South Wye Transport Package - Update

Glenda Powell

Recently resurfaced eh??

Gosh, how fortunate is that......

Anybody else had the leaflet and follow up email from Jesse Norman??

Two Wheels will like this.....a promise of 6000 jobs for the enterprise zone!

Doesn't say when that's likely to happen though!

The traffic coming into Hereford especially from the south is an utter nightmare, I am in favour of a light out trial, the traffic moves at a much better pace when they are out of order. We need another river crossing there will always be someone unhappy but all this stalling nothing will ever be achieved otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
It would be good to publish any traffic surveys conducted on the Belmont and Whitecross roads, along with results of questions of the driving public. These areas continue to have large scale domestic housing construction projects granted planning permission but nothing is being done to improve the infra- structure. The vast majority of traffic on the Belmont Road is heading North over the Wye Bridge so the proposed A465 link road to Rotherwas is a complete red herring. People do not turn up at meetings and exhibitions because they feel their views will fall on deaf ears and be ignored. I live on Haywood lane and , Monday to Sunday, it can take an hour or more to get into Hereford City Centre, and at the end of the day another hour to get home. Infrastructure should come before housing, this Council has allowed all commercial development to take place North of the river with major housing projects taking place south of the river and no account taken of the increased traffic created. The Link road should not go ahead but the A49 should be made into a dual carriageway to the A449, thus linking Rotherwas and Hereford to the national motorway network.
When Roads are too narrow for bus lanes, traffic lights should be used to prioritise public transport, as in Gloucester and many other cities. Also bus routes are so complicated its still quicker to travel by car. For me its quicker to Shop in Ross or Abergavenny, and often Cardiff.

It would be good to publish any traffic surveys conducted on the Belmont and Whitecross roads, along with results of questions of the driving public. These areas continue to have large scale domestic housing construction projects granted planning permission but nothing is being done to improve the infra- structure. The vast majority of traffic on the Belmont Road is heading North over the Wye Bridge so the proposed A465 link road to Rotherwas is a complete red herring. People do not turn up at meetings and exhibitions because they feel their views will fall on deaf ears and be ignored. I live on Haywood lane and , Monday to Sunday, it can take an hour or more to get into Hereford City Centre, and at the end of the day another hour to get home. Infrastructure should come before housing, this Council has allowed all commercial development to take place North of the river with major housing projects taking place south of the river and no account taken of the increased traffic created. The Link road should not go ahead but the A49 should be made into a dual carriageway to the A449, thus linking Rotherwas and Hereford to the national motorway network.
When Roads are too narrow for bus lanes, traffic lights should be used to prioritise public transport, as in Gloucester and many other cities. Also bus routes are so complicated its still quicker to travel by car. For me its quicker to Shop in Ross or Abergavenny, and often Cardiff.

I completely agree, traffic south Hereford is a nightmare and has been for many years. There must be some sort of publication available or past surveys?

Oh if only some of you sensible people were on the Planning Committee.  However sadly houses pay the council's bills and the council are driven to build more houses.  To park in Abergavenny £1.00 for 2 hours.   Surely the results of the survey were published in the consultation papers for this so called SLR road. 

OK there are other forums on HV which have discussed this road however I'm struggling to think of anyone who supports it at least without another bridge crossing. ( 2 if we want a complete ring road). I can see it now 2018.. probably 2019! An HGV driver joins the back of the queue near Callow Marsh heading into Hereford on A49. So he finally gets to the roundabout and opts for the new first left offering which takes him to another huge queue which in five years time and thousands of homes later will be stacked up on the A465 tailing back as far as Kilpeck ....what a Killjoy.

Seriously though if this road goes ahead without any kind of supported river crossing it will make this County a laughing stock.