BROCKINGTON

Denise Lloyd

Am I correct in thinking that Brockington used to be the HQ for Tate & Lyle or British Sugar Corporation or something to do with sugar production?  At one time not so long ago a lot of sugar beet was grown in this county. Having lived in Hafod Road once upon a time I remember walking past this building and looking at it in awe.

I think it is a magnificent building and hope beyond hope that it is listed.  

Mind you I would prefer that the Council did something with these "surplus/redundant" buildings rather than sell them off to pay their bills.  They are always seeking innovative forward thinking overpaid staff you would think one of the bright sparks would say hang on a moment we could do this or that with the building and so on.  But no I think it just goes to show that the majority of these forward thinkers are just brown nosing yes people who are afraid to go against the flow because dam it all they are onto too gooder a thing at the moment. 

Probably the case that Thorn is cheaper to run and cannot be sold whilst Brockington can

Also moving all the IT servers etc. and reconnecting it all would cost quite a bit I guess

I see no reason why it could not be converted to apartments as it is unlikely that there is an office business locally who would need a building of that size.

I guess we will have to trust them to make the right decision :Happy_32:

It was the home for West Mercia Police before it went to South Herefordshire District Council

As to its future I believe there is a covenant which would prevent any development in the grounds and also which restricts the price at which it can be sold

Nothing to stop the council giving it away or as in the case of Guy Taylor, Bodenham Manor being sold after auction for an undisclosed amount and possibly resold on.

• 2 months later...

Joined up thinking.

The county spends a fortune for youngsters and young adults with disabilities and learning difficulties to go to out of county residential places.

Barrs Court special school is in a very confined site on a busy road with very little greenery.

The council has a large attractive building in the kind of pleasant environment that these people could benefit from

The council insists that it prioritises the vulnerable.

The council would like to borrow money to buy 3 Elms trading estate, so it is a case of priorities.

As an example, I have seen details of a place (somewhere on the Somerset coast I think)  that is a hotel that accommodates paying guests, but most of the staff are adults with learning difficulties who are, at the same time, receiving training in catering, hospitality, administration etc.  It costs money for them to be there but it is the kind of facility that gives dignity to all concerned.  If one was near me, I would happily go there for meals.  The council would also have `in house' accommodation for guests etc.

Joined up thinking.

The county spends a fortune for youngsters and young adults with disabilities and learning difficulties to go to out of county residential places.

Barrs Court special school is in a very confined site on a busy road with very little greenery.

The council has a large attractive building in the kind of pleasant environment that these people could benefit from

The council would like to borrow money to buy 3 Elms trading estate, so it is a case of priorities.

As an example, I have seen details of a place (somewhere on the Somerset coast I think) that is a hotel that accommodates paying guests, but most of the staff are adults with learning difficulties who are, at the same time, receiving training in catering, hospitality, administration etc. It costs money for them to be there but it is the kind of facility that gives dignity to all concerned. If one was near me, I would happily go there for meals. The council would also have `in house' accommodation for guests etc.

That's a really good idea GDJ it's a shame the council don't like listening to brilliant ideas from people who are not in there sphere they only see the £££'s & what they can get out of it for there own self indulgence!!!

Joined up thinking.

As an example, I have seen details of a place (somewhere on the Somerset coast I think)  that is a hotel that accommodates paying guests, but most of the staff are adults with learning difficulties who are, at the same time, receiving training in catering, hospitality, administration etc.  It costs money for them to be there but it is the kind of facility that gives dignity to all concerned.  If one was near me, I would happily go there for meals.  The council would also have `in house' accommodation for guests etc.

Excellent idea! Sell Barrs Court site for housing and reduce the traffic issues there as well. How much do we pay senior officers - the 'going rate for the best' - so why haven't they come up with this?

Cambo. It was always going to be put on the open market. the sole agent is Luke Brittain-for Connells in Bristol. Brockington is not listed but there are covenants on the building. The development brief is for part conversion to the house with 15 high quality dwellings in the grounds. Personally I think the selling price of £1.5m is to low. See page 90 of this weeks H.T. for details.

Covenants attached.

C: Charges Register
This register contains any charges and other matters that affect the land.

1 A Conveyance of the land tinted pink on the filed plan and other land
dated 22 October 1909 made between (1) Stephen Robinson (Vendor) and
(2) William James Bowers (Purchaser) contains covenants details of
which are set out in the schedule of restrictive covenants hereto.
Schedule of restrictive covenants

1 The following are details of the covenants contained in the Conveyance
dated 22 October 1909 referred to in the Charges Register:-
The Purchaser for himself and his assigns (to the intent that the
covenant thereinafter contained should bind not only the Purchaser
himself but so far as may be all persons deriving tittle under him but
not so as to render the purchaser personally laible in damages for any
breach of such covenant after he had ceased to have any interest in the
hereditaments thereby assured) doth thereby covenant with the Vendor
his heirs and assigns that the Purchaser his heirs and assigns would at
all times thereafter observe and comply with the restrictions and

stipulations in reference to the hereditaments thereby assured which
were contained in the said first Schedule thereto

THE FIRST SCHEDULE
1. THE purchaser should erect and forever thereafter maintain a good and
sufficient boundary fence to separate the pieces of land thereby
assured (thereinafter referred ot as 'the said land') from the
adjoining land of the Vendor such fence to follow the course of the
dotted lines shown on the said map or plan and thereon denoted by the
letters X, Y, Z and to extend from the point denoted by the letter X on
the said map or plan to the point denoted by the letter Z thereon

2. NOR more than eight dwellinghouses with the usual necessary
outbuildings stabling coachhouses and offices for the slame
respectively should be erected on the said land and the cost of each
dwellinghouse so erected (including the cost of the outbuildings
stabling coachhouses and offices belonging thereto) should not be less
than £600

3. EACH dwellinghouse erected on the said land and every part thereof
should be on the eastern side of an imaginary line running paralled
with Hafod Road aforesaid and at a distance of 25 feet therefrom (the
jposition of such imaginary line being shown on the said map or plan by
dotted lines thereon denoted by the words 'building line') and no
building projection or structure should (except with the written
consent of the Vendor his heirs or assigns or his or their agent) be
erected made or placed on any part of the said land which lies between
the said imaginary line and Hafod Road but this proviso shall not
prevent the purchaser from erecting and maintaining a wall or fence not
exceeding 5ft 6 ins in height on the saidl and ot separate it form
Hafod Road or gate posts or gate piers and a gate or gates not
exceeding 19 feet in height

4. NO building or other erection should be built or made upon the said
land except in accordance with plans and elevations previously approved
by the Vendor his heirs or assigns or his or their agent but such
approval should not be vexaciously or unreasonably withheld and in
particular should not be withheld by reason of the architecture or
design of any such building or other erection being of a different
character from that of the dwelling houses already erected in Hafod Road
or thereabouts

5. THE purchaser should not (except with the written consent of the
Vendor his heirs or assigns or his or their agent) permit or suffer any
dwellinghosue which may be erected on the said land to be used at any
time thereafter as a public house or as premises licensed for the sale
of intoxicating liquors or refreshments nor should the purchaser
(except with the like consent) carry on or permit or suffer to be
carried on upon the said land or in any building erected thereon any
trade business or manufacture and should use the dwellinghouses erected
on the said land as private dwellinghouses only and should use such
parts of the said land as should not be built upon as gardens or
pleasure grounds or ornamental paddocks and not for any other purpose."

15 dwellings in the ad above. Does that include the main house?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Council seem to be keeping progress on this sale very quiet - tired old 'commercial confidentiality' excuse again?

Personally I think that the Councils "Defence" is round objects - if I sell my house all interested parties are aware of the last offer so there is NO commercial confidential . It, to my mind proves that it's just getting worse AND the Cllrs are watching it get worse , they are only interested in their own " Patch " they are not, to my mind fighting for the whole City .

If I am wrong , then I am wrong but that is my opinion and ,I should add its the opinion of a good number of educated friends that I circulate with .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...