Ten days left to vacuum up a powerful cleaner

megilleland

From BBC Business News today:

Anyone wanting to buy a powerful vacuum cleaner has only 10 days left to be certain of getting one - following new EU rules that come in next month. 

From 1 September, companies in the EU will be banned from making or importing vacuum cleaners above 1600 watts.

In one recent study, five of the top seven cleaners had motors of more than 1600 watts.

The new European rules are part of the EU's energy efficiency directive, designed to help tackle climate change.

Just checked mine - 1800 watts. Why not put 1200cc engines in all cars as well. I can see the EU bringing back the peoples' car endorsed by previous dictators.

How pathetic the EU is this is a fine example yet Fracking is okay the EU has not told us what will happen to the toxic waste a bi product of Fracking is it going to be dumped in landfill or the ocean people wake up start to reinforce our constitution as it is our rights that are being taken away by a group of unelected vermin the EU is a body of people set up by NATO ironic is it not that the idea was a Nazi one the first meeting of any EU body was chaired by Himmler in 1942 that is fact and if that does not tell you what it represents then there is no hope.

Had we invested in hydro power many years ago we would all be benefiting now tide turbine plants should have been built instead of nuclear plants as nuclear was the cheaper option same old story our wonderful old etonians know whats best the only school i know where they educate people beyond there intelligence ?

Well that's it for me. They can get stuffed! I'll be damned if I go along with this madness anymore. From hereon, I'm doing two things.

Firstly I'm going to start burning. Yes, burning it all in my back garden. Whether its paper, garden rubbish or plastic rotten bottles, I'm burning it. And what's more, I won't stop. This is my back garden, it's my rubbish and I'll now dispose of it however I see fit.

I don't care if that bloody satellite monitoring our carbon emissions suddenly stops its orbital flight, zooms in on me and indicates to the EU and the Councils highly paid Carbon Emmisions Officer that some mad tw.at in Hereford is generating a great deal of smoke. And if they come round here and tell me that's its 'me' that's destroying their target emissions and because of my actions half an acre of ice has just melted off of the coast of Greenland, I'll tell them, 'clear off or I'll attack you with my now outlawed Dyson Hoover'.

Secondly, from hereon, my house and this tiny plot of land I bloody own is now from hereon, annexed from both the European Union and the United Kimgdom. Yes! I'm forming my own sovereign state.

God knows what I'll call myself but from hereon anyone, whether its the Postman, the bloody Milkman or the lad who delivers my Admag, will need a British Passport if ever they wish to communicate with or do business with me. I'm going it alone.

And furthermore, if this venture becomes a costly excercise then I'll just declare war on some European Soverign State. That'll get John Kerry off his backside racing round to my abode to avert another global catastrophe. He'll shower me with aid amounting to billions of dollars on the understanding I don't build a bomb or invade a peaceful foreign nation.

If this is what the European is, I want no part of it. I'm going it alone.

Yes....mine's an 1800, and I don't find it particularly powerful!

I had been thinking about going for a dyson, as they are supposed to be great at picking up dog hair!

I mean, what's going to happen to all those hoovers currently on sale?

What are the manufacturers going to do?

This is a ridiculous situation!

20 September, 2013

Ecodesign requirements and energy labelling of vacuum cleaners (ErP lot 17)

1) Ecodesign requirements for vacuum cleaners

COMMISSION REGULATION (EU) No 666/2013 of 8th July, 2013 implementing Directive 2009/125/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to ecodesign requirements for vacuum cleaners will come into effect from 1st September, 2014. The EU Commission published the content in the Official Journal of the European Union

The scope includes:

Electric mains-operated vacuum cleaners, including hybrid vacuum cleaners

Hybrid vacuum cleaners: Only in the mains-operated state covered.

Out of the scope:

Wet, wet and dry, battery operated, robot, industrial, outdoor, central vacuum cleaners, and floor polishers.

Transitional provision

The Regulation shall apply to water filter vacuum

cleaners from 4 years after the entry into force of the Regulation with regard

to ecodesign requirements for vacuum cleaners.

The ecodesign requirements include

energy caps

1st September, 2014: 1600 W

1st September, 2017: 900 W

requirements on dust pick-up, dust re-emission

durability tests

2) Energy labelling of vacuum cleaners

COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) No 665/2013 of 3rd May, 2013 supplementing Directive 2010/30/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council with regard to energy labelling of vacuum cleaners will come into effect from 1st September, 2014.

The scope includes:

Electric mains-operated vacuum cleaners, including hybrid vacuum cleaners

Hybrid vacuum

cleaners: Only in the mains-operated state covered.

Out of the scope:

Wet, wet and dry,

battery operated, robot, industrial, outdoor, central vacuum cleaners, and

floor polishers.

An important information is that vacuum cleaners placed on the market from 1st September, 2014 on, shall have labels in accordance with label 1 of Annex II;

Vacuum cleaners, which are placed on the market from 1st September, 2017 on, shall have labels in accordance with label 2 of Annex II.

Sooooo......for how long will I be able to purchase a legitimate and powerful hoover?

At what point, will I have to go onto the black market to buy an "under the counter" hoover which actually does the job it's manufacturers intended it to do?

What penalties will be introduced to combat "hoover dealing"?

If I nip down to Curry's after the 1st of September, will I not be able to get one?

I have to say, 1600 is ridiculous......and 900 is beyond a joke.

I actually sneeze an awful lot if there's dust! It's my bodies way of reminding me to vacuum thoroughly!

I shall be permanently snivelling and sniffing with a 900......surely this somehow infringes on my human right to live in a clean and dust free environment??

I think I may have a case!

Found a Which article which states that my 2200w machine costs £28 per year to run and a 1200w costs £12 a year so when my Electricity bill is about £1200 a year doing what they are doing ain't going to make much of a difference to anything or anybody.

If I throw mine away which bin do I put it in?

New EU rules which could see families and pensioners having to separate their rubbish into six separate bins have been labelled as ‘farcical’ by UKIP’s North East Euro MP, Jonathan Arnott. 

Britain’s biggest waste firm, Veolia, warned “From January 2015, EU rules mean households and businesses may need to separate their waste into six separate bins. Veolia thinks most of the sorting can be done post-collection and that four bins are more than enoughâ€.

Hi Chris, I don't know - but maybe they will not be allowed to manufacture and sell these powerful hoovers??

If they don't make them - we as consumers, can't buy them!

I think Jeremy Vine is doing a feature on this very subject on his Radio 2 show today....12-2pm.

Quite a coincidence that his brother, Tim, won a comedy award recently for his one-liner......"I'm selling my hoover.....it's just collecting dust!"

I wonder if we will be arrested for having a hoover that's over the EU power limits :P

No Biomech, but gardeners with sit-on lawnmowers face buying motor insurance. European ruling next month could force gardeners with ride-on mowers to take out insurance against accidents on private land.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, has been told that all owners of ride-on mowers may be forced to pay for the cover, even if the vehicle never leaves their garden.

That'll stop people using them for popping down the pub!