  houses which was proposed for lower Bullingham at the time was thrown out. I think without the river crossing this road will not work. What will help is the rail link in to Rotherwas!

Is this road REALLY the one Herefordians have talked about for forty years?

Perhaps Cllr Price should widen the circle of folks he speaks to. Or takes advice from.

Cllr Price is on record as saying at a public meeting that he doesn't give a f*** what local people think, so its odd, or convenient, that he is now quoting their support. In reality, this really is not the one Herefordians have been talking about for 40 years - that has focused on a new river crossing.

Hereford Times News14th November by Bill Tanner

HEREFORD’S £25 million southern link road could end in court, Herefordshire Council has been told.

Yesterday, cabinet backed the SC2 route option but didn’t get an easy ride.

Members were warned that the consultation process by which SC2 was selected  ran the risk of judicial review and public inquiry.

Cabinet put its faith in legal advice given to the council’s own project consultants Parsons Brinkerhof  that said the process was sufficient.

With cabinet support, SC2 can move to a planning application as soon as next month.

As proposed, SC2  leaves the A49 to pass through the centre of Grafton Wood and continue westwards over Grafton Lane and Withy Brook before veering north-west to a proposed new roundabout near the A465/B4349 junction.

The cabinet vote was SC2 was never in doubt. The council put out a press release confirming the result almost as soon as yesterday’s meeting was over.

The release quoted Cllr Phillip Price, cabinet member for infrastructure, as saying:“I am delighted with the decision made by cabinet today. This road has been talked about by Herefordians for some forty years and at long last we have negotiated the first hurdle to making it a reality.â€

In the chamber, however, Cllr Price found himself tangled up in a row over ancient woodland the road would pass through.

Responding to questions on status accorded to  Grafton Wood, Cllr Price said the site was of a “lesser ecological standard†than Newton Coppice and Hayleasow Wood through which other route options would pass.

Questions were also raised about the extent of consultation with English Heritage over scheduled sites the road would impact on.

“This is not about the need for a roads, it is about process,†said Cllr Peter Sinclair-Knipe.

Calling for “proper consideration†of a wider range of route options, he said:

“I don’t want to see this council and Herefordshire taxpayers footing the bill for something thrown out at judicial review or on appeal.â€

Cllr Anthony Powers, leader of It’s Our County, warned that the process by which SC2 was chosen was based on “deeply flawed†logic and consultation that would lead to judicial review and public inquiry.

He said: “Other routes were dismissed for going through ancient woodland so why not SC2?â€

Independent leader Cllr Bob Matthews said the new road would do little to reduce traffic on Belmont Road when the “clear priority†for the city was a route crossing the Wye to the east.

Cllr Felicity Norman said no convincing case had been made for a road borne out of an “obsession with Rotherwas†at the expense of economic development in other parts of the county.

Amongst speakers supporting the road, Cllrs Phil Edwards and Dave Taylor pressed the case for the “silent majority†who wanted it built.

SC2 was recommended to cabinet on the basis of a route options appraisal by  Parsons Brinkerhof.

The resulting report found four of the initial eight options represented “feasible  solutions†with the other four sifted out due to environmental considerations.

Public consultation took place in July / August where the results of the four route appraisal of these four routes were set out and feedback was invited.

Following consideration of  this feedback detailed appraisal of  a number of alternative alignments took place.

Cabinet was told that the council’s own project team has reviewed the resulting report and is “satisfied†with its conclusions and the highest score being given to SC2.

SC2 also scored highly in the public consultation and legal advice suggest the appraisal process - to date - is sound enough to go up against objections.

The route is also a projected £1 million-£1.6 million cheaper than the other options.

A  planning application for the road is expected next month for a Spring determination date.

The construction timeline sees the road built by early 2018.

SC2 – HEREFORD’S PROPOSED SOUTHERN LINK ROAD

Cabinet has backed a route pitched as improving connections between the A465, A49 and the Rotherwas industrial estate/enterprise zone.

As proposed, SC2 would be a single carriageway connecting the B4349, the A465 and the A49.

Environmental factors were crucial to the determination of the chosen route with designated ancient woodlands like Newton Coppice and Hayleasow Wood within the development area.

Four route options were rejected as affecting ancient woodland.

Leaving the A49 at the Rotherwas access road roundabout, much of SC2 passes through farmland but a section does cut through the centre of Grafton Wood - which has no environmental designation and a low tree density – to cross over the Hereford-Cardiff rail line and under Haywood Lane in reaching a new roundabout near the A465-B4349 junction.

An impact is recognised on the significance of Grade II* and Grade II listed buildings at Haywood Lodge and the setting of Grade II listed buildings at  Clehonger Court, a Grade II listed milestone and potential effect on buried archaeological remains in four fields.

FUNDING SC2

THE cost of SC2 is covered by a provisional allocation of £27m in government secured through the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership to support the overall South Wye Transport  Package (SWTP).

Any match funding required to deliver the overall package is anticipated to come from private sector contributions and existing transport capital  allocations.

The £500,000 costs of carrying out route appraisal and consultation have been met through council’s revenue budget.

A confirmation of SC2 as the preferred route means the council could capitalise the costs of a planning application and detailed design, land and construction.

Capital costs associated with the scheme are estimated at £1.6 million funded through council’s transport capital allocation.

That allocation is estimated to be £600,000 this year and £1 million in 2015/16, pending the drawing down of government funding.

The current estimated cost for SC2 is £25 million. Any remaining funding goes into other initiatives identified in the SWTP.

SC2- THE RISKS

Residents and statutory bodies could lodge successful objections if the council’s appraisal process is not seen as robust - though legal advice suggests the process so far is sound.

Funding could be withdrawn if a preferred route is not selected and a planning application submitted in accordance with the project programme.

Whilst a provisional allocation of government funding has been made to fund the SWTP, the council will be required to complete further funding  submissions to the Department for Transport.

Delays to funding  being released by the Department for Transport could see in a delay to the delivery of the scheme and the need to continue covering costs from existing funding.

THE OTHER OPTIONS CONSIDERED

SC2A - a variation on SC2 with the road crossing underneath the Hereford-Cardiff rail line.

SC5 - a route located further north of SC2/SC2A and south of Merryhill Lane crossing underneath the railway line and Haywood Lane.

SC7 - similar to SC5 but more twisted in nature to avoid environmental constraints.

Cllr Price is on record as saying at a public meeting that he doesn't give a f*** what local people think, so its odd, or convenient, that he is now quoting their support. In reality, this really is not the one Herefordians have been talking about for 40 years - that has focused on a new river crossing.

Precisely Two Wheels!

Which makes me wonder, do they not understand, or do they just not care.

Does Jesse Norman hold any sway over this? On this issue he does seem to grasp the facts and the logic.

Let's be honest none of us are surprised @ this cabinet decision making with this or anything else they have decide on. They've never listen to any other opinion but there own & push through with every bad idea that has comes there way come what may.

The reason this is being rushed through now is because they know there numbers is up come May they will be gone so time is not on there side.

As Hereford times states kind regards to the mighty megilleland for posting it up it will more than likely end up in court or a judicial inquire & by the time that happens it could well be after the May elections when this lot are history??!!

So why doesn't the bumbling idiot cllr price do us all a favour & pack his bags now & do one??

I still don't know why more thought has not been put into using the old Great Western Way?

As lot of the infrastructure is in place it's crying out to be put to good use!

I don't know it ifs been mentioned before but a monorail would work well I think although I'm no expert but if it was possible to do it could go from top of Redhill right the way up to the college estate?

Cambo - it is put to very good use by a huge amount of pedestrians and cyclists! It is also a wonderful wildlife corridor. I fear a monorail or anything else for that matter would take that all of that away. There's not that much space and there are so many spurs off it. In its way it was a pioneering scheme, put in place by the old Liberal City Council, and must be one of the most cost effective pieces of infrastructure the City has ever constructed. Obviously it’s a shame that even basic street cleaning and even basic maintenance is no longer done, but then that’s the same everywhere under the present council.

As I have said before this road (Rotherwas Access Rd) was first consulted on in 2004, at that time the direction of the road was the same but with a river bridge from Belmont to Breinton. This road and bridge would of been built years ago if this administration had gone back to Advantage West Midlands for the second stage of funding but they left it to late. In April 2004 I did a door to door survey of the people living in South Wye and they thought it was a good idea, The application for the 500/800  houses which was proposed for lower Bullingham at the time was thrown out. I think without the river crossing this road will not work. What will help is the rail link in to Rotherwas!

Can you explain to my how a rail ink into Rotherwas will help and who it will help.Who will use it ,how they will use it and why

I still don't know why more thought has not been put into using the old Great Western Way?

As lot of the infrastructure is in place it's crying out to be put to good use!

That could only cater for low level internal City use ... We all know where that bridge is and it is no good for relief of very much at all ... Comes out in Sainsbury's car park ... 

The rail link into Rotherwas will help the businesses with a freight service and the people in South Wye it will also be a passenger station, so you can get on the train from there which will connect passenger to Wales, also elsewhere by running into Hereford station as well.

123tcsz.jpg

Current rail layout ... 

Fair one TWG how about a network of those ski lift things instead then? you could easily get around or over any obstacles with those things, after all they go up & down mountains!…& on the up side you would not need to build a bridge to cross the river imagine the views you'd have, no upsetting wildlife, pedestrians or cyclists!!!…I know it might sound like a mad idea but we are the city of mad ideas & those are the ones that tend to get tried first!!! So my fingers are crossed for this one!

The rail link into Rotherwas will help the businesses with a freight service and the people in South Wye it will also be a passenger station, so you can get on the train from there which will connect passenger to Wales, also elsewhere by running into Hereford station as well.

Hi Glenda, what do you think of having a freight terminal in rotherwas and passenger stations at moreton_on_lugg and tram inn. It would be great for commuters coming into the city and relieve rush hour traffic.

The Rotherwas rail link sounds a great idea!

Maybe there could be bicycle hire available at some stations? (And suitable cycle routes put in place.)

Or in Hereford, what about a shuttle bus between the station and Hightown/Old Market? Then people would be more likely to leave their cars at home and use the train to come in to Hereford to shop or work?

I think its very unfair that theres just 3 stations in herefordshire (4 if you want to count Colwall) They have 3 just in malvern! a town half the size of hereford.

I know colwall is technically part of herefordshire but I think most people will see it as a part of malvern.